Sign Vanek

Doohickie

Sign Vanek AND Moulson this summer if we're going in that direction.

Hey, why not? As long as we trade Moulson as a rental for a first rounder first, and then re-sign Miller.

1. Buyout Leino.

2. Make three picks in the first round in june

3. Sign Vanek, Moulson, Callahan for around 7m each in UFA.

4a. Trade Stafford + 1st rounder (moulson's?) + 2nd rounder for O'Reilly

4b. If they don't take Stafford, buy out Stafford.

5. Sign Ott.

6. Trade Enroