2014-2015 Roster

Stads

Equally tiresome is the assertion that because we have incomplete information we can't put together a reasonable judgment. We literally never have full information on what and why sports teams think/do things, so if that is the standard by which to make observations and develop an opinion, SDS should just shut the board down. Even watching games on TV we don't see the entirety of play, but I don't see you telling people to pipe down in GDTs when they criticize a player.

I agree that we never have complete information, but some instances are much more incomplete than others.

I assume you would agree that we would have better information on a player after, say, watching 25 regular-season games, with regular NHL teammates, opponents, goalies, practices, roster sizes, coaching, etc., as opposed to 2 or 3 preseason games with none of the above (and limited camera angles, replays, etc.)?

I agree that we never have complete information, but some instances are much more incomplete than others.

I assume you would agree that we would have better information on a player after, say, watching 25 regular-season games, with regular NHL teammates, opponents, goalies, practices, roster sizes, coaching, etc., as opposed to 2 or 3 preseason games with none of the above (and limited camera angles, replays, etc.)?

You've got a great point in general. I just don't know that it applies so much here.

I do think that Nolan's comments about earning spots weren't necessarily supported by any of the roster decisions. Grigorenko and McCabe stood out to me. They were two of the better players on the team this preseason and did everything that could be expected of them (from what I witnessed, read and heard myself) to "earn" a spot. So it seems there was never really a chance to earn an opening night spot. Maybe they earned the first call ups, though.

You've got a great point in general. I just don't know that it applies so much here.

I do think that Nolan's comments about earning spots weren't necessarily supported by any of the roster decisions. Grigorenko and McCabe stood out to me. They were two of the better players on the team this preseason and did everything that could be expected of them (from what I witnessed, read and heard myself) to "earn" a spot. So it seems there was never really a chance to earn an opening night spot. Maybe they earned the first call ups, though.

The roster was set before camp opened. Who could clear waivers, not have to go through waivers, and Reinhart and Zadarov getting 9 games was all predetermined.

I could have accepted all this of TN didn't make his useless speech on earning a position. Sometimes i think he likes to hear himself talk and forgets his job is to lead the team to last place.

Don't exactly know how they are going to get the players to buy into playing hard and giving everything they have night in and night out when the players themselves know what the plan is. Honestly, if I was a player on this team i would have a real hard time listening to the rhetoric. I would be like " I will give you 100% when management gives me 100%".

The roster was set before camp opened. Who could clear waivers, not have to go through waivers, and Reinhart and Zadarov getting 9 games was all predetermined.

I could have accepted all this of TN didn't make his useless speech on earning a position. Sometimes i think he likes to hear himself talk and forgets his job is to lead the team to last place.

Don't exactly know how they are going to get the players to buy into playing hard and giving everything they have night in and night out when the players themselves know what the plan is. Honestly, if I was a player on this team i would have a real hard time listening to the rhetoric. I would be like " I will give you 100% when management gives me 100%".

Again, both of you are assuming that you have enough information to determine whether Griggy and McCabe earned roster spots. I don't see how you can make this assumption. There just weren't enough televised games in which those guys played -- not to mention the fact that those games included plenty of non-NHL opponents.

I also think that practice/scrimmage time (as opposed to the preseason games) makes up quite a bit -- and perhaps the majority -- of the basis for roster decisions on young players.

SicknFla's point about waiver status playing a role is well taken, and I think he's right. But if there's been one comment about Teddy from his players that's been pretty consistently made, it's that he knows how to get the most out of his guys. If he thinks time in Rochester will be better for Griggy and McCabe, I'm inclined to agree with him.

I don't think players think like this at all. Well, unless, unless your name is Christian.

Griggy saying the right things

Rob Sanderson @RSandersonWHTK · 36m36 minutes ago

Grigorenko: "I'm disappointed that I didn't stay up in NHL, but I think it's a really good opportunity for me to come here."

Grigorenko: "I need to play really good hockey right here (w/
) & that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to work really hard."
Edited by BRAWNDO

I think the idea is to give Sam a taste of the regular season and let him down easy with an improvement plan for next season. He didn't seem to stand out and was weak on face offs, which Grigo was decent at. Hopefully Grigo has the fire in his belly and proves he deserves to be up. With the NHL stint and the WJC Sam will only play about 40 games in the WHL, it won't feel like a year.

Griggy saying the right things

Rob Sanderson @RSandersonWHTK · 36m36 minutes ago

Grigorenko: "I'm disappointed that I didn't stay up in NHL, but I think it's a really good opportunity for me to come here."

Grigorenko: "I need to play really good hockey right here (w/
) & that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to work really hard."

Sounds like Grigs gets it. I hope he tears it up down there and makes it hard on TM & TN.

Sounds like Grigs gets it. I hope he tears it up down there and makes it hard on TM & TN.

I think Grigs knows he is only down there until Samson's 9 games are up.

Murray has some flexibility to add a waiver pick up from another team though, so that could possibly impact Grigorenko's status.

I think Grigs knows he is only down there until Samson's 9 games are up.

Murray has some flexibility to add a waiver pick up from another team though, so that could possibly impact Grigorenko's status.

The last big waivers happened today, and I doubt anybody worthwhile goes on waivers in the next month. Teams will let things shake out.

Grigo would probably murder somebody if we picked up a journeyman on waivers instead of bringing him up.

Edited by Tankalicious

you guys got it right,well, most of you

Reinhart gets his 9 games and may not stick. Either way Grigorenko is in Rochester to play major minutes and continue his development curve because he won't be a Sabre on the 3rd, 4th line. So barring injuries or complete Reinhart suckitude Grigs will be in the AHL for the next month.

http://twopadstack.net/sam-reinhart-returned-juniors/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

So needless to say that it really makes the decision that much easier considering Reinhart hasn’t played well and has had his role minimized in every game he’s played. He got around 13:30 in the first two games he played, against the Columbus Blue Jackets and Chicago Blackhawks, but saw that dropped to 11:12 in game three and just 6:39 against the Carolina Hurricanes on Tuesday. And the drop in ice time was warranted: Reinhart was bad when you even noticed him at all. He’d be invisible during the majority of his time on the ice, with the only time he was recognizable being his inability to win a draw or him getting knocked down.

Do you agree or disagree? I am starting to agree and I still have faith Reinhart will be fine.

Also Mark Pysyk is practicing today without a no contact jersey. He could be back for the game tomorrow.

Reinhart isn't bad. He's just taking up space.

He's not ready and should be sent down as soon as the organization feels it has shown him what he needs to do to make the jump.

I am entirely confident he will make it.

I can't wait to watch him rip up the world juniors with McDavid and hope he can part of an Amerks playoff run.

Edited by dudacek

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.