Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

That's a lot of work. Nice job.

Thanks. Sunday's are really slow at work and I thought it'd be useful to get a quick roundup of each candidates trip to this point. I'm sure they'll hire somebody not on that list tomorrow afternoon, though.

Thanks. Sunday's are really slow at work and I thought it'd be useful to get a quick roundup of each candidates trip to this point. I'm sure they'll hire somebody not on that list tomorrow afternoon, though.

After reading through that list, I'm more convinced than ever that Schwartz should be the guy. He'll need to bring in a top shelf OC if he wants this team to improve. A discussion with Whaley about the QB would be imperative as well.

After reading through that list, I'm more convinced than ever that Schwartz should be the guy. He'll need to bring in a top shelf OC if he wants this team to improve. A discussion with Whaley about the QB would be imperative as well.

As I was writing is my brain grew more attached to Bevell. Gase is somebody I think has a lot of potential and could be a home run. I love the way he adjusts to what he has. Seems to get the most out of every player.

Reich is losing steam in my eyes but I still fully expect him to get the job.

If they go to the defensive side I think they should interview Todd Bowles. From that list I'm only interested in Bevell and Gase. I think I'm going to just going to accept whoever they hire at this point, though. As long as it's not Jackson, Austin or Shanahan.

As I was writing is my brain grew more attached to Bevell. Gase is somebody I think has a lot of potential and could be a home run. I love the way he adjusts to what he has. Seems to get the most out of every player.

If they go to the defensive side I think they should interview Todd Bowles. From that list I'm only interested in Bevell and Gase. I think I'm going to just going to accept whoever they hire at this point, though. As long as it's not Jackson, Austin or Shanahan.

Gase is probably out of the running. The Pegula's Plane was only on the ground for 48 Mins in Denver before departing for Seattle. It sounds more like a courtesy interview with Gase then anything else.

BTW Tank, your write up was first rate.

Edited by BRAWNDO

Solid write up Tank, well done. Based on you post, I'd take Gase or Shwartz. Going from a coach the players had no respect/drive to play for to one they do in Shwartz could be perfect. Hire Shwartz, get a solid OC, and then tackle your QB.

Looks like Marrone won't be even slightly missed in Orchard Park

Sources said that Marrone belittled people across all levels of the organization. From the front office to the media relations department to reporters to players, he tried to disparage perceived easy targets. His poor treatment of those people didn’t go unnoticed. Marrone didn’t berate everyone. If he felt that you could further his cause, he would tolerate — or even engage — you. However, one person who was treated with respect by Marrone in the past two years told the Daily News that he never felt it was authentic.

Many Bills players didn’t like him, according to sources. That fact alone doesn’t mean much considering that disciplinarians often aren’t beloved by everyone in the locker room. However, Marrone’s lack of people skills rubbed many co-workers the wrong way. He took a coarse tack that wasn’t well-received in the building, according to sources.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.2064861

Out of all the coordinatos, I like Bevell as well. I'm curious as to why you would be against Shanahan.

I'd pay a few $ to sit down at a bar with Buddy Nix and hear his breakdown of this cluster-f.

You wouldn't be disappointed. Buddy would insist on using whatever money you were gonna pay for another round, too.

GO BILLS!!!

Out of all the coordinatos, I like Bevell as well. I'm curious as to why you would be against Shanahan.

He had one playoff win since 99 (13 years of coaching). He's now nearly two decades removed from his two rings so I have a tough time getting excited about those.

His mismanagement of RGIII in Washington's playoff appearance is too much to overlook on its own, as well. He threw a kid's career out the window for the sake of a playoff win in the first year of his career. The details around his communications with doctos is still questionable at best.

He just seems out of touch. I can't get excited about that guy. And it doesn't seem anybody around the league/in the stands is that excited about his name anymore.

For the record, the Bills jet was in San Francisco. There's a decent chance that's an interview with Shanahan and/or Reich there. Shanahan reportedly interviewed with San Fran recently. Maybe he lives there? He did coach there a few years ago.

Edited by Tank

Gase is probably out of the running. The Pegula's Plane was only on the ground for 48 Mins in Denver before departing for Seattle. It sounds more like a courtesy interview with Gase then anything else.

BTW Tank, your write up was first rate.

Good post tank, very informative

Hey Brawn, think we can get tank to come aboard and do our H+P's for us ;)

But that Pag-e-ula sure has one hell of a piece of trim......

*Ahem*

Sorry if this was mentioned upthread: I read a Tweet-rumor that a major point of falling out for Marrone was the price paid to draft Watkins.

