Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

I don't think relocation and realignment is much of an issue IF the league is willing to move a team from the East into the West (probably one of Detroit or Columbus despite the league saying they don't want that).

They could just as easily move Carolina and/or the Florida teams around in the East, but I think they want to keep the two Florida teams playing against the ratings-boosting teams like Toronto, Montreal and Buffalo. Either way, I don't think this will be an issue once they figure out where everything goes.

If the three (two expansion and Florida) ends up being Las Vegas, Seattle and KC then they can keep both Detroit and Columbus in the East. At one point Bob McKenzie predicted that the NHL would end up with 33 teams and didn't believe that they cared about even numbers as much as everybody thinks... If that happens then Portland, KC and QC all have better shots at landing a team.

The question however isn't what things end up looking like.  It's what has to happen to get there.  Any move by the Coyotes for the 2015-16 season has to be in the Pacific Division or they need to bounce someone who would ultimately be in the Pacific division.  However, assuming they want Las Vegas and Seattle, if you temporarily move one team (Colorado) then they have to bounce them back.  No way the Avs go for that.  So, IF the Coyotes move this upcoming season they move to Seattle or Las Vegas.  Then the NHL can progress on its expansion plans.

I can't even imagine what they try to do if there is only 1 team in Florida (the Panthers seem ripe to move too).

Who drinks the weirdest liquor?

I don't pay attention too much. Lucic had 4 dozen beers when he left. I should have asked him if he needed help carrying out to the car cuz it looked heavy. LOL.

Tyler Myers bought a $500 bottle of Grey Goose once. The Schenn brothers were in last year and Braeden was drinking California Cabs, nice ones. 

Edited by rickshaw

The question however isn't what things end up looking like.  It's what has to happen to get there.  Any move by the Coyotes for the 2015-16 season has to be in the Pacific Division or they need to bounce someone who would ultimately be in the Pacific division.  However, assuming they want Las Vegas and Seattle, if you temporarily move one team (Colorado) then they have to bounce them back.  No way the Avs go for that.  So, IF the Coyotes move this upcoming season they move to Seattle or Las Vegas.  Then the NHL can progress on its expansion plans.

I can't even imagine what they try to do if there is only 1 team in Florida (the Panthers seem ripe to move too).

If they move Zona for next year I would bet Seattle is the only real option which wouldn't cause problems. Remember that Winnipeg stayed in their division for a year before moving out West. It isn't an issue.

The Stanley Cup Fins were played in the shortest number of nights possible. There was either an NBA Finals game or a game in Tampa's arena every night they didn't play. Nothing to see here unless you just want to complain for nothing.

I thought they were skipping a day for marketing, because they wanted the finals to be on HNIC regular night, which is Saturday night.

I'm referring to the entire thing. NBC basically consigned the leagues premier product to a potential audience limited to 80 million homes on weekdays.  

It all seems shortsighted to me. 

The Stanley Cup Fins were played in the shortest number of nights possible. There was either an NBA Finals game or a game in Tampa's arena every night they didn't play. Nothing to see here unless you just want to complain for nothing.

There's really no reason why an NHL game should be taking a back seat to arena football.  Arena football can move its games to Saturday night.  That the Lightning don't have primary tenancy rights in an arena that does not have an NBA team speaks volumes about how the NHL is regarded there.

There's really no reason why an NHL game should be taking a back seat to arena football. Arena football can move its games to Saturday night. That the Lightning don't have primary tenancy rights in an arena that does not have an NBA team speaks volumes about how the NHL is regarded there.

No. Why move a game and incinvenience the thousands (TB has the highest average attendance at over 11,000) that bought tickets? There is zero reason to do that. It's not that hard to wait one extra day twice over the course of a series. Get over it.

(And the Lightning do have primary tenancy rights at the stadium)

Edited by Hoss

There's really no reason why an NHL game should be taking a back seat to arena football. Arena football can move its games to Saturday night. That the Lightning don't have primary tenancy rights in an arena that does not have an NBA team speaks volumes about how the NHL is regarded there.

Stop being a curmudgeon.

No. Why move a game and incinvenience the thousands (TB has the highest average attendance at over 11,000) that bought tickets? There is zero reason to do that. It's not that hard to wait one extra day twice over the course of a series. Get over it.

(And the Lightning do have primary tenancy rights at the stadium)

Then they should exercise those rights.  Moving an arena football game one day is like postponing a Bisons game because of rain.  It's not that hard.  This is the NHL, a major sports league, in the finals.  It shouldn't take a back seat to a bunch of guys who aren't good enough to play in the CFL.

Let me know when the Sabres postpone a Stanley Cup Finals game so the Bandits can use the field.  It won't happen, of course, but if it were to happen, it would be equally worthy of ridicule.

Then they should exercise those rights. Moving an arena football game one day is like postponing a Bisons game because of rain. It's not that hard. This is the NHL, a major sports league, in the finals. It shouldn't take a back seat to a bunch of guys who aren't good enough to play in the CFL.

Let me know when the Sabres postpone a Stanley Cup Finals game so the Bandits can use the field. It won't happen, of course, but if it were to happen, it would be equally worthy of ridicule.

It didn't take a backseat. You're just being whiny. I'm sure they made a conscious decision to not inconvenience people for legitimately NO REASON.

There was no "postponement." They scheduled the game for a Saturday instead of a Friday. That's not a postponement. They played the games on the days they were scheduled. There's no rule that says the games have to be every other day. Yeesh. You sound both 3 and 90 at the same time.

Edited by Hoss

It didn't take a backseat. You're just being whiny. I'm sure they made a conscious decision to not inconvenience people for legitimately NO REASON.

There was no "postponement." They scheduled the game for a Saturday instead of a Friday. That's not a postponement. They played the games on the days they were scheduled. There's no rule that says the games have to be every other day. Yeesh. You sound both 3 and 90 at the same time.

I'm 93.

They scheduled the games AROUND the AFL.  Let's not be obtuse.

Also its well known that the networks take hits in ratings putting stuff on Friday nights because most people are out that night of the week. Saturday night is a big hockey night for the entire season so it makes more sense to give the extra day off to skip Friday and play Saturday. Just because you don't want to wait an extra day to watch the game, doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. I'm sure there are Tampa and Chicago fans that wanted the Friday night to go out and would prefer the game on Saturday

I'm 93.

They scheduled the games AROUND the AFL.  Let's not be obtuse.

no, they scheduled the game around the open times in the arenas schedule. This happens all of the time during the season, the arena schedules events all year and probably weren't expecting the lighting to be this far so they didn't leave the cup finals time slots open and just book around what's available

2014 finals: two two-day breaks

2013 finals: two two-day breaks

2012 finals: two two-day breaks

2011 finals: two two-day breaks

2015 finals: two two-day breaks

Every single one of those finals started on a Wednesday and skipped the first Friday. All but two skipped both Fridays.

Will none of you rise and be my brothers and sisters in this struggle against two day breaks?

What's next, some crazy idea that they should play back-to-backs?! I mean, it's a slippery slope. How far do you want to take this madness?!?!

Will none of you rise and be my brothers and sisters in this struggle against two day breaks?

If that's what you were actually arguing then I would be on board 100%. But that's not what you're arguing. You're arguing against them moving other events and thousands of people around just for the sake of one less day.

If they were taking random two-day breaks for purely no reason I would find it kind of annoying too.

I'm less annoyed by the extra day off than I am by the fact that far too many of the games are on cable.

this bothers me. especially if I'm on the road. 

I guess we've all forgotten when the NHL playoffs used to be on ESPN and ESPN2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.