Sign Vanek

Doohickie

This is why the summer will be so interesting.

Vanek will be one of the - if not the - best free agent out there.

The Sabres will be one of the - if not the - team with the most money to spend in free agency.

But Vanek and most of the other big free agents won't be great fits for Buffalo.

I see most of Buffalo's moves this summer as not being free agent signings, but being cap-related trades. We might help some other team create space for a big name. I think we will be offering cap relief to teams that need to dump contracts.

And we will be offering picks and prospects in attempts to get emerging players that teams might be having trouble re-signing.

We may overpay someone for veteran leadership, but our free agent pick-ups will probably second-tier types at best.

Edited by dudacek

This is why the summer will be so interesting.

Vanek will be one of the - if not the - best free agent out there.

The Sabres will be one of the - if not the - team with the most money to spend in free agency.

But Vanek and most of the other big free agents won't be great fits for Buffalo.

I see most of Buffalo's moves this summer as not being free agent signings, but being cap-related trades. We might help some other team create space for a big name. I think we will be offering cap relief to teams that need to dump contracts.

And we will be offering picks and prospects in attempts to get emerging players that teams might be having trouble re-signing.

We may overpay someone for veteran leadership, but our free agent pick-ups will probably second-tier types at best.

I agree with you in that I am doubtful that the Sabres will be pursuing high-profile UFAs (although I hope this isn't true regarding Callahan).

However, I'm also skeptical that the Sabres will be able to pull much off in the way of cap-driven trades. The cap is probably going to rise by $6MM or so this summer, which will alleviate most teams' cap issues.

More broadly, I feel like we've been hearing about the cap-driven trade forever, and it never seems to happen (although to be fair part of that can be laid at Darcy's feet). I guess I think that if there is a really good player presenting a cap issue, that guy's team will work out a way to keep that guy and dump a lesser player in order to create the cap space.

Around the NHL -- how many cap-driven trades of good players have occurred in the last few years? I suppose Soupy going to Florida qualifies but I can't think of much else.

I agree with you in that I am doubtful that the Sabres will be pursuing high-profile UFAs (although I hope this isn't true regarding Callahan).

However, I'm also skeptical that the Sabres will be able to pull much off in the way of cap-driven trades. The cap is probably going to rise by $6MM or so this summer, which will alleviate most teams' cap issues.

More broadly, I feel like we've been hearing about the cap-driven trade forever, and it never seems to happen (although to be fair part of that can be laid at Darcy's feet). I guess I think that if there is a really good player presenting a cap issue, that guy's team will work out a way to keep that guy and dump a lesser player in order to create the cap space.

Around the NHL -- how many cap-driven trades of good players have occurred in the last few years? I suppose Soupy going to Florida qualifies but I can't think of much else.

I think Ladd probably got traded out of Chicago because they thought they couldn't sign him. In general though cap only trades don't happen for good players. I could see a team dumping an overpaid guy plus a sweetener to us for relatively nothing but I know that isn't what you meant.

I think Ladd probably got traded out of Chicago because they thought they couldn't sign him. In general though cap only trades don't happen for good players. I could see a team dumping an overpaid guy plus a sweetener to us for relatively nothing but I know that isn't what you meant.

Yeah, this is more what I was going for — like when the Hawks dumped Ladd and Versteeg and Byfuglien and Campbell. You guys are right that the extra $6 million might get in the way, but what won't get in the way is Darcy's unwillingness to move his guys, or a lack of prospects and picks that we can use to get whoever we target. Guys do come on the market for a variety of reasons.

I'm going to check out Capgeek and see where the pressure points are.

This is exactly why the school of thought that trading Miller "will finally end all the talk about Miller." We'll still see crazy threads like this. Vanek is gone. Forever.

Seriously? Some of the threads that have been started here and some of the wacky trade rumors and proposals that have run here and you call this crazy? I don't really see this happening either but I expect that it will be considered.

no vanek no way, or no vanek...unless there's a huge discount...which isn't gonna happen...so :P

Lol pretty much option 1, I was never a huge vanek fan even when he was a streaky scorer.... And with him being one of the hottest free agents (not in looks) lol, he'll command some decent money, money I want spent on New blood

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.