Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

IIRC the 05-06 Sabres defense was pretty much decimated when teams saw the damage they could do to us with a dump and crash game.  It has its place for sure.

I don't think that was it. IIRC......Sabres started the ECF in 06 with all defensemen but  Kalinen. (broken ankle...I seem to remember bad ice). 

Teppo had a hip flexor, Tallinder broke his arm (on a weird play on the side boards IIR), McKee got a staff infection. All kind of freaky really.

Carolina weren't dumping, they were playing the Left Wing Lock. It was a heavy forecheck, but not much crash. 

I don't think that was it. IIRC......Sabres started the ECF in 06 with all defensemen but  Kalinen. (broken ankle...I seem to remember bad ice). 

Teppo had a hip flexor, Tallinder broke his arm (on a weird play on the side boards IIR), McKee got a staff infection. All kind of freaky really.

Carolina weren't dumping, they were playing the Left Wing Lock. It was a heavy forecheck, but not much crash. 

We remember it differently then.  I remember the Sabres getting the worst of the physical play, and our D men targeted once they started dropping in the last two series that year.

The Blues and the Ducks have both tried pounding the D into submission against the Hawks and failed. And that with the Hawks third pair rarely seeing the ice. Now is that something unique to Duncan Keith, or is it a rule of thumb that applies to most teams?

You find guys that WANT to play that game and actually have talent....like Bogosian, Zadorov, Gorges, (maybe) Risto......

If the Sabres defense matures, under Bylsma it will be a top 5 unit. They just need a real top 10 goalie and this team will go on a 5 year run in 3 years or so.

You find guys that WANT to play that game and actually have talent....like Bogosian, Zadorov, Gorges, (maybe) Risto......

If the Sabres defense matures, under Bylsma it will be a top 5 unit. They just need a real top 10 goalie and this team will go on a 5 year run in 3 years or so.

I'm not sold on the idea of needing a top 10 goalie, probably mostly due to the fact that I have no idea what that is anymore.  If that blue line grows the way you're hoping, give me just a serviceable goalie and I think we can go a long way.  I realize I'm probably just playing a game of semantics with what I just said, but I'm not sure I really see the value of the superstar goalie at this point.  Sure they can take you somewhere (ie. Carey Price), but if you put the right team around even an average goalie, you're going to be in good shape.

He knew what he was doing and how to adjust.   If you watch the Hawks, they do both, depending on who is on ice.  Ruff did too--WHEN he had the personnel to carry.

Also--to whomever upthread recommended tonight's CHL Memorial Cup champ game, this is a freaking awesome game.

It was a great game !

I hope Derrico was able to watch, I think he is a big Oshawa fan.

I'm not sold on the idea of needing a top 10 goalie, probably mostly due to the fact that I have no idea what that is anymore. If that blue line grows the way you're hoping, give me just a serviceable goalie and I think we can go a long way. I realize I'm probably just playing a game of semantics with what I just said, but I'm not sure I really see the value of the superstar goalie at this point. Sure they can take you somewhere (ie. Carey Price), but if you put the right team around even an average goalie, you're going to be in good shape.

I think goaltending is more important the worse your team is (your Price example works really well here). It can't be bad, of course, but I think the best teams are showing you can get by with just "a guy." And I'm certain we hope that's how good the Sabres roster ends up.

I think goaltending is more important the worse your team is (your Price example works really well here). It can't be bad, of course, but I think the best teams are showing you can get by with just "a guy." And I'm certain we hope that's how good the Sabres roster ends up.

I don't want to get into ranking goalies, but do know that both Crawford and Bishop wouldn't be near the top of my list.  I'd love to see what Price could do with a better roster behind him, especially some stronger forwards.

John Hynes, coach in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, is getting the job in New Jersey. Draft-pick compensation with the Pens the only hang up right now (sound familiar?).

People round these parts are unhappy. They liked Hynes. Good dude.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.