Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Most people here don't even know the Yotes exist and frankly I haven't been to a game in two years and wanted to get to the west valley to see the Sabres or Leafs this year but never did.

Why?  I live in the east valley, work downtown Phoenix and by the time I get home with nightmare traffic, to feed the dogs and hit the road to head to the other side of the valley with heavy traffic heading that way is just not worth the frustration.  The arena is in a horrible location for most out here. 

Glendale doesn't deserve a hockey team.  The whole Westgate (where the arena is) development went bankrupt, which was developed by Steve Ellman the former Coyotes owner.  Westgate has nothing to offer that I can't get in Scottsdale or in the area I live just south of PHX.   This putting a team in PHX was a clusterf### from the beginning.

BREAKING - Glendale City Council approves measure to TERMINATE Arizona Coyotes Arena deal. #NHL

attachicon.gifyotes.PNG

For the love of god and all things holy move the freaking coyotes elsewhere. 

I agree.  AZ doesn't deserve or respect hockey and they should go to a city that actually wants a team.  I emailed a local PHX reporter to ask if he could find out how many days the Gila River Arena was used outside of the 42 days the Coyotes used it.  

Here is a link for how many people the arena takes in without Coyotes games.  90,000 vs. 500,000 for the yotes games.  Lots of good op ed links from local journalists on this.  http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/glendale/2015/06/09/glendale-vote-coyotes-deal/28777933/

Quebec should be dancing in the street on this. 

I've hoped for a while that they could make it work down there.  The Phoenix market (you know, the place where they don't actually play) is massive and it's one that the league could absolutely use.  Their time is up though.  This thing has fallen apart too many times now.  It's time to ship them somewhere else.  I'd imagine they aim for one of the western markets though because the eastern conference already has two extra teams and they won't want a repeat of Winnipeg in the Southeast.  How far along are things in Seattle and Vegas?  I haven't seen the expansion thread in a while.

edit:  Oh, there it is.  That's what I get for starting with the thread at the top of the board.

Edited by shrader

This would be a dream come true for me. Hockey belongs in Quebec City. Les Nordiques augmentera a nouvea!

I don't think Bettman will allow the Yotes to move to Quebec City. That team needs to stay west of/dang near the Mississippi River.

IMHO, there's almost no chance Bettman moves another team into the east. Vegas, KC (Sunshines?), Seattle, Portland, or Salt Lake (Slugs?) are more likely. (I threw SLC in there for Chris in UT).

Most people here don't even know the Yotes exist and frankly I haven't been to a game in two years and wanted to get to the west valley to see the Sabres or Leafs this year but never did.

Why?  I live in the east valley, work downtown Phoenix and by the time I get home with nightmare traffic, to feed the dogs and hit the road to head to the other side of the valley with heavy traffic heading that way is just not worth the frustration.  The arena is in a horrible location for most out here. 

Glendale doesn't deserve a hockey team.  The whole Westgate (where the arena is) development went bankrupt, which was developed by Steve Ellman the former Coyotes owner.  Westgate has nothing to offer that I can't get in Scottsdale or in the area I live just south of PHX.   This putting a team in PHX was a clusterf### from the beginning.

That's too bad.

REEEEEAAAAALLY wish that when pinheads look for real estate to build rinks in emerging markets that they'd stop and ask themselves WHY are they getting such a great deal on land / lease off in the proverbial "middle of nowhere." One could put a new MLG on the outskirts of Mississauga or another suburb and never miss a beat, but putting one on the wrong side of Miami, Phoenix, or (insert emerging hockey market here) and you'll only get the hardcore fans showing which is extremely difficult to overcome.

My guess is that team ends up in Vegas long before they even give QC a chance to put in a bid. KC is the absolute farthest east I'd expect them to move. Very difficult for me to see a scenario where a team ends up in QC. The lack of English is the final nail in QC's chances, IMHO.

Well at least one Coyote fan is pissed off (no one I know):

She was great.   Well said and speaks for many of the passionate fans of hockey in PHX.

Good op-ed in the AZ Republic here  http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nhl/coyotes/2015/06/11/dan-bickley-latest-glendale-skirmish-best-thing-for-arizona-coyotes/71097156/

She was great.   Well said and speaks for many of the passionate fans of hockey in PHX.

Good op-ed in the AZ Republic here  http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nhl/coyotes/2015/06/11/dan-bickley-latest-glendale-skirmish-best-thing-for-arizona-coyotes/71097156/

Interesting. I love the idea that ownership could use the out clause to "relocate" to Phoenix proper. Better chance at survival and a poke in the eye to the Glendale council.