Marrone appears to be a dick with an unduly inflated sense of self. But, if true, I was and am with him on that one.

Edited by That Aud Smell

*Ahem*

"You done know what I'm talkin bout there yankee boy. You're layin in them hedges like infantry scouting out the VC."

In reality, watching a power struggle and implosion between Marrone, Pegula, Brandon and Whaley is like debating who is hotter....Jan Brady, Rosanne, Phoebe from Friends, and that broad from Blossom.....

Because I haven't said it in the new year... EJ Manuel pick was the dumbest ###### thing and everyone involved with that stupidity should be fired.

I don't like any of the guys who were former DC because our defense is fine. I want someone who is a gifted offensive coordinator and who can use the multitude of weapons the bills offense has properly. Personally I like Gase because he is young and up an coming. I also hate him because he is young and up an coming... but it should make for some interesting Bills news in January for the first time in a decade so wooot.

"You done know what I'm talkin bout there yankee boy. You're layin in them hedges like infantry scouting out the VC."

In reality, watching a power struggle and implosion between Marrone, Pegula, Brandon and Whaley is like debating who is hotter....Jan Brady, Rosanne, Phoebe from Friends, and that broad from Blossom.....

So who are you picking?

edit: And thanks for the details, tank. I haven't been able to follow this too closely, but I've seen people throw a ton of names around and I really had no clue who most were.

Edited by shrader

My priority is in keeping continuity on the defensive sde of the ball. Good teams are successful because there is continutiy from year to year, and the players and coaches know what to expect, are able to build on last year's systems, and not have the players learn entirely new playbooks/systems. So whatever happens with teh coaching search, I think it is imperitive to keep Schwartz and his staff in place on the defensive side, and maintain the same defensive playbook and system.

With regards to the coching candidates, I think I am rooting for Bevell from Seattle's OC, for innovation, success in a run first, mobile QB offense, and relative youth.

Dan Quinn, Seattle Seahawks DC

Mike Shanahan, former LA Raiders, Broncos and Washington HC

Jim Schwartz, Buffalo Bills DC

Rex Ryan, fired as New York Jets HC

My preference would be one of these guys with a slight leaning toward Shanahan.

@RapSheet: Hearing #Colts OC Pep Hamilton won’t interview this week with #Raiders & #Bills. Was a tight time window for it & logistically it won’t work

@RapSheet: It’s early, but at least right now, sounds like #Bills & #Raiders are willing to wait for Pep Hamilton. So talks should happen eventually

@AlbertBreer: Bills' formal request to interview Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson is in, and they're working on a time for it now.

Rapoport said it'll be when they return from the west coast.

Pegula's private plane is on its way back from the west coast as we speak. Had stops in Seattle, San Fran and San Deigo. Landing in Eagle County, CO as we speak, then on to Kansas, then back to Buffalo.

Looks like interviews with the Seattle staff (Bevell and Quinn in SEA), then on to San Fran (assuming Rex Ryan while he was in SF for their interview, Shanahan is rumored to live in SF now) and San Diego (Reich). That's just my speculation.

Here's the flight tracker link:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/XSR960/history/20150105/1400Z/KSAN/KEGE

And how is there no penalty for Dez Bryant running on the field with no helmet on to argue the call?

That Bs flag pickup changed the entire game

To not throw a flag there would have been a big story out if this game, but to throw it and then pick it up? WTF?

It's not just that. They threw it ANNOUNCED IT and then rescinded.

And how is there no penalty for Dez Bryant running on the field with no helmet on to argue the call?

So "official" story is a ref with a "better" view ruled it face guarding and overruled the PI call from back judge. Face guarding is not allowed in college but is allowed in NFL. Hmmm...

My preference would be one of these guys with a slight leaning toward Shanahan.

I like Shanahan since a new owner might want some experience at the head coaching position. Discount everything Shanny did in Washington. Jesus H. Christ couldn't win in that place with Dan Snyder meddling in every decision (RGIII in particular).

I have a theory that winning in the NFL is more about the players (which falls on the GM) and the coordinators than about the head man, with the exception of cases where the head coach calls plays (either offensive or defensive). Just a theory...

From Peter King MMQB this AM

"I think if I were the Buffalo Bills, this is exactly what I’d do: Hire Mike Shanahan. Keep Jim Schwartz with an extension and a raise. And trade for Jay Cutler. Shanahan is the one who found and drafted Cutler and got him going on the right foot in Denver in 2006. The defense is ready to win playoff games now (not just qualify for the postseason), and it’s time to sell out to try to get the big-armed quarterback, who is scarred right now but still far better than the alternatives, to give Buffalo a legitimate offensive chance."