1st Round pick #2 Sam Reinhart

spndnchz

He could also honestly love the fanbase

Well, when he had a real chance of going to Florida it's probably relief.

All I was trying to say (and I think you don't necessarily disagree) is that a wowzer highlight reel doesn't mean NHL ready. (Remember Linus Omark's highlight reel?)

Thought process on seeing Omark's name: Oh, yeah, that guy. What year did he play with the team again? Crap, this year? Either he made no impression or I'm getting old.

First of all, he's probably being honest about not having any special preference for playing with one guy or another on the team. Which is good, because he has bigger things to think about right now.

Second, even if he did, what's the upside to giving really specific answers? Nothing. He doesn't know anyone on the team, he has no NHL experience, and today is his first day in Buffalo. He'll sound like an idiot if he starts running his mouth and saying anything beyond being excited to be here so that he can work hard and learn. Just keep it vague and move on. This is basic risk/reward.

He said he had spoken to and hung out with Myers and Hodgson on the Canadian national team.

Then he gets asked "Which forward on the roster are most excited to play with?" and he answers "Umm idk, any of them, I am just excited and thrilled to be here"

Kinda makes me wish he would actually answer the ###### question and stop acting like he only has a limited number of responses.

Kid's already showing leadership by not alienating anyone he doesn't name. I wonder if this is part of the high hockey IQ the scouts are always talking about.

My opinion has always been fans henpeck the words of athletes way too much. Because of that, they get homogenized into robo-athlete. Meh. Who cares what any of them say anyway?

This is like my comment in the FA Frenzy thread. Most of the time you can't play into what any of them say. It's all hedged comments that can be spun any way they would like depending on what happens.

What I would like to see is someone who isn't polished and just appreciates the game like a fan would. I'd love to see an athlete show real enthusiasm. I know it's bred out of them, but just once wouldn't it be cool to see someone say.

"Man, this game was intense tonight. We had people slamming each other all over the place. Did you see the hit that Johnny X (opponent) laid on our guy? That is what the game is all about. Of course Joey Y (teammate) was all over the place tonight as well. That shot, in the third, was insane!"

I mean.. it would be cool, right?

This is like my comment in the FA Frenzy thread. Most of the time you can't play into what any of them say. It's all hedged comments that can be spun any way they would like depending on what happens.

What I would like to see is someone who isn't polished and just appreciates the game like a fan would. I'd love to see an athlete show real enthusiasm. I know it's bred out of them, but just once wouldn't it be cool to see someone say.

"Man, this game was intense tonight. We had people slamming each other all over the place. Did you see the hit that Johnny X (opponent) laid on our guy? That is what the game is all about. Of course Joey Y (teammate) was all over the place tonight as well. That shot, in the third, was insane!"

I mean.. it would be cool, right?

Sounds like JP Losman.

I liked his interviews. Most others panned him for it.

Sounds like JP Losman.

Dang.. not being much of a football fan I never really heard him give an interview. However, I do picture it being like Brett Favre smacking the ass of the defensive player who just crushed him into the turf. I always like that about Favre. Kind of an on the field, in the moment, display of appreciation on how the game should be played.

Sounds like JP Losman.

People were pissed at Losman because he quoted Yoda (as a joke!) in a post-game interview after a big comeback win. (It was funny, but people need designated individuals to criticize and once there's a meme that you're stupid, everyone loves to pile on.)

Like I said, there's not a lot of upside to these guys going off-script in interviews. For every Mohammed Ali or Joe Namath, there are about 1000 guys who get criticized if they say something unexpected.

Sounds like JP Losman.

Brett Favre and Jared Allen are like that. Those two would trash talk and kill each other all game, and appreciate it. Sadly, it's even harder for honesty now because you have all of Youtube and Twitter out there just trying to make you look like a fool or get you in trouble. It's society in general...even comedians are out there apologizing now. "Brave" New World.

OK, I was thinking about how I feel about having Reinhart on the Sabres next year and it occurred to me that there is a level of play he could demonstrate in his 9-game tryout that would be so high that it would be impossible to send him down. And then I got to thinking -- what if we hit the jackpot and Reinhart turns out to be a superstar? They say he has great hockey vision, the game slows down for him, etc. -- what if he takes the NHL game in stride and makes like Neo in the Matrix? What if he puts up 6-8-14 in those 9 games and the Sabres go 6-3?

It probably won't happen, but maybe, maybe it's our turn for something amazing to happen.

Go Sabres.

OK, I was thinking about how I feel about having Reinhart on the Sabres next year and it occurred to me that there is a level of play he could demonstrate in his 9-game tryout that would be so high that it would be impossible to send him down. And then I got to thinking -- what if we hit the jackpot and Reinhart turns out to be a superstar? They say he has great hockey vision, the game slows down for him, etc. -- what if he takes the NHL game in stride and makes like Neo in the Matrix? What if he puts up 6-8-14 in those 9 games and the Sabres go 6-3?

It probably won't happen, but maybe, maybe it's our turn for something amazing to happen.

Go Sabres.

I think Reinhart is a player that can adjust to the speed right away. If he can stick I would keep expectations modest though.

I would only keep him up only if I could expect a 30 to 40 point season.

I think Reinhart is a player that can adjust to the speed right away. If he can stick I would keep expectations modest though.

I would only keep him up only if I could expect a 30 to 40 point season.

If he's just as good as Sean Monahan, he'll nail a 30 point season.

All indications from Junior and International Competition indicate that he is better. More on the level with McKinnon. Look at the 2012 IH18 tournament where Reinhart (as a 16 year old) played on the same team as Monahan and MacKinnon. Reinhart put up 8 pts in 5 games compared to Monahans 3 and MacKinnon's 11.

I like his chances.

If he's just as good as Sean Monahan, he'll nail a 30 point season.

All indications from Junior and International Competition indicate that he is better. More on the level with McKinnon. Look at the 2012 IH18 tournament where Reinhart (as a 16 year old) played on the same team as Monahan and MacKinnon. Reinhart put up 8 pts in 5 games compared to Monahans 3 and MacKinnon's 11.

I like his chances.

The problem, though, is that Mackinnon could be moved around because Colorado had the depth. Do you really want Samson to draw first line coverage every night? The results could be really underwhelming.

The problem, though, is that Mackinnon could be moved around because Colorado had the depth. Do you really want Samson to draw first line coverage every night? The results could be really underwhelming.

We don't have any less depth than Calgary, though. I don't think he'll do as well as MacKinnon (69pts?) but I think he'll do better than Monahans 34 points.

W/ Reinhart's selection at #2 overall, he and his dad are the highest drafted father/son combo in NHL history (supplanting his father & brother for that distinction).

Which brothers hold the distinction for highest drafted brother combo in NHL history?

W/ Reinhart's selection at #2 overall, he and his dad are the highest drafted father/son combo in NHL history (supplanting his father & brother for that distinction).

Which brothers hold the distinction for highest drafted brother combo in NHL history?

That's a whale of a question.

Is the answer also the Reinharts? 2 & 4 overall would seem tough to beat. Then again, I'm no league historian.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.