Get the Yotes in Phoenix and the Cats in Miami proper. Let's see just how bad the south is in terms of interest. My gut feel is it's better than the detractors claim.

She's talking about things that don't matter. The city is losing millions and are supposed to continue to do so because a group of people are passionate in supporting the team and have made the personal decision to spend money on it?

A good response to what she had to say: http://deadsp.in/Ll5Ead8

Sometimes it seems like saying something passionate into a microphone is all you need to do to become a hero.

Edited by Hoss

Gotta love the "drop the mic" move she does at the end as she's walking out.

:lol: I saw that, too.

She's talking about things that don't matter. The city is losing millions and are supposed to continue to do so because a group of people are passionate in supporting the team and have made the personal decision to spend money on it?

A good response to what she had to say: http://deadsp.in/Ll5Ead8

Sometimes it seems like saying something passionate into a microphone is all you need to do to become a hero.

Whoa, buddy; as far as I know, you're the only one calling her a hero. The point is that there are passionate and avid hockey fans in Arizona, since so many here like to ridicule and sh!t on the Coyotes. If the arena and ownership issues could ever be resolved there are already people there who would support the team and they might have a shot at expanding that fan base.

:lol: I saw that, too.

Whoa, buddy; as far as I know, you're the only one calling her a hero. The point is that there are passionate and avid hockey fans in Arizona, since so many here like to ridicule and sh!t on the Coyotes. If the arena and ownership issues could ever be resolved there are already people there who would support the team and they might have a shot at expanding that fan base.

I feel for any fan that loses their team. Even in Buffalo - a good hockey market - the future of the Sabres was not always a given. 

I've met very passionate and knowledgeable fans from non-traditional markets:  Florida, Tampa, San Jose, Raleigh, Dallas. 

I think it would just suck if they lost their connection to the NHL, like Minnesota, Winnipeg, Quebec,  Hartford, once did. 

(I've never really forgiven the NBA for the Braves, BTW). 

Edited by X. Benedict

What a great line:

"Meanwhile, the commissioner is a bulldog, a smack-talker, a scar-hardened executive with alligator skin."

Bettman is a real Dale Hunter. I've never been surprised that the owners love him.

I haven't been to a game in two years and wanted to get to the west valley to see the Sabres or Leafs this year but never did.

I've heard this is a big issue with the Coyotes.  The stadium is in an area that most fans can't get to on weeknights.  Same with the Florida Panthers.  The stadium is nowhere near downtown in a city where gridlock is the norm.

It was like that in DC back in the day when the Caps and Bullets played in Landover on the far side of the beltway from those of us living in Northern Virginia.  I'd have to leave work an hour early and sit through an hour and a half of bumper-to-bumper traffic just to go to a weeknight game.  Fortunately, they put the new arena downtown and people could get there on the Metro.  Problem solved.

Why would two need to move?  They're going to keep that 16/14 imbalance until they expand.

The most likely would be Detroit or Columbus getting bounced back West.  If they move 1 team back they would create an 8 team central and a 6 team pacific division.  If they moved Columbus AND Detroit they could shift Colorado to the West.  That hinders plans to expand into Las Vegas AND Seattle however.

It's actually the most likely scenario that the Coyotes can't be considered to move East.  They would move to a new market that would retain a 7 team Pacific Division.. so, Las Vegas or Seattle would be the likely choices.  This leaves an opportunity for Kansas City at some other point to fill in the Central and the loser of the Coyotes franchise (LV or Seattle) to get the other expansion team.

The most likely would be Detroit or Columbus getting bounced back West.  If they move 1 team back they would create an 8 team central and a 6 team pacific division.  If they moved Columbus AND Detroit they could shift Colorado to the West.  That hinders plans to expand into Las Vegas AND Seattle however.

It's actually the most likely scenario that the Coyotes can't be considered to move East.  They would move to a new market that would retain a 7 team Pacific Division.. so, Las Vegas or Seattle would be the likely choices.  This leaves an opportunity for Kansas City at some other point to fill in the Central and the loser of the Coyotes franchise (LV or Seattle) to get the other expansion team.

I'm still not following on the logic of multiple teams moving.  Right now we have 14 in the west and 16 in the east.  That's what they're going to stick with.  So Phoenix leaves the west, one team from the east gets bumped out west.  They may shuffle the divisions within each conference to account for this, but at the end it will still be 16 east, 14 west.  I don't think they want a scenario where within a conference, the divisions have an unequal amount of teams.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.