McEichel really?

beerme1

My question is this: if you were GMTM, would you try to move Stafford, Stewart, Myers, etc. right now for a lesser return (but ensure a complete tank) or trade them later when we will get more for them (and risk an incomplete tank)?

If one gets hot and the right offer is there send him packing. Otherwise deadline for Stewart/Stafford and if you move Myers at all you may get more in a big draft day deal.

I understand it. It's so simple a concept, that when I did look it up recently I was more than a bit surprised. This is the vaunted analytics? So some pencil necks in short sleeve dress shirts crunch some numbers and come to a conclusion that every hockey man since the invention of ice innately understands?

The Sabres have beaten San Jose and Detroit and gotten points against Montreal and Boston. If they can do that while playing as poorly as the statistics suggest, what's going to happen when NHL players inevitably move closer to the mean? This team will not average 1.2 goals a game during an entire season. And... the goaltending has been pretty good.

Technically what you looked up was the statistic. Analytics is the application of statistics to evaluate and make decisions :)

On a much more serious note, there's not much of a reason to believe that the possession numbers will "regress" towards the NHL average--all it's likely to do is move towards the roster's true talent level, which is very low. From last year we got rid of our best possession player and filled in gaps with poor possession players, so there's a very good chance we end up worse than last year in possession. And we were horrid last year.

What really irritates me is that people seem to think that our first overall pick will be the only player added to the team next year. Whatever they get, there is going to be a hell of a lot of additional moves to go along with it. That pick is just the cornerstone, they're going to be building a lot more to go along with it.

What really irritates me is that people seem to think that our first overall pick will be the only player added to the team next year. Whatever they get, there is going to be a hell of a lot of additional moves to go along with it. That pick is just the cornerstone, they're going to be building a lot more to go along with it.

Not only that, many players in the Sabres system will be here next year. We should expect, in the very least, Grigs, Armia, and (maybe) Reinhart should be here full time. Them, plus McDavid. It's going to be a completely new team next year and this is when the fun's going to start.

Not only that, many players in the Sabres system will be here next year. We should expect, in the very least, Grigs, Armia, and (maybe) Reinhart should be here full time. Them, plus McDavid. It's going to be a completely new team next year and this is when the fun's going to start.

Plus Pysyk and McCabe. I'd expect 1-2 trades by the end of the off season and a couple of FA signings. Close to 1/2 of this game day roster will be different next year.

Close cousin to this argument is the "It will be at least X years before we're good again." It also completely ignores the possibility of trades and free agent signings, *and* how quickly things can change in pro sports.

No one knows the future and things change FAST in pro sports. A lot can happen in just a couple years.

McDeichel.

It just sounds better. And again, I'd be happy with either of them. Eichel is a long strider with deceptive speed and puck control and has great vision. It'll be interesting to watch him vs. Canada in the under 20 world junior tourney in a couple months.

But perhaps the biggest thing to remember is, as somebody posted above, neither of McDeichel will be a savior. But in a rebuild, you have to have that cornerstone in place and both these guys have cornerstone written all over them.

We are gonna have a ton of cap room to help surround them with top-notch veteran talent as well as the consensus best prospect pool in the game. And an owner that will spare no expense in doing whatever it takes.

GO SABRES!!!

McDeichel.

It just sounds better. And again, I'd be happy with either of them. Eichel is a long strider with deceptive speed and puck control and has great vision. It'll be interesting to watch him vs. Canada in the under 20 world junior tourney in a couple months.

But perhaps the biggest thing to remember is, as somebody posted above, neither of McDeichel will be a savior. But in a rebuild, you have to have that cornerstone in place and both these guys have cornerstone written all over them.

We are gonna have a ton of cap room to help surround them with top-notch veteran talent as well as the consensus best prospect pool in the game. And an owner that will spare no expense in doing whatever it takes.

GO SABRES!!!

word

Close cousin to this argument is the "It will be at least X years before we're good again." It also completely ignores the possibility of trades and free agent signings, *and* how quickly things can change in pro sports.

No one knows the future and things change FAST in pro sports. A lot can happen in just a couple years.

This.

There are rumors with the Canadian Dollar remaining lower that the Salary Cap might not rise too much for next season. As a result teams are going to need to make trades to get under the cap, much like the Hawks did with Leddy and Bruins did with Boychuk. The Sabres are over twenty million under the cap for next year and will be in a great position with picks and prospects to make some moves.

