Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Yep. I'd rather see 32 & rules enforced reasonably than contraction.

The following have centered the 1st line of the Buffalo Sabres the past 5 years......

Luke Adam

Johan Larsson

Cody Hodgson

Jochen Hecht

Steve Ott

You probably could throw in Cory Conacher and Kevin Porter as well.....but that may be overkill......

Based on this, there should be 6 teams.

The following have centered the 1st line of the Buffalo Sabres the past 5 years......

Luke Adam

Johan Larsson

Cody Hodgson

Jochen Hecht

Steve Ott

You probably could throw in Cory Conacher and Kevin Porter as well.....but that may be overkill......

Based on this, there should be 6 teams.

You forgot Leino.

And Gerbe. :w00t:

The NHL Channel aired the semi final round of the Memorial Cup last night between Quebec and Rimouski. Finally got to see some of the potential draft prospects from the other Canadian Junior Leagues. Some young goalie named

FUCALE!

played very well and I am sure there is a SS member that is happy about this.

The NHL Channel aired the semi final round of the Memorial Cup last night between Quebec and Rimouski. Finally got to see some of the potential draft prospects from the other Canadian Junior Leagues. Some young goalie named

FUCALE!

played very well and I am sure there is a SS member that is happy about this.

That was a great game.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-no-last-stand-for-blackhawks/

Tons of great details here:

- Red Wings seem to have started searching for a new AHL coach which means Blashill is getting the NHL job.

- Players may ask for exhibition tryout for OT 3-on-3 which would mean another year of regular OT before implementation.

- Martin St. Louis may not be back in NY. New Jersey might be interested.

- The fired coaches clarification could come and there's a chance Buffalo and Edmonton get their picks back.

- Colorado, Columbus and San Jose want defensemen.

- Washington wants another top-six winger. Won't trade Burakovsky or Kuznetzov to do it.

Dan Bylsma said he watched Buffalo “quite a bit” last season and talked to GM Tim Murray before the World Championships, then during the event. He said both agreed there is no use signing anyone “just to win one more hockey game next year. Let’s develop and get younger players on the roster.”

That surely sounds like another year of bad hockey. More entertaining, but I don't see much heavy action coming for us after that.

- Bylsma not sure if Kane and Eichel are a fit together since Kane carries the puck.

What did he learn? That carrying the puck in increased your percentages of getting a shot, but “what that means offensively, I’m still coming to grips with,” he said.

That's from Bylsma on carrying the puck in versus chipping it in like he's used to.

Got to agree with Bylsma on the chipping in vs. carrying in.  As a former defenceman, turning and chasing, and then getting creamed into the boards, is a lot more draining than staring a player in the chest and taking him out of the play. 

Edited by Tondas

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-no-last-stand-for-blackhawks/

Tons of great details here:

- Red Wings seem to have started searching for a new AHL coach which means Blashill is getting the NHL job.

- Players may ask for exhibition tryout for OT 3-on-3 which would mean another year of regular OT before implementation.

- Martin St. Louis may not be back in NY. New Jersey might be interested.

- The fired coaches clarification could come and there's a chance Buffalo and Edmonton get their picks back.

- Colorado, Columbus and San Jose want defensemen.

- Washington wants another top-six winger. Won't trade Burakovsky or Kuznetzov to do it.

That surely sounds like another year of bad hockey. More entertaining, but I don't see much heavy action coming for us after that.

- Bylsma not sure if Kane and Eichel are a fit together since Kane carries the puck.

That's from Bylsma on carrying the puck in versus chipping it in like he's used to.

Got to agree with Bylsma on the chipping in vs. carrying in.  As a former defenceman, turning and chasing, and then getting creamed into the boards, is a lot more draining than staring a player in the chest and taking him out of the play. 

From what Bylsma said, I think he's mentally wrestling with the idea that what is harder for opposing defensemen isn't necessarily better for your team--there's a tradeoff there. How much do you lose versus the other team gaining. The numbers, at least, say that at the team-level there is more of a net benefit to carrying in and maintaining possession than to dumping it in to make the opposition D's life harder. I think it may be a case where you simply don't play one set of defensemen enough (even in the playoffs) for the additional wear and tear of a dump in to be of much benefit. At the very least, the two teams playing for the Cup this year believe in the virtue of carrying the puck in.

From what Bylsma said, I think he's mentally wrestling with the idea that what is harder for opposing defensemen isn't necessarily better for your team--there's a tradeoff there. How much do you lose versus the other team gaining. The numbers, at least, say that at the team-level there is more of a net benefit to carrying in and maintaining possession than to dumping it in to make the opposition D's life harder. I think it may be a case where you simply don't play one set of defensemen enough (even in the playoffs) for the additional wear and tear of a dump in to be of much benefit. At the very least, the two teams playing for the Cup this year believe in the virtue of carrying the puck in.

The Blues and the Ducks have both tried pounding the D into submission against the Hawks and failed. And that with the Hawks third pair rarely seeing the ice. Now is that something unique to Duncan Keith, or is it a rule of thumb that applies to most teams?

Well stated.  Remember the Soviet Red Army team that played the Sabres in 76.  Now that was puck possession.  However, we creamed them 12-6. I guess the "dump and chase vs. keeping control" debate will continue on for years.  Bottom line, a good coach will fit his system to his players, not vice versa. 

Well stated.  Remember the Soviet Red Army team that played the Sabres in 76.  Now that was puck possession.  However, we creamed them 12-6. I guess the "dump and chase vs. keeping control" debate will continue on for years.  Bottom line, a good coach will fit his system to his players, not vice versa.

Twern't Red Army. Was the Soviet Wings. Still, an extremely impressive thrashing which put the Sabres on the radar map of many outside of N. America.

Twern't Red Army. Was the Soviet Wings. Still, an extremely impressive thrashing which put the Sabres on the radar map of many outside of N. America.

Great catch, Taro.  And I consider myself a Sabres fan.  Can't believe I messed up on Buffalo beating the Wings :doh: .

OTOH, carrying it in creates more shots and better opportunities.  Look at what Ruff did when he had teams that were able to carry, as opposed to when he had teams that were resigned to dump-and-chase.

OTOH, carrying it in creates more shots and better opportunities.  Look at what Ruff did when he had teams that were able to carry, as opposed to when he had teams that were resigned to dump-and-chase.

But, I do seem to remember the Ottawa series in 2006 when Lindy went off script, they carried the puck in, and then chipped it behind Chara and Redden and pounded those guys whenever they were on the ice. Redden got so frustrated that he started going behind the net with his elbows up near his ears, and by the time Chara adjusted, the series was over.  

But, I do seem to remember the Ottawa series in 2006 when Lindy went off script, they carried the puck in, and then chipped it behind Chara and Redden and pounded those guys whenever they were on the ice. Redden got so frustrated that he started going behind the net with his elbows up near his ears, and by the time Chara adjusted, the series was over.  

He knew what he was doing and how to adjust.   If you watch the Hawks, they do both, depending on who is on ice.  Ruff did too--WHEN he had the personnel to carry.

Also--to whomever upthread recommended tonight's CHL Memorial Cup champ game, this is a freaking awesome game.

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.