Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

NHL Game Center Live Lawsuit settlement reached:

https://fortune.com/2015/06/12/nhl-blackouts-settlement/

Poo -- still doesn't help local folks without cable.  At least there will be a cheaper option:

Under a proposed settlement, the league will begin selling single-team packages for $105 a season rather than forcing fans to buy a $159 bundle that includes teams they don’t care about.

The upshot is that fans who root for an out-of-town team (like a Bruins fan who lives in New York) will get an option to save money – but the settlement, despite a judge’s ruling that blackouts are likely illegal, will not help fans (like a Rangers fan in New York) who want to watch the local team online.

They did it again.  Again, no game on a Friday night.  My fault for not checking the schedule, but for 's sake, this league.  I should be watching hockey right now.   these people and their families and everyone who thinks this is a good idea.  Last week sucked and now this week sucks. 

They did it again.  Again, no game on a Friday night.  My fault for not checking the schedule, but for ######'s sake, ###### this league.  I should be watching hockey right now.  ###### these people and their families and ###### everyone who thinks this is a good idea.  Last week sucked and now this week sucks.

It's a killer. Dumb short sighted marketing.

Yea, they should just play around the Arena Football game that's happening at the arena. Same for last Friday.

That's still a thing?!  Now I'm murderful.  Which is as much a made up word as arena football is a made up sport.

You people wanted Angry Eleven?  You have him now.  This is a garage league if it's taking a back seat to arena football, Katy Perry on ice, or whatever other .

Edited by Eleven

Poo -- still doesn't help local folks without cable.  At least there will be a cheaper option:

NHL Game Center Live Lawsuit settlement reached:

https://fortune.com/2015/06/12/nhl-blackouts-settlement/

There are LEGAL ways around locals getting to see their teams online.

Biodork, I thought you watch games on NHLGC.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

They did it again.  Again, no game on a Friday night.  My fault for not checking the schedule, but for ######'s sake, ###### this league.  I should be watching hockey right now.  ###### these people and their families and ###### everyone who thinks this is a good idea.  Last week sucked and now this week sucks. 

Right there with you. I'm busy all night tomorrow but tonight I'm all free and wouldn't you know it, no hockey. 

There are LEGAL ways around locals getting to see their teams online.

Biodork, I thought you watch games on NHLGC.

I do, so luckily for me the ruling adds an extra option I might consider. It sucks for people like Eleven and my mom who live in their team's market but don't want to be forced to pay for cable to avoid blackouts.

Right there with you. I'm busy all night tomorrow but tonight I'm all free and wouldn't you know it, no hockey.

Ditto; would've totally watched tonight (especially since it'd be on the "real" NBC), but tomorrow I'll be at my dad's and he and my stepmom aren't into hockey.

I want to hit people.

I do, so luckily for me the ruling adds an extra option I might consider. It sucks for people like Eleven and my mom who live in their team's market but don't want to be forced to pay for cable to avoid blackouts.

Ditto; would've totally watched tonight (especially since it'd be on the "real" NBC), but tomorrow I'll be at my dad's and he and my stepmom aren't into hockey.

Maybe these people, if biodork doesn't smarten up and hit them first.

Gain control of the TV.  Of course, the game probably starts at 10pm ET to accommodate our Inuit friends, but whatever.

I want to hit people.

Maybe these people, if biodork doesn't smarten up and hit them first.

Gain control of the TV.  Of course, the game probably starts at 10pm ET to accommodate our Inuit friends, but whatever.

:p Angry Eleven, indeed! Hockey is not worth assault and battery charges. (Dents in walls and broken remotes, sure.) NBC has done an awesome job of making me care less about the finals since I had no way to watch games 3 and 4. F 'em.

Of course we will.

Is it bad that I don't remember writing that? We had people over last night and would not have been able to really watch it, so I'm actually glad the game is on tonight. I still think hockey in June is somewhat silly, though.

... and "murderful" is my new favorite word.

Met the hated Milan Lucic today at my work. He, like many hockey players, live in Kelowna. I spoke with him briefly and even shook his hand. I know, right.

Anyway, we chatted for a bit and he says he is just hanging at his house and working out here, not heading downtown where the testosterone is prevalent at night. He was a nice guy.

I told him to watch out for my Sabres, told him I've been a fan for over 30 years. We spoke about losing the lottery. He thinks Eichel will be better than McDavid in the first 5 years, and then Connor will surpass him. 

Said Eichel is the real deal.

Met the hated Milan Lucic today at my work. He, like many hockey players, live in Kelowna. I spoke with him briefly and even shook his hand. I know, right.

Anyway, we chatted for a bit and he says he is just hanging at his house and working out here, not heading downtown where the testosterone is prevalent at night. He was a nice guy.

