Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

Mike Shanahan is 41-60 since replacing Jake Plummer with Cutler. I know some of that is with Washington, but he was still just a 500 coach in Denver after Elway retired. There's simply no reason to believe he's any better than every coach we've had since Wade was canned. He's basically at the very bottom of my list.

I know it's my account but I didn't feel like retyping...

@DylanStebbins: On @SportsCenter, @mortreport just said Dan Quinn is the clear favorite for the NY Jets HC spot & Marrone "doesn't have much of a chance."

Hahahaha

I hope Darrell Bevell's interview skills are as good as his resume...

He has been on a playoff staff 11/15 years in the NFL. Seven playoff wins including one Super Bowl winning run last year (likely to add at least one more win this year). He knows success. His offenses have been up and down, but he gets a lot out of what he has. In 2009 he had the NFL's second highest scoring offense. Has had a top-ten scoring offense each of the last three years.

I hope Darrell Bevell's interview skills are as good as his resume...

He has been on a playoff staff 11/15 years in the NFL. Seven playoff wins including one Super Bowl winning run last year (likely to add at least one more win this year). He knows success. His offenses have been up and down, but he gets a lot out of what he has. In 2009 he had the NFL's second highest scoring offense. Has had a top-ten scoring offense each of the last three years.

Hard to believe but I think we both want the same guy although Shanahan/ Cutler appeals to me as well

Hard to believe but I think we both want the same guy although Shanahan/ Cutler appeals to me as well

I too have Bevell as my #1 choice. Too much success over his coaching career for it to be a fluke, and never really relied on a stud player. Always a solid running game which is something I think we desperately need.

So who are you picking?

edit: And thanks for the details, tank. I haven't been able to follow this too closely, but I've seen people throw a ton of names around and I really had no clue who most were.

I understood people making excuses for Pegula with the Sabres when some put out the warnings that he isn't the sharpest, but now, I don't know how anyone can feel giddy about him as a leader and keep a straight face. You can still hope, but like all things Buffalo, hope is usually what we are left with.

Word gets out he was going to hire Polian and pretty much relegate Brandon and Whaley to lame ducks, or the duties of the Queen at best. His QB quits. His coach quits with word that he actually could have received an extension for big money. Polian bails at the last second because of concerns of the work involved in finding a real coach and QB at best, or because of backstabbing dysfunction at worst. Now Pegula is scrambling across the globe with 2 guys he didn't have faith in to begin with to try and find a replacement at coach....while still supposedly looking to bring in someone else to run football ops.....

I'd love to say Marrone is an a-hole. He may be, especially how he cut and run on his players.....but the guy made the right move. Even if he doesn't get an NFL head gig this year, he gets $4 mil and can probably pick up a HC job at a top 25 college now that he has some NFL HC chops. In 3 years he is sitting on the same amount of total money, doing something he is probably more fit for, and will be able to jump back to the NFL on his own merit or prove he is mediocre. If he's mediocre he'd probably be fired anyway, so net-net his situation is the same going into 2018 with less stress.

I wasn't thrilled with the structure to begin with, but now instead of hoping to build on an upswing of a season, I find it hard to see how this team will be better next year. The scuttlebut around the league has quickly turned into what it was with the Sabres.

I'd love to say Marrone is an a-hole. He may be, especially how he cut and run on his players.....but the guy made the right move. Even if he doesn't get an NFL head gig this year, he gets $4 mil and can probably pick up a HC job at a top 25 college now that he has some NFL HC chops.

no, no he really can't.

Nope. Not at HC or DC that I am aware of. Georgia is replacing their OC and Bama might if Kiffin goes but outside of that, sounds like everyone is coming back.

http://www.collegefo...ng_changes.html

There are 60 or schools that I consider "Top 25". If Syracuse wasn't dogmeat for so long before he got there, you could almost call them that.

Bottom line...the Bills are screaming dysfunction, Marrone has an extra $4 mil in the bank, and even if he takes $2.5 mil a year to coach a BC, GT, Oregon ST. etc., he will be in the exact same financial position 3 years down the road and maybe a happier person.

Word gets out he was going to hire Polian and pretty much relegate Brandon and Whaley to lame ducks, or the duties of the Queen at best. His QB quits. His coach quits with word that he actually could have received an extension for big money. Polian bails at the last second because of concerns of the work involved in finding a real coach and QB at best, or because of backstabbing dysfunction at worst. Now Pegula is scrambling across the globe with 2 guys he didn't have faith in to begin with to try and find a replacement at coach....while still supposedly looking to bring in someone else to run football ops.....

I'd love to say Marrone is an a-hole. He may be, especially how he cut and run on his players.....but the guy made the right move. Even if he doesn't get an NFL head gig this year, he gets $4 mil and can probably pick up a HC job at a top 25 college now that he has some NFL HC chops. In 3 years he is sitting on the same amount of total money, doing something he is probably more fit for, and will be able to jump back to the NFL on his own merit or prove he is mediocre. If he's mediocre he'd probably be fired anyway, so net-net his situation is the same going into 2018 with less stress.

I wasn't thrilled with the structure to begin with, but now instead of hoping to build on an upswing of a season, I find it hard to see how this team will be better next year. The scuttlebut around the league has quickly turned into what it was with the Sabres.

I largely agree with this post (and it's good to see your sparkling smile again!), except for the following:

1. Reading between the lines, it sounds like TP was willing to give Marrone a 1-year extension, but Marrone pushed for 2 -- and TP wasn't willing to get muscled into that much of a commitment to a guy who hadn't proven anything yet.

2. If Marrone doesn't get an NFL HC job -- and it's starting to sound like he won't -- I think most people (probably including him) would conclude that he did not make the right move.

3. As for next year, there is a reasonably good likelihood that they will end up with a better QB than Orton, a better offensive coach than Marrone and 1 or 2 better offensive lineman than what they had this year. Even if the D takes a small step back (although they will get Kiko back, so maybe not), I can see them being better next year (and I've been as pessimistic about the Bills as anyone here).