McEichel really?

beerme1

I missed seeing Jack in the prospect game. I saw Connor at the F'n arena. Not that anyone should draw a conclusion from any one game though.

In the limited games that I have seen, some video but probably no more than anyone else here. I have to say this about all this crap about 1, 1a etc.

Jack is invisible often and Connor is controlling imo. The guy. I'm not sure I understand why we compare these two. I don't see them as equally same players.

To me they are Crosby/Messier neither is wrong but they are very different and I don't get the compare.

For me:

1st pick: McDavid

2nd Eichel

Maybe I am feeling my Buffalo just in case it doesn't work out that for all this crap if we don't get McDavid?

But if I think of Connor I think of Sweet Georgia Brown run by the Harlem Globetrotters. It just happens. Sweet Georgia Brown. Natural.

If I think of Jack, I think well maybe some of the time he could be Messier. I think. But there is no music playing. I don't like that.

These two do not strike the same note for me and this is RIDICULOUS to say this given their age but, I see the skill factor of Connor far outweighing the total package of Jack. They are very different players but given the choice at this level, I HAVE to take Connor.

To me the clear winner is whoever gets Connor.

... and now the redundant apology for starting a new thread on such a topic... It's Eleven O'clock. Do you know where YOUR children are?

Edited by beerme1

I don't, jack eichel would fit us way better with his wicked shot, we already got enough playmakers on this team.

That makes no difference even if it is true. Take the best player no matter what. Who cares who is on the team now. This pick will hopefully be on the team for a decade and a half and the team will always be changing.

Either works for me overall, but I prefer McDavid. The game breaking ability and creativity in his offensive play will make this team exciting. Just my opinion. I really like Eichel and he would be a great fit either way. It sort of reminds me of a Kane versus Toews debate. Kane is the more exciting offensive dynamo versus Toews who is solid in all phases and is the "leader" you need and want to lead your team forward. Reinhart may fill the second one with some more seasoning. Either way this team needs as much offensive fire power as they can muster. Really if you look at the games versus Chicago, Montreal and others we have the ability to compete for the full 60 minutes. They are progressing.

My fear is that the Sabres will finish with the 2nd worst record, a team like Toronto or Carolina will finish with a better record but will win the lottery, and the Sabres get bumped to the 3rd pick.

The fear of all true Shart contenders. You need to be a special team to earn the Shart, just like the Cup for NHL squads. We must trust in our players, coach, GM and the bounces to deliver us salvation.

I don't care what the reasoning but can anyone really be happy with this? Sorry to some of you pro-tankers but I am not buying the "generational talent", "we have been mediocre for ever", "we will be a Cup contender in a few years" crap anymore.

I am sick of falling into this feeling of wanting to loose. Last night i was at my kids baseball game and i was checking my phone for the score. After we fell behind I was glad. At that point I thought why am I even wasting my time checking?

Let's spend the season trying to suck and then lets hope the lottery is nice to us. If anyone can convince me that is a good business plan go for it because this is crazy.

My fear is that the Sabres will finish with the 2nd worst record, a team like Toronto or Carolina will finish with a better record but will win the lottery, and the Sabres get bumped to the 3rd pick.

My fear is I have to spend the next 7 months reading this sort of thing. We're the worst team in the league and it's really not even close. Plus, this is *before* Murray does any roster manipulation, and before the players really start running for the bus. We may not have great odds of winning the lottery, but we have a great chance to finish last.

To the OP, please forgive us. We are Buffalo fans. We expect failure. It is currently our business plan. We all know that McDavid is the true prize. We also know that after back to back historically bad seasons (and a few more pretty awful ones before that), there is no way that we get him. The sports gods would just not allow that and history has proven it to be true.

By convincing ourselves that Eichel is just as good, when we lose the lottery and don't get Connor, we can still feel good that we actually got the guy we really wanted. It's self preservation, like rooting for the tank itself. By convincing ourselves that what is bad is actually good, we can smile ourselves to sleep after a loss, instead of waking up in the middle of the night with cold sweats to face the cruel reality of our situation.

And if we don't get either, well, we will console ourselves by saying that at least this is a historically deep draft and it was still worth it. If we do this enough times, season after season, always looking to the future, eventually, we will die, and all this pain will be over.