I told him to watch out for my Sabres, told him I've been a fan for over 30 years. We spoke about losing the lottery. He thinks Eichel will be better than McDavid in the first 5 years, and then Connor will surpass him.

As he was walking away you should have run him from behind, and then said, that's for Miller!!!

That's pretty neat, would make my day if it happened to me.

That is pretty sweet. Surprising what he said about Eichel. I've posted a few times that I think Eichel will be better in his rookie year, but I'm not sure it will extend to 5 years. It could, because I believe we'll have the better team, but it's shocking to hear Lucic say that. 

I meet lots of players at my job (Government Liquor Store)

Met MR Smiley from the Sens a few weeks back, Curtis Lazar. It's amazing how many of the players come back to Kelowna. It is a beautiful city, that's part of it, but it's a lot of players.

Shea Weber

Tyler Myers

Josh Gorges

Jerome Iginla

Milan Lucic

Curtis Lazar

Scott Hartnell

to name a few. 

with the Okanagan Lake right here, tonnes of wineries, plus top notch training facilities, and warm Sunny summers, it's the place to be. 

I'm still not following on the logic of multiple teams moving.  Right now we have 14 in the west and 16 in the east.  That's what they're going to stick with.  So Phoenix leaves the west, one team from the east gets bumped out west.  They may shuffle the divisions within each conference to account for this, but at the end it will still be 16 east, 14 west.  I don't think they want a scenario where within a conference, the divisions have an unequal amount of teams.

The logic is simple.  If you move 1 team out of the Western Conference you need to put 1 back to at least have 14.  BUT, the team that is moving out is in the Pacific Division and the team you'd move would have to go into the Central.  You can't move forward with 8 teams in the Central and 6 teams in the Pacific.  

You could move 1 team into the Central and bounce Winnipeg or Colorado to the Pacific.  However, if the NHL wanted to expand in Las Vegas and Seattle first then those two teams would need to be slated for the Pacific.  So, there's no way Winnipeg or Colorado are going to move to the Pacific for a few years and the move back to the Central.

The only way it would work is if either of those two teams moved and when the league expanded they were slotted into newly realigned divisions that kept many of the same opponents.

Basically, there's no way Phoenix leaves the Pacific Division, let alone the Western Conference.  They'd likely relocate to Seattle or Las Vegas.

As it stands it is hard to imagine any team being put into Quebec City without another major realignment of the divisions and conferences.

Met MR Smiley from the Sens a few weeks back, Curtis Lazar. It's amazing how many of the players come back to Kelowna. It is a beautiful city, that's part of it, but it's a lot of players.

Shea Weber

Tyler Myers

Josh Gorges

Jerome Iginla

Milan Lucic

Curtis Lazar

Scott Hartnell

to name a few. 

with the Okanagan Lake right here, tonnes of wineries, plus top notch training facilities, and warm Sunny summers, it's the place to be. 

Who drinks the weirdest liquor?

I don't think relocation and realignment is much of an issue IF the league is willing to move a team from the East into the West (probably one of Detroit or Columbus despite the league saying they don't want that).

Here's the current NHL alignment:

eUrpkos.jpg?1

Say that two expansion teams and an Arizona relocation results in, say, Vegas, Seattle and QC...

EASTERN CONFERENCE:

Northeast:

Quebec City

Montreal

Ottawa

Toronto

Buffalo

Boston

Tampa Bay

Florida

Metro:

New York Isles

New York Rangers

New Jersey

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Washington

Carolina

Detroit or Columbus

WESTERN CONFERENCE:

West coast:

Edmonton

Calgary

Vancouver

Seattle

San Jose

Los Angeles

Anaheim

Las Vegas

Midwest:

Winnipeg

Minnesota

Chicago

St. Louis

Nashville

Dallas

Colorado

Columbus or Detroit

They could just as easily move Carolina and/or the Florida teams around in the East, but I think they want to keep the two Florida teams playing against the ratings-boosting teams like Toronto, Montreal and Buffalo. Either way, I don't think this will be an issue once they figure out where everything goes.

If the three (two expansion and Florida) ends up being Las Vegas, Seattle and KC then they can keep both Detroit and Columbus in the East. At one point Bob McKenzie predicted that the NHL would end up with 33 teams and didn't believe that they cared about even numbers as much as everybody thinks... If that happens then Portland, KC and QC all have better shots at landing a team.

Shea Weber

Tyler Myers

Josh Gorges

Jerome Iginla

Milan Lucic

Curtis Lazar

Scott Hartnell

to name a few. 

I agree with you on that one. B.C.s interior is beautiful on so many levels.

I don't think relocation and realignment is much of an issue IF the league is willing to move a team from the East into the West (probably one of Detroit or Columbus despite the league saying they don't want that).

Here's the current NHL alignment:

eUrpkos.jpg?1

\

I like how the NYC/Philly division, whatever they call it, is the "little spoon."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.