Look at the Kings in this coming offseason both Pearson and Toffoli will be RFAs and Kopitar is a UFA after the 2015-16 Season. These three probably will be resigned, but some players will have to be traded or not tendered contracts.

Other teams will be faced by the same dilemma as well

Plus Eichel is competing against players four to five years older him. He has 5g and 5a in six games, against arguably better competition than in the OHL. If Eichel was on a CHL Squad he would be putting up McDavid Numbers himself.

GMTM is heading to Boston at the end of the month on a scouting trip. He was asked in an interview yesterday on GR about the gap between McDavid and Eichel, his response there isn't one as of now.

True about the age thing but not so sure about the talent level but I do like your point.

I recommend you go watch some video of Jack at college. The Kane v Toews analogy is actually fairly accurate. To me the thing that separates them is which one I think will be able to translate his game to the NHL and thrive in the playoffs. The first part is both games translate. The second part I am unsure of. Either way Connor Mcdavid is better than Eichel but as Tim Murray noted on the radio they are very close.

It doesn't. People seem to forget that if I put Jack Eichel on the Sabres tomorrow he would be our best center bar none. Either one is going to be the best player on their respective team within 1-3 years.

Interesting thought but I don't have the time to go dig up film of the guy! WTF I'm not a pro scout and I slept at home last night. Not a Holiday Inn lol.

I don't remember seeing it mentioned but shouldn't our second overall pick this year have been able to make the case that he also would be our best center?

McDeichel.

GO SABRES!!!

Hell ya! It will give a real true measuring stick to the whole argument watching them compete head on. That should be a great tourney and hopefully that is the highlight game.

I like the thought. It just seems so far away. I thought last year was the worst. Now, not so sure.

But assuming either McDavid lands here, he alone improves our lot in life. Something that none of those others can do and I don't think Eichel comes in with the same level that McDavid does.

Something I heard on the broadcast tonight, we were chasing the puck too much. I guess this sums up my feelings on these two guys.

With McDavid, we're controlling the puck.

With Eichel, we're chasing the puck a lot. To me that means Jack needs a better supporting cast than Connor. Connor is much more of a one man show if you will.

Eichel who just turned 18 is playing against mostly 20-23 year olds. McDavid is playing against 17-20 year olds.

As a true freshman, Eichel is leading the entire country in scoring at almost 2 points a game.

What Eichel is doing is just as impressive as the numbers McDavid is putting up against teenagers.

Eichel who just turned 18 is playing against mostly 20-23 year olds. McDavid is playing against 17-20 year olds.

As a true freshman, Eichel is leading the entire country in scoring at almost 2 points a game.

What Eichel is doing is just as impressive as the numbers McDavid is putting up against teenagers.

Good points. Maybe this is why GMTM says they're about equal. McDavid may truly be better, but I guess we'll find that out when he's not playing against high schoolers or when he's an adult himself.

Edited by kas23

Interesting thought but I don't have the time to go dig up film of the guy! WTF I'm not a pro scout and I slept at home last night. Not a Holiday Inn lol.

I don't remember seeing it mentioned but shouldn't our second overall pick this year have been able to make the case that he also would be our best center?

Sam Reinhart is in 365 days could be our best center. Samson will be fine going forward. His problem was he was his strength and brain catching up to the NHL. It will happen in short order.

As for "our best center" part, Eichel and McDavid are better than Reinhart and that isn't a knock against Sam.

McDavid and Eichel will be like Moses and Ramses - one will lead his team to the promised land, the other's house will be afflicted by seven plagues. Guess which one the Sabres will end up with?

Moses was forced to wander in the desert for 40 years and died never entering the promised land. At least Ramses made the playoffs.

No.

The kid could have that hand chopped off and he'd still go first.

Of course you're exaggerating but what if McDavid's injury is suspected of being something that could follow him for years, not enough to keep him from playing but perhaps enough to bother him? McDavid and Eichel might be close enough that it could push Eichel to number one. Just spitballin'...

Of course you're exaggerating but what if McDavid's injury is suspected of being something that could follow him for years, not enough to keep him from playing but perhaps enough to bother him? McDavid and Eichel might be close enough that it could push Eichel to number one. Just spitballin'...

We will have to wait and see but it could potentially move Eichel to first if it is a long term injury.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.