Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

I'd be shocked if any team picks him up. Career over?

I wouldn't be too surprised. There hasn't been a domestic violence case like this in the NFL before, but there's no shortage of convicted criminals getting second chances in the league either.

I could see Rice getting a shot next offseason.

I'll preface this by stating that I was in the crowd that thought he deserved a VERY stiff penalty originally. However, I do think Rice deserves a second chance in the future. Hitting a woman is NEVER okay. However, this, as far as we know, was a one-time outburst. If he does it again he deserves a lifetime ban and lengthy jail time. Right now, a year off with no pay (unfortunately he'll still get paid) seems fair.

If Ray Rice never plays again it wont be because he hit a woman, it is because he will be 28/29 and hasnt been good since 2012. While this should have happened months ago, good job NFL and Ravens. Its never too late to admit you were wrong (even if you phrase it as you now have new evidence) and do the right thing

How can they say they didn't have a whole lot of evidence, and then all of a sudden this video pops up today out of nowhere?! If they had this before and didn't do the right thing then, that's absolutely ridiculous on the NFL's part. I'm glad they're getting it right at this point though

The NFL has never gotten this issue right. Jim Brown has been arrested a bunch of times for beating up women and you never hear about it -- you just see him on the sidelines like a distinguished alumnus.

At least they've finally been pressured into doing the right thing.

It's amazing how powerful video can be.

The sports industry is nearly as shady as the political industry, if Vick can do jail time and then become a "role model" again then anything is possible in the NFL..... I believe that these "men" should be held to a higher standard..... Like with my job, if I do something that wrong/illegal/unethical then I am under extreme scrutiny. These players make millions of dollars, maybe one strike and you're out depending on the crime, but there are thousands of people lined up willing to take a spot in the league

The sports industry is nearly as shady as the political industry, if Vick can do jail time and then become a "role model" again then anything is possible in the NFL..... I believe that these "men" should be held to a higher standard..... Like with my job, if I do something that wrong/illegal/unethical then I am under extreme scrutiny. These players make millions of dollars, maybe one strike and you're out depending on the crime, but there are thousands of people lined up willing to take a spot in the league

If you did something wrong and your employer was named in the news, chances are you'd be out on your ass. Take that dummy who slid/fell at RWS last year--the instant the News mentioned that he was with Eric Mower and Associates, EMA had to let him go. And his actions, while stupid, are nowhere near the level of Rice's.

Edited by Eleven

The NFL has never gotten this issue right. Jim Brown has been arrested a bunch of times for beating up women and you never hear about it -- you just see him on the sidelines like a distinguished alumnus.

At least they've finally been pressured into doing the right thing.

It's amazing how powerful video can be.

That last part is what really sticks out to me. We may not have known what happened...but we knew what happened. And while there was some outrage, it was an order of magnitude lower than what there is today with the video of the actual act.

I'd love to know what the newly outraged people thought happened. I'm with Ink: we had video of him dragging her limp body, so short of her trying to stab or shoot him, that was enough for me to have today's level of outrage. In fact, today's video is basically exactly how I imagined her getting knocked out when the first video was released.

If you did something wrong and your employer was named in the news, chances are you'd be out on your ass. Take that dummy who slid/fell at RWS last year--the instant the News mentioned that he was with Eric Mower and Associates, EMA had to let him go. And his actions, while stupid, are nowhere near the level of Rice's.

It's true and it sucks, it's the way of the world tho, I just wish there was a zero tolerance policy for these guys once theyre at a pro level

Terry Pegula, owner of NHL's Buffalo Sabres, on verge of buying Bills - league sources - via @SportsCenter http://espn.go.com/

Welcome news.

as long as the sabres [Aud Smell] get Kim I am happy about this.

Thanks, bruh.

So is Ray Rice going to, you know, prison?
That should be the biggest outrage over this whole thing instead of how the NFL handled it. This thing should have been handled before the NFL even had a chance to be involved.
Wouldn't she have to press charges?
No, they can go forward without her, but they would need a much stronger case. That video is about as strong as it gets. Unfortunately, he got the "hey, you play football!" star treatment.
I believe there already was a plea bargain so any prison time is probably out.

Right - there was a plea, and the D.A. had a copy of the elevator footage when the plea deal was offered and made. And, FWIW, D.A.'s around the country routinely offer plea deals that include participation in rehab/diversion programs for arrests involving incidents like this one, and far worse than this one. This is especially so when the abused spouse supports that outcome and the attacker presents as willing to work in the program. Rice's case didn't get the star treatment -- that sort of stuff happens every day in county court systems all over the country.

Right - there was a plea, and the D.A. had a copy of the elevator footage when the plea deal was offered and made. And, FWIW, D.A.'s around the country routinely offer plea deals that include participation in rehab/diversion programs for arrests involving incidents like this one, and far worse than this one. This is especially so when the abused spouse supports that outcome and the attacker presents as willing to work in the program. Rice's case didn't get the star treatment -- that sort of stuff happens every day in county court systems all over the country.

Whether it is the system's fault of this specific prosecutor, this outcome sucks. If even more people than just Ray Rice are getting away with similar acts like that one, these things need to change.

Whether it is the system's fault of this specific prosecutor, this outcome sucks. If even more people than just Ray Rice are getting away with similar acts like that one, these things need to change.

I understand the sentiment.

Domestic violence cases can be incredibly complicated to address as a criminal matter. When you have a couple that genuinely wants another chance -- with both claiming of their own free will that what happened was a horrible mistake -- and they both agree to enter into counseling, etc., I don't think the situation is best served by throwing the book at the guy regardless of what the wife says and denying the couple an opportunity to do better and move on.

Now, if this happens again? Different story. But for most first time offenders, there should be an opportunity to rehabilitate before splitting up a couple, if, in fact, that is what the couple wants.

Oh, and happy Pegula Day, Part II.

quote of the day:

Jenn S Sam26 minutes ago

Yeah, someone who collects losing sports franchises sounds like the best idea for our area.

Some people just like being miserable and/or contrary.

That was a great response though.