Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

The are ancient. 

If NHL Numbers is correct, they are the oldest team with their average age at 30.5

I don't know who is going to replace the aging players in the next couple of years.  They have to take a forward this draft or they are idiots.  

The Devils talk is interesting. I thought Lou Lam was a genius?

Nope. The game passed him by I think in time.

The NJD since 2009 have selected 9 players with 1st or 2nd round picks.  Of those 9 players 6 have been defenders.  They are going to age rapidly unless they address this problem immediately.  Remember how Buffalo took basically 0 centers between 2008 and 2012?  Same kind of idea.  They did get one Cup Finals appearance but they are definitely trending down.

Just to put the Devils picks in perspective....

The Sabres had 15 1st and 2nd round picks during the same time period.  12 picks since 2012.  4 of those picks were defensemen.  So 6/9 versus 4/15.  This indicates that the Devils really love their defenders and Buffalo has loved their forwards recently.  

Just to put the Devils picks in perspective....

The Sabres had 15 1st and 2nd round picks during the same time period.  12 picks since 2012.  4 of those picks were defensemen.  So 6/9 versus 4/15.  This indicates that the Devils really love their defenders and Buffalo has loved their forwards recently.  

Something, something, BPA, something.

that's what the trade market is for.

Something, something, BPA, something.

that's what the trade market is for.

We have fundamental differences on how to determine BPA and we have fundamental differences on what you can and can't do in the trade market.  

We have fundamental differences on how to determine BPA and we have fundamental differences on what you can and can't do in the trade market.  

That may very well be, but I wasn't responding to your ideas on how you determine BPA.  I was responding to:

the Devils really love their defenders and Buffalo has loved their forwards 

If there were a way to prove it I'd lay money down that the Devils thought they were drafting BPA and not defenders because they prefer defenders.  And ditto for forwards and Buffalo.

Edited by weave

That may very well be, but I wasn't responding to your ideas on how you determine BPA.  I was responding to:

If there were a way to prove it I'd lay money down that the Devils thought they were drafting BPA and not defenders because they prefer defenders.  And ditto for forwards and Buffalo.

Not sure I ever said Buffalo preferred X or NJ preferred Y.  I simply stated those two teams have loved those players respectively and find it interesting how they drafted over a period of time.  You can bet all the money you want but we will never be able to prove that a GM targeted or did not target a specific position.

I do find it fascinating that following the 2006 Cup lost DR went 5/8 on 1st/2nd round picks at defense over the next 3 drafts.  How they determine who is BPA would be interesting to see. 

I will admit I may be inferring some things, however how you would like to interpret them... well, that's entirely up to you.

B-)

Not sure I ever said Buffalo preferred X or NJ preferred Y.  I simply stated those two teams have loved those players respectively and find it interesting how they drafted over a period of time.  You can bet all the money you want but we will never be able to prove that a GM targeted or did not target a specific position.

I do find it fascinating that following the 2006 Cup lost DR went 5/8 on 1st/2nd round picks at defense over the next 3 drafts.  How they determine who is BPA would be interesting to see. 

I will admit I may be inferring some things, however how you would like to interpret them... well, that's entirely up to you.

B-)

You and JJFiveoh seem to have the same buzz tonight.

B-)

5/8 isn't interesting. That's one pick over half. If it was 7/8 then it's notable. MAYBE 6/8...

So TM quits after this off-season, right?

;)

(Not directed at you Brawndo, just the people that claim Otterland is where TM's heart truly resides.)

So TM quits after this off-season, right?

;)

(Not directed at you Brawndo, just the people that claim Otterland is where TM's heart truly resides.)

I remember one of Tim Murray's first interviews here with Bulldog. *

Bulldog: Will you miss Ottawa?

GMTM: Not at all. 

I really don't think guys in the scouting world get wrapped up in being in a place. They are everyplace almost by definition. 

*I really don't listen to WGR much. So I could have this wrong. 

Edited by X. Benedict

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.