Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Rules that open up play, fine (or just call the game like it is supposed to be called). Rules barring a traditional defense function? I don't see a need for it.

But it's painfully obvious the game isn't going to be called like it should as long as refs have discretion. It's just the reality of it. But even refs who let everything go still call the puck over the glass. In totally on board with creating more penalties refs have to call.

I don't see the point in making the full body shot-blocking a penalty.  Yes guys have a tendency to get hurt doing that (see: Patrick Kaleta), but it's a sign of desperation and committment to defense on the player's part and there's no reason that should be illegal.  We criticize players who duck or lift a leg to avoid taking a slapper on the shin; why should we make it illegal for them to do everything they can to stop it?

I'm against shot blocking limitations and I want to see goals more than most. I hate defensive hockey. But it seems wrong to me, to tell a player that they can't lay it on the line to stop a shot.

I don't see the point in making the full body shot-blocking a penalty. Yes guys have a tendency to get hurt doing that (see: Patrick Kaleta), but it's a sign of desperation and committment to defense on the player's part and there's no reason that should be illegal. We criticize players who duck or lift a leg to avoid taking a slapper on the shin; why should we make it illegal for them to do everything they can to stop it?

I just want to see more goals and I have zero faith in the officials (and league more broadly) to consistently enforce rules that encourage scoring. It's that simple for me.

I'm against shot blocking limitations and I want to see goals more than most. I hate defensive hockey. But it seems wrong to me, to tell a player that they can't lay it on the line to stop a shot.

Well, they have rules preventing players from going all out to score goals, so I really don't see an issue with rules preventing players from going all out to prevent goals.

But it's painfully obvious the game isn't going to be called like it should as long as refs have discretion. It's just the reality of it. But even refs who let everything go still call the puck over the glass. In totally on board with creating more penalties refs have to call.

More discretion for them?  Was he sliding or did he lose an edge?  Did he go down or was he pushed down?  Did be block it with his shin?  His ankle?  His thigh?  His knee?

No thank you. No sir.

the only thing that needs to change is the enforcing of the rules that are in place. it was said coming out of the previous lockout and it is true. If you call the penalties every time they occur the players will stop committing them. however we all know the NHL won't do this.

the only thing that needs to change is the enforcing of the rules that are in place. it was said coming out of the previous lockout and it is true. If you call the penalties every time they occur the players will stop committing them. however we all know the NHL won't do this.

Agreed. Why put new rules in place that they won't call anyways ? Make the calls for the rules that exist.

More discretion for them? Was he sliding or did he lose an edge? Did he go down or was he pushed down? Did be block it with his shin? His ankle? His thigh? His knee?

No thank you. No sir.

I guess I just don't see it as a very discretionary call. How often has a defensive player lost an edge when a shot is fired?

Problem: Referees do not call penalties that impede the progress of the game.

Any solution that does not address that issue is not going to help.  Not at all.

Fix the problem, don't create new problems on top of the old ones.

Simple solution eliminate the ability to ice the puck without a whistle on the power play.  Every power play would be like the last two minutes where the team is down.  Those instances produce more scoring chances because even if you relieve the pressure, you can't change lines and the fo comes back to your zone.  It would increase the impact of taking penalties and force a more wide open game IMHO.

One more thing about this shot blocking restrictions in terms of creating more offense.  I would guess that 90-95% of all shots blocked are NOT by guys laying on the ice.  The majority are just getting blocked by sticks, and then a smaller percentage rest blocked by guys getting in shooting lanes.

What's next...you can't block a shot with your stick?

If they want to decrease shot blocking, how about minimizing padding below the junk level.

That would pose a serious injury risk to all players.  The technology in sticks now enables even beer leaguers to bring it.  The pros even more so.  

More goals would be scored if they prevented goalies that are 5'10" 170 lbs from wearing equipment that makes them look bigger than NFL linemen. Rico would score from the blue line with a slap shot. Doesn't happen today. Goalies cover whole net just standing.

Simple solution eliminate the ability to ice the puck without a whistle on the power play.  Every power play would be like the last two minutes where the team is down.  Those instances produce more scoring chances because even if you relieve the pressure, you can't change lines and the fo comes back to your zone.  It would increase the impact of taking penalties and force a more wide open game IMHO.

I love this idea. It has always annoyed me that a team can be leading by a goal late in the game and take a penalty, and in a way get "rewarded" with the freedom of full-ice shots on an empty net if the trailing team has pulled their goalie.

More goals would be scored if they prevented goalies that are 5'10" 170 lbs from wearing equipment that makes them look bigger than NFL linemen. Rico would score from the blue line with a slap shot. Doesn't happen today. Goalies cover whole net just standing.

In the first period last night, goals were scored on slapshots from the top of the circle and from the blueline.

In the first period last night, goals were scored on slapshots from the top of the circle and from the blueline.

I didn't say it never happens just not as often. The ones from the blue line are usually with bodies in front of the net....I went to a sabres-hawks game in the 70s.....sitting behind the net...Dennis Hull stepped over the blue line and drilled one by Crozier....who almost ducked to get out of the way....just don't see those much anymore...that's all I'm saying

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.