For today, though, sweet dreams, tankers, sleep tight.

Edited by SwampD

My fear is I have to spend the next 7 months reading this sort of thing. We're the worst team in the league and it's really not even close. Plus, this is *before* Murray does any roster manipulation, and before the players really start running for the bus. We may not have great odds of winning the lottery, but we have a great chance to finish last.

I'm not sure about your point saying we're the worst team and it's not even close. Maybe five or six games ago I would have agreed but we are playing much better lately. We easily could have won that game last night IMO. I just wish the sabres would create some separation from the bottom of the pack so I won't be so pissed if they pick up meaningless points.

I do like your point on roster changes. Also keep in mind that the injury bug hasn't hit us like it has with some of the other bottom feeders. Imagine losing Ennis and Myers to long term injury.

To fla: the tank talk has been hashed to great lengths at this point. Either you agree the long term benefit to the team is losing this year (in which it is obvious we are not making the playoffs) and getting a guy pegged as a franchise player or you feel winning now will help the development of our current players / you already can't take it anymore. I firmly believe we need to continue the course and after this meaningless season we can enjoy sitting at the edge of our seats watching a potential superstar for the next decade. Neither side of the coin is wrong and nobody else can make that decision for you.

To the OP. please forgive us. We are Buffalo fans. We expect failure. It is currently our business plan. We all know that McDavid is the true prize. We also know that after back to back historically bad seasons (and a few more pretty awful ones before that), there is no way that we get him. The sports gods would just not allow that and history has proven it to be true.

By convincing ourselves that Eichel is just as good, when we lose the lottery don't get Connor, we can still feel good that we actually got the guy we really wanted. It's self preservation, like rooting for the tank itself. By convincing ourselves that what is bad is actually good, we can smile ourselves to sleep after a loss, instead of waking up in the middle of the night with cold sweats to face the cruel reality of our situation.

And if we don't get either, well, we will console ourselves by saying that at least this is a historically deep draft and it was still worth it. If we do this enough times, season after season, always looking to the future, eventually, we will die, and all this pain will be over.

Eichel is in the MacKinnon class (or maybe better). I don't see how that classifies as "bad" even if McDavid is better.

I'm not sure about your point saying we're the worst team and it's not even close. Maybe five or six games ago I would have agreed but we are playing much better lately. We easily could have won that game last night IMO. I just wish the sabres would create some separation from the bottom of the pack so I won't be so pissed if they pick up meaningless points.

I do like your point on roster changes. Also keep in mind that the injury bug hasn't hit us like it has with some of the other bottom feeders. Imagine losing Ennis and Myers to long term injury.

To fla: the tank talk has been hashed to great lengths at this point. Either you agree the long term benefit to the team is losing this year (in which it is obvious we are not making the playoffs) and getting a guy pegged as a franchise player or you feel winning now will help the development of our current players / you already can't take it anymore. I firmly believe we need to continue the course and after this meaningless season we can enjoy sitting at the edge of our seats watching a potential superstar for the next decade. Neither side of the coin is wrong and nobody else can make that decision for you.

In Corsi we trust. In Fenwick we believe.

We're the worst, and it's not close.

I disagree, the Anti-Tankers are clearly wrong!

Edited by Crusader1969

Plus Eichel is competing against players four to five years older him. He has 5g and 5a in six games, against arguably better competition than in the OHL. If Eichel was on a CHL Squad he would be putting up McDavid Numbers himself.

GMTM is heading to Boston at the end of the month on a scouting trip. He was asked in an interview yesterday on GR about the gap between McDavid and Eichel, his response there isn't one as of now.

Edited by BRAWNDO

McDonalds or bust. I hear the food at Eichels is so so.

What I don't understand is all the whining about the tank. ( I prefer epic rebuild ) Its out of our control, its a runaway train. Its something that was started in ernest by a former GM who essentially passed the torch to GMTM who has gone with it. He had no choice but to continue the clean sweep because at that point it was already a tirefire and the unrestricted free agents weren't going to sign. Let em go and get something, anything. Its happening. Deal with it. Stop watching if you have to but quit friggin whining. Its unmanly. Pathetic. You all know who you are. Deal with it.

Anyways McDavid is the prize but Eichel would be a pretty decent consolation.

Eichel is in the MacKinnon class (or maybe better). I don't see how that classifies as "bad" even if McDavid is better.

In Corsi we trust. In Fenwick we believe.

We're the worst, and it's not close.

Nice, these things make me feel better. Our numbers over the last 7 must be much better than the first 7 or however many we've played I would think though.

Nice, these things make me feel better. Our numbers over the last 7 must be much better than the first 7 or however many we've played I would think though.

I'd have to check, but the more recent games have been a bit better. But the first stretch was so bad I honestly don't think NHL players could possibly sustain it. We had something like 30% of the shot attempts for awhile, that wasn't going to continue.

Just always keep in mind these are long term measures with predictive value--we can rattle off some games where we look respectable without changing the overall outlook. We're safe :)

I missed seeing Jack in the prospect game. I saw Connor at the F'n arena. Not that anyone should draw a conclusion from any one game though.

In the limited games that I have seen, some video but probably no more than anyone else here. I have to say this about all this crap about 1, 1a etc.

Jack is invisible often and Connor is controlling imo. The guy. I'm not sure I understand why we compare these two. I don't see them as equally same players.

To me they are Crosby/Messier neither is wrong but they are very different and I don't get the compare.

For me:

1st pick: McDavid

2nd Eichel

Maybe I am feeling my Buffalo just in case it doesn't work out that for all this crap if we don't get McDavid?

But if I think of Connor I think of Sweet Georgia Brown run by the Harlem Globetrotters. It just happens. Sweet Georgia Brown. Natural.

If I think of Jack, I think well maybe some of the time he could be Messier. I think. But there is no music playing. I don't like that.

These two do not strike the same note for me and this is RIDICULOUS to say this given their age but, I see the skill factor of Connor far outweighing the total package of Jack. They are very different players but given the choice at this level, I HAVE to take Connor.

To me the clear winner is whoever gets Connor.

... and now the redundant apology for starting a new thread on such a topic... It's Eleven O'clock. Do you know where YOUR children are?

I recommend you go watch some video of Jack at college. The Kane v Toews analogy is actually fairly accurate. To me the thing that separates them is which one I think will be able to translate his game to the NHL and thrive in the playoffs. The first part is both games translate. The second part I am unsure of. Either way Connor Mcdavid is better than Eichel but as Tim Murray noted on the radio they are very close.

It doesn't. People seem to forget that if I put Jack Eichel on the Sabres tomorrow he would be our best center bar none. Either one is going to be the best player on their respective team within 1-3 years.

What I don't understand is all the whining about the tank. ( I prefer epic rebuild ) Its out of our control, its a runaway train. Its something that was started in ernest by a former GM who essentially passed the torch to GMTM who has gone with it. He had no choice but to continue the clean sweep because at that point it was already a tirefire and the unrestricted free agents weren't going to sign. Let em go and get something, anything. Its happening. Deal with it. Stop watching if you have to but quit friggin whining. Its unmanly. Pathetic. You all know who you are. Deal with it.

Thank you. I've yet to hear any reasonable non-tank plan that could have done anything but deliver a 20th place finish (again) at best. Do you want your ###### sundae with two scoops or one? That is the only choice. Man up and choke down your two scoops Sabres fans.

To the OP, please forgive us. We are Buffalo fans. We expect failure. It is currently our business plan. We all know that McDavid is the true prize. We also know that after back to back historically bad seasons (and a few more pretty awful ones before that), there is no way that we get him. The sports gods would just not allow that and history has proven it to be true.

By convincing ourselves that Eichel is just as good, when we lose the lottery and don't get Connor, we can still feel good that we actually got the guy we really wanted. It's self preservation, like rooting for the tank itself. By convincing ourselves that what is bad is actually good, we can smile ourselves to sleep after a loss, instead of waking up in the middle of the night with cold sweats to face the cruel reality of our situation.

#tankforever

No. You deal with it.

I don't think people from either side of the tank should be putting down the other side. There's no one way to be a fan. With that said -- what could you possibly expect other than a mountain of losses? Might as well look at the bright side of them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.