Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Might the East be better than the West this year?

From 1-8 the East seems to have a contender. If they're not at the top then they're a veteran team (BOS, DET, PIT) with the talent to make a run. The Islanders might be the weakest team in the playoffs.

The West has a battle at the bottom, but they've got Vancouver, Winnipeg and Calgary in right now. None of those teams scare me in the slightest. If the Kings miss (still doubt it) then the West has maybe three contenders (CHI, STL, ANA).

Obviously anything can happen in the postseason.

Empty Net goal for Ottawa!!

Might the East be better than the West this year?

From 1-8 the East seems to have a contender. If they're not at the top then they're a veteran team (BOS, DET, PIT) with the talent to make a run. The Islanders might be the weakest team in the playoffs.

The West has a battle at the bottom, but they've got Vancouver, Winnipeg and Calgary in right now. None of those teams scare me in the slightest. If the Kings miss (still doubt it) then the West has maybe three contenders (CHI, STL, ANA).

Obviously anything can happen in the postseason.

(ahem)   :flirt:

Edited by WildComrade

Empty Net goal for Ottawa!!

(ahem) :flirt:

I am watching the game and made that statement regardless of the result here. Ottawa getting in weakens the East, but I would still view them as the better conference this year. What a game.

Simple question for everyone, is the East finally better than the West? Sure the Central is loaded with St.Louis, Chicago, Nashville, Minnesota, and WPG, but the Pacific is far from a great division, with Calgary being an emerging team, the Ducks a great regular season team with playoff woes, and the Kings the exact opposite of the Ducks.

The East holds the two best teams points wise and, perhaps more importantly, defensively as well in the Canadians and Rangers. The East also holds the two best offensive squads, with the Isles and Lightening.

There are five teams with 88+ points in the East, all of which have a realistic shot at finishing with 100+ points, whereas there are only 3 in the West. 

With the exception of Pekke Rinne, the best goalies are hands-down in the East.

Nashville is crashing, and is not a team built for the playoffs. The Kings, Blackhawks (provided Kane returns), and St.Louis, IMO, the only real threats in the West. I'll believe the Ducks when I see it.

The East otoh has the Rags, Bruins, Canadiens, and Caps as legitimate contenders. The Rags are easily the best overall team of that group, and will only get better when Lundqvist comes back. The Bruins are on fire right now, and as a big team with great goaltending, they are a threat in the playoffs. The Kreji injury puts a serious damper in their hopes, but I wouldn't count them out. The Lightening are still unproven and a little speed-drive/soft for my liking. Caps play a very physical game, and Ovechkin seems to have found an ability to play some defense; my concern their is they rely heavily on the pp, something that isn't really a factor in May-June. The Canadiens' major flaw is, of course, their lack of scoring. Teams in the west figured out all we have to do is smother Pacioretty and go with a hard forecheck on Subban and we can neutralize their two best players. The Pens...well again, I'll believe MAF when I see it. They get frustrated easily, and will get murdered by a team like the Rags if they meet in the playoffs. 

So tl;dr, is the East better than the West?

I am watching the game and made that statement regardless of the result here. Ottawa getting in weakens the East, but I would still view them as the better conference this year. What a game.

I was referring to my post above  :P

Oh wow haha. Good post. Agree completely.

Gracias, great minds think alike.

Pens-Isles Game on Friday just got HUGE.

I'm really hoping for a Saturday match-up where the Penguins playoff hopes require them beating us, regardless of what happens to us on Friday. 

Nope. A lot still has to happen there. Still chasing Calgary and Winnipeg.

The Peg won tonight, so it looks like the Kings can't end up as a wildcard, but you are correct, they could catch Calgary.

EDIT:

Double checked and the Kings could still catch the Peg too.

It's been a long day.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.