Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

I feel Columbus will take care of business tonight, but the next, and perhaps only hope, is that Pittsburgh needs a meaningful game tomorrow. If they lose or only pick up one point, they would absolutely need a win on Saturday to make the playoffs, right? Unless of course, Boston loses, but with a 7:30 start, they would likely want to take control of their own destiny. Who would win the tie breaker between Boston and Pittsburgh? Just wondering if Pittsburgh gets even one point tonight if that ship has sailed.

So this year.. Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Montreal, and possibly Ottawa are all in the playoffs?  Canada is happy.

Here's a thought for flow..

why even have offsides?  Just go wherever the hell you feel like it, when you feel like it.  No reason to artificially make the ice area smaller by restricting where players can go.

Wait.. so guys can skate freely around the ice and now it becomes unbearable to watch?

Cherry picking is a strategy.  It could also mean that the defenders now play a guy on the cherry picker.  This then means you have 4 v 4 in the offensive area.  So..... why not?

Having two players doing nothing but sitting in the opposing end from where the puck is bad IMO. You're essentially voiding two players for no reason, and if its a cherry picker it's probably your best offensive guy and consequentially vs your best d-man. It also means that in the 4-4 in the other best 1 forward is basically relegated to playing the point

Edited by WildComrade

So this year.. Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Montreal, and possibly Ottawa are all in the playoffs?  Canada is happy.

why even have offsides?  Just go wherever the hell you feel like it, when you feel like it.  No reason to artificially make the ice area smaller by restricting where players can go.

I'll save Liger the trouble.

They're looking at a definite Calgary/Vancouver matchup and a decent shot at Montreal/Ottawa. So a good portion of Canada will be back to being upset after one round.

So with the Isle @ Ptt, either outcome means the Sabres game has importance tomorrow right? If Pitt wins, they secure a spot but still have to jockey for seeding. If they lose, they HAVE to win tomorrow. Unless there is any way they get eliminated before puck drop tomorrow, we want them to lose tonight correct?

So with the Isle @ Ptt, either outcome means the Sabres game has importance tomorrow right? If Pitt wins, they secure a spot but still have to jockey for seeding. If they lose, they HAVE to win tomorrow. Unless there is any way they get eliminated before puck drop tomorrow, we want them to lose tonight correct?

We want Pittsburgh to be as desperate as possible tomorrow.  That is until the results of the Sabres game tonight are known. 

I'll save Liger the trouble.

C'mon man.. entertain the thought.  You'd be unhappy if someone just dismissed you.  Granted I'm happy you did so with a clip like that, but still.  What else is there to talk about?

the only way to really bring about increased scoring is to reduce the ability of goalies to stop goals. Since goalies seem to win every argument on the safety excuse when it comes to reducing gear, the only logical thing to do is increase the area they have to defend. So bigger nets is really the only answer. to any "purist" that cries but but the integrity of the game and invalidating older stats, I say fine keep the nets the same size and limit goaltenders to 1950's average heights and weights.

If we want to go gimmicky I propose a hybrid/elimnation of the neutral zone. once the defensive team gains possession of their blue line the whole ice is open for passes. however passes originating inside the defensive zone would use the red line as the offside marker. I think this would be interesting to see in action as it would force some tough decisions on the D and allow for some interesting breakouts

I'm all in this playoff for the Jets. Once/if they are eliminated, I will care not who wins.

I have never rooted for another per se, only against teams.

But both my son and I have adopted the Jets from the beginning of the season. Love their fans, enjoy watching them play. Hope they go deep.

Next year will be interesting in the East...

Rangers, Lightning and Canadiens should all be near the top still.

The Penguins faltered but they're so talented that you have to think they get it figured out and get back in. Will Boston be able to do that, too? Questionable considering their cap situation and the fact that they just don't have a whole lot of scoring options with a defense that will continue to lose parts.

The Isles and Caps could go either way but will likely be contending still.

Detroit is aging... Do they finally break? Especially if Babcock leaves.

Then you've got Ottawa: will Hammond play near this level (if he doesn't leave as a UFA)? If not will they continue the hot scoring enough to push them through to the playoffs?

Will the young Panthers continue to grow or stay about where they are?

The Flyers are one of the most talented teams in the league but injuries and poor defense continues to hold them back...

Columbus should be right back in the picture. The best team in hockey down the stretch.

Then us.

Edited by Hoss

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.