1st Round pick #2 Sam Reinhart

spndnchz

That's a whale of a question.

Sly and the Tin Man

Yep. That's an easy one. #1 and #2 overall in their draft years.

Yep.

Sylvain Turgeon #2 overall to Hartford in '83.

Pierre Turgeon #1 overall to Buffalo in'87.

Sedin's were #2 & 3 in '99. So they hold the record for a single draft year but Turgeon's have them beat by 2 slots overall.

Lets not get carried away with expectations here. If Reinhart even makes the team this year, I expect him to be truly 'protected'. What that means is he will average 10-12 minutes of ice time per game, probably be on a 3rd line at best with veteran wingers who think defense first, and may get scratched from the lineup on the road quite a few times where Nolan can't as easily control matchups.

His ice time will be limited so his 'rookie' mistakes will be limited and they can better be focused on between games in film study to correct. A few games in the press box every now and then (on the road) might be a good way for him to watch from a different persepctive also.

Also, expectations for stats should be kept in check because a player, even one who is 'mature' coming out of Juniors, can be a decent player without putting up big time stats for a few years, or it may take even highly rated players 3-5 years to become truly valuable.

Patrick Kane: In 7 seasons in the NHL, the MOST goals he has scored in a season is 30, and that happened 1 time. As great as he is, he IS a 20-something regular season goal scorer.

John Tavares: Same as above for Kane. His max goals in one year are 31, and he as done that once. A couple times (due to injury or lockout) he PROJECTED for more, but he is also so far is his career a typical 20-something goal scorer.

Taylor Hall is now going into his 5th season, he has not yet hit the 30 goal/season mark.

Ryan Nugent Hopkins is going into his 4th season, he hasn't hit 20 goals in a season yet.

Matt Duchene, a 2nd overall pick, hasn't hit 30 yet either.

Tylers Seguin, as a 2nd overall pick, took 4 years to cross 30 goals (not to mention a lot of apparent attitude and defensive end issues in his first few years)

Gabriel Landeskog hasn't hit 30 goals yet.

If Reinhart takes another year in Junior and then another 2 years AFTER that to be a 20 goal scorer in the NHL, that is about what we should expect.

If he does make the team but only gets 10-12 minutes of ice time per game on the 3rd line, and ends up with 10 goals and 20 assists for the year, that also isn't a bad thing...I think that is what can be expected.

Edited by mjd1001

Moulson and Gionta are the perfect wingmen for him, pros who are skilled enough and good guys to show him the way.

Not sure if that is our first line - the Sabres look to be more a team with three second lines this year.

My expectation for Sam is to make the team and score 30 to 40 points.

If he's not able to play 14 minutes a game with some PP time, he should be sent down.

But I think there is room for him on this roster and he think he shows enough to make it happen.

Guest Sloth

Moulson and Gionta are the perfect wingmen for him, pros who are skilled enough and good guys to show him the way.

Not sure if that is our first line - the Sabres look to be more a team with three second lines this year.

My expectation for Sam is to make the team and score 30 to 40 points.

If he's not able to play 14 minutes a game with some PP time, he should be sent down.

But I think there is room for him on this roster and he think he shows enough to make it happen.

Reinhart definitely needs 14+ minutes of play. Toews was given 18 minutes of ice time his rookie year. Had 54 points in 64 games. I can't recall who he played most of his time w/. Sharp had a breakout season. Of course there was Kane. I don't expect Reinhart, if given the opportunity, to match those numbers. Sabres aren't at the level Chicago was at. Not saying the Blackhawks were an incredible team back then. Finished 10th in the conference. Buffalo is at the bottom of the league. It'd be impressive if Reinhart managed to put up 40 + points.. Stamkos only had 15 minutes of ice time his rookie year, and he registered 46 points in 79 games. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Edited by thanes16

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.