1st Round pick #2 Sam Reinhart

spndnchz

Murray says he believes that Samson is NHL ready.

I like to think that's true, but in the highlight reel upthread, my thought was that, as good as he looked, it looked like he had a lot of room and time. I suspect the speed of the professional game will be a rude shock to young Samson. We'll see, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Am I reading cap geek wrong? I'm using Nathan MacKinnon as a reference here. It says his cap hit is only 925k. I see the bonus icon paying him 2.85 mil, but I can't see where that counts towards the cap. What's up?

Bonuses don't count toward the cap until after the season is over. A team's spending is reassessed at the end of the season with the new bonus information included and penalties are assessed for being over the cap (e.g. Boston this past season). But, prior to the end of the season the cap his is only $925k.

I like to think that's true, but in the highlight reel upthread, my thought was that, as good as he looked, it looked like he had a lot of room and time. I suspect the speed of the professional game will be a rude shock to young Samson. We'll see, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

That's what every highlight reel will look like for elite players at the lower levels...

Reinahrt was coached hardcore on how to answer a question. His typical vanilla answer's worry me a bit but I will wait til he hits the ice.

This anguish because Samson isn't giving us fire and brimstone quotes we can put in our signatures is a pretty silly.

Every scouting report lauds him for his leadership and anything he says that isn't humble is going to sound ridiculous considering he hasn't even been to a training camp yet. What are people looking for?

39 points in 25 games. Haven't seen any highlight packages for him from last year in Quebec, but I'd assume it went well.

I was referring to his stint with the Sabres. The reigning minds deemed him NHL ready and he wasn't. Granted, I trust GMTM & TN more than DR & LR at this point in time, but I'm just saying the jump to the NHL is a pretty big one. Someone who looks fantastic at Juniors may or may not be ready for it.

This anguish because Samson isn't giving us fire and brimstone quotes we can put in our signatures is a pretty silly.

Every scouting report lauds him for his leadership and anything he says that isn't humble is going to sound ridiculous considering he hasn't even been to a training camp yet. What are people looking for?

C'mon now, giving garden variety quotes every other athlete on the planet gives is the worst thing ever. Don't you remember the leadership of Chris Drury?!?! He was pure fire and brimstone in the press! We need that!

This is the June test of everybody's sarcasm detectors.

I was referring to his stint with the Sabres. The reigning minds deemed him NHL ready and he wasn't. Granted, I trust GMTM & TN more than DR & LR at this point in time, but I'm just saying the jump to the NHL is a pretty big one. Someone who looks fantastic at Juniors may or may not be ready for it.

I never said that looking good in juniors meant you are NHL-ready. I was just pointing out that using it against them as they try to get into the NHL isn't valid.

I am looking for him to vary his answers instead of saying the same thing the same way to different questions.

When he is asked "How do you feel Buffalo drafted you?" and he answers "I am excited and thrilled to be here"

Then he gets asked "Which forward on the roster are most excited to play with?" and he answers "Umm idk, any of them, I am just excited and thrilled to be here"

Kinda makes me wish he would actually answer the ###### question and stop acting like he only has a limited number of responses.

I am looking for him to vary his answers instead of saying the same thing the same way to different questions.

When he is asked "How do you feel Buffalo drafted you?" and he answers "I am excited and thrilled to be here"

Then he gets asked "Which forward on the roster are most excited to play with?" and he answers "Umm idk, any of them, I am just excited and thrilled to be here"

Kinda makes me wish he would actually answer the ###### question and stop acting like he only has a limited number of responses.

95% of athletes answer questions with the same bland stuff.

The other 5% get criticized. Cf. Richard Sherman. He could have just said that he went out to that NFC Championship game and "gave 110%."

The other 5% get criticized. Cf. Richard Sherman. He could have just said that he went out to that NFC Championship game and "gave 110%."

My opinion has always been fans henpeck the words of athletes way too much. Because of that, they get homogenized into robo-athlete. Meh. Who cares what any of them say anyway?

C'mon now, giving garden variety quotes every other athlete on the planet gives is the worst thing ever. Don't you remember the leadership of Chris Drury?!?! He was pure fire and brimstone in the press! We need that!

This is the June test of everybody's sarcasm detectors.

Nice.

I give exactly zero sh!ts about how any of these guys speak, talk, etc. I am far more interested to see whether and how they evolve into top-level NHL talents.

And the correlation between what they say and how they say it, and that evolution is, IMO, basically non-existent.

Truth.

There are the rarest of exceptions, aren't there? I'm trying to think of one.

I never said that looking good in juniors meant you are NHL-ready. I was just pointing out that using it against them as they try to get into the NHL isn't valid.

That was the point I was trying to make. The highlight reel for Reinhart looks fabulous, hardly working with awesome results, but I questioned whether that meant NHL ready.

That was the point I was trying to make. The highlight reel for Reinhart looks fabulous, hardly working with awesome results, but I questioned whether that meant NHL ready.

It doesn't necessarily mean that, but it was kind of being used to discredit him. Its a highlight reel, of course he'll look really good and like it's easy for him. That's what you want to see from the guy you just picked second overall.

If it looked harder than that would mean what? That he's playing competition that's as fast as him? That would be worse because the NHL game is even faster so he'd be a few strides slow.

First of all, he's probably being honest about not having any special preference for playing with one guy or another on the team. Which is good, because he has bigger things to think about right now.

Second, even if he did, what's the upside to giving really specific answers? Nothing. He doesn't know anyone on the team, he has no NHL experience, and today is his first day in Buffalo. He'll sound like an idiot if he starts running his mouth and saying anything beyond being excited to be here so that he can work hard and learn. Just keep it vague and move on. This is basic risk/reward.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.