Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

There had been a lot of talk in recent weeks about how their won't be a 100 point scorer in the NHL. I hadn't looked at the scoring leaders in a while, but this morning I noticed that unless a miracle happens, there won't even be a 90 point scorer. That's shockingly low.

3 of 3 games played in the NHL tonight were shutouts.

And Holtby just completed a shutout of the entire season series against Boston last night. I bet I know who they'd love to see in the playoffs.

We are talking about an additional 1% chance in the lottery here. That's not going to put anyone over the top in the sweepstakes.

But a 100% chance of having two picks in the top 14. :)

And yet the NHL doesn't think it has a scoring problem. 

The avg goals scored in the CBJ vs. Laffs was 2.5.  That's not too bad! :)

And yet the NHL doesn't think it has a scoring problem.

All you need to do is watch 15 minutes of any game to see the glaring issue. The majority of scoring chances are a dman wristing a puck at a throng of players trying to kill each other in front of the net hoping the puck glances off a skate, ankle, shin or butt and either goes in or lands squarely in front of the net for a point blank chance. It's awful.

It's also why Buffalo is still competing with good teams right now. It doesn't take a huge amount of skill to stay in games. Just throw the puck at the net and see what happens.

Edited by Inkoslav Manilov

All you need to do is watch 15 minutes of any game to see the glaring issue. The majority of scoring chances are a dman wristing a puck at a throng of players trying to kill each other in front of the net hoping the puck glances off a skate, ankle, shin or butt and either goes in or lands squarely in front of the net for a point blank chance. It's awful.

It's also why Buffalo is still competing with good teams right now. It doesn't take a huge amount of skill to stay in games. Just throw the puck at the net and see what happens.

It's true, and hugely depressing. I like watching the old games on NHL network where there's so much flow and openness to the game. I know people have talked about bringing that back before, but how? 

It's true, and hugely depressing. I like watching the old games on NHL network where there's so much flow and openness to the game. I know people have talked about bringing that back before, but how? 

The rinks looker bigger to me in old games...

Make the rinks bigger?

The rinks looker bigger to me in old games...

Make the rinks bigger?

I think that kills offense, no? IIRC that's the case with the Olympic leagues: there's more room to the outside so the defense can force you to the walls. Again, IIRC, the Finnish rinks are a different size the the NHL's and the Olympic's, and have had very good results with their play. 

I think that kills offense, no? IIRC that's the case with the Olympic leagues: there's more room to the outside so the defense can force you to the walls. Again, IIRC, the Finnish rinks are a different size the the NHL's and the Olympic's, and have had very good results with their play. 

To your first point, being able to skate the puck into the offensive zone would be common, not uncommon as it is now (NHL is a dump and chase league). It would also leave the middle open if the defense is on the perimeters, leaving lots of dumps and blind passes to the middle with the trailing player getting chances, I would think that would create more scoring, yes?

Have not watched Finnish, could be a mix of rink size and calling obstruction type penalties?

Edited by Woods-Racer

Calling the 400 uncalled interference penalties and reducing the size of goalie equipment. Done.

My ideas on improving offense:

-Make the goalie pads smaller. The recent change was weak.

-Make the nets SLIGHTLY bigger.

-No icing the puck on the penalty kill. Get it out of your zone the normal way.

-Call the penalties when they happen. More power plays should mean more scoring. If you enforce the rules more guys will be less likely to try and bend them.

Calling the 400 uncalled interference penalties and reducing the size of goalie equipment. Done.

Yeap.

Calling the penalties will have the biggest impact.

My ideas on improving offense:

-Make the goalie pads smaller. The recent change was weak.

-Make the nets SLIGHTLY bigger.

-No icing the puck on the penalty kill. Get it out of your zone the normal way.

-Call the penalties when they happen. More power plays should mean more scoring. If you enforce the rules more guys will be less likely to try and bend them.

Yeap.

Calling the penalties will have the biggest impact.

Smaller goalies, bigger nets.  No one over 5'5, aka Gerbe, should be allowed to play goalie.

No masks on goalies would work too.  Old School..  If you insist on a mask, it must be a Friday the 13th type

Edited by wjag

Or that. The league hasn't adjusted to bigger goalies, at all. That and they've stopped calling penalties.

It is almost like the don't realize how effective one timers that force a goalie to slide across are.  The big guys are a little bit slower. 

Granted all of those ideas will increase offense, but does it bring back the flow of the game? It seems like smaller pads/bigger nets just make the wrister from the point through traffic thing more successful

Spitballing no chance ideas for fun.

Let them keep playing if the puck hits the nets and falls back into play,  

Serve two full minutes of every penalty regardless of whether a goal is scored or not.

Make the long change two periods vice one

Shorten the neutral zone and move the goalie net further from the wall to encourage more play behind the net

Didn't they make an attempt at this coming out of the 2004-05 lockout? What happened?

The problem with reducing pads is that goalies want protection and they argue pretty heavily in favor of pads being the size they are. I expect they'll stay the current way for a long time.

The game has to change around the goalies. They're to entrenched to mess with.

Serve two full minutes of every penalty regardless of whether a goal is scored or not.

Shorten the neutral zone and move the goalie net further from the wall to encourage more play behind the net

Trampoline hockey. It's the future man... :flirt:

I like all these ideas except moving the net up. They narrowed it and that seeks to have created more play behind the net.

I still think that teams should get a power play if they don't score on a penalty shot.

I like all these ideas except moving the net up. They narrowed it and that seeks to have created more play behind the net.

I still think that teams should get a power play if they don't score on a penalty shot.

I remember reading somewhere that players said having the net away from the end boards meant it took longer for passes or to skate the puck to the front, giving the defending team more time to react.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.