Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Rumor is Quenneville and Cooper might be safe as well. ;)

Not sure how the Boudreau story warranted top billing in the article. Would have been shocking to see him get canned.

There was actually a lot of speculation on Boudreau. The fact that Murray wouldn't say that Boudreau was safe earlier kind of shows why. They apparently have a terrible relationship.

I've always loved the idea of a Weber for Malkin deal but I see why both sides would likely say no unless they got more.

I assume Pittsburgh would send him out west first. Minnesota for Granlund, Spurgeon, Alex Tuch, Pominville and a first. That's probably the right number of solid pieces, but none of them are big pieces.

I've always loved the idea of a Weber for Malkin deal but I see why both sides would likely say no unless they got more.

I assume Pittsburgh would send him out west first. Minnesota for Granlund, Spurgeon, Alex Tuch, Pominville and a first. That's probably the right number of solid pieces, but none of them are big pieces.

What about San Jose?

What about San Jose?

I'm not sure SJ is in a position to acquire a piece like Malkin. IMO they should trade Thornton and Marleau to start a quick rebuild before Cotoure gets too old to build around. Minnesota I could see but I'm not sure they think they need to give that much up when they did well last season. I could see St. Louis having the pieces and being under pressure to win to make the trade

I'm not sure SJ is in a position to acquire a piece like Malkin. IMO they should trade Thornton and Marleau to start a quick rebuild before Cotoure gets too old to build around. Minnesota I could see but I'm not sure they think they need to give that much up when they did well last season. I could see St. Louis having the pieces and being under pressure to win to make the trade

Problem with Marleua and Thornton is NTC have SJ in a bind. 

St Louis is a good idea though.

Friedman's 30 thoughts:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-nhl-to-ban-shot-blocking-techniques/

Some highlights:

On a consideration on managing goalies and their size/pads:

Apparently, one of the considerations is tapered jerseys, which would make it harder to hide oversized equipment. The tighter the sweater, the easier it is to see how big goalies are in, say, their chest protector compared to how big they are in person. Before last season, the committee shortened the height of pads, from 55 percent to 45 above the distance between the centre of the knee and the pelvis.

On stopping sliding blocked shots or other styles:

It isn’t just the goaltenders being targeted. NHLPA special assistant Mathieu Schneider declined to comment, but, according to a couple of sources, he introduced thoughts about disallowing certain shot-blocking techniques. Without his commentary, it’s difficult to know exactly what he proposed, but in 2008, then-Canadiens GM Bob Gainey recommended banning full-body sliding while in the defending zone.

-There will be an NFL-style challenge at the end of games where the NHL take over close calls (the last minute of regulation and overtime).

-Malkin doesn't want a trade.

-Columbus is a team to watch in trading for Toronto or another higher pick in a move up for Hanifin or Provorov.

-Carl Soderberg likely won't be back in Boston.

Friedman's 30 thoughts:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-nhl-to-ban-shot-blocking-techniques/

Some highlights:

On a consideration on managing goalies and their size/pads:

On stopping sliding blocked shots or other styles:

-There will be an NFL-style challenge at the end of games where the NHL take over close calls (the last minute of regulation and overtime).

-Malkin doesn't want a trade.

-Columbus is a team to watch in trading for Toronto or another higher pick in a move up for Hanifin or Provorov.

-Carl Soderberg likely won't be back in Boston.

I would not like any shot blocking restrictions.  Scenario...Game 7 of the Finals in a tie game, 1 minute to go, a player is staring at an open net(goalie out of position), and the only thing preventing the puck from going in is an oppositions last gasp lunge in order to keep the puck out of the net.  

I would not like any shot blocking restrictions.  Scenario...Game 7 of the Finals in a tie game, 1 minute to go, a player is staring at an open net(goalie out of position), and the only thing preventing the puck from going in is an oppositions last gasp lunge in order to keep the puck out of the net.  

Take the penalty.

I'm not sure how I feel about shot-blocking restrictions, really.

I would not like any shot blocking restrictions. Scenario...Game 7 of the Finals in a tie game, 1 minute to go, a player is staring at an open net(goalie out of position), and the only thing preventing the puck from going in is an oppositions last gasp lunge in order to keep the puck out of the net.

That's a good thing. Rules leading to more goal scoring would be welcome.

That's a good thing. Rules leading to more goal scoring would be welcome.

Rules that open up play, fine (or just call the game like it is supposed to be called).  Rules barring a traditional defense function?  I don't see a need for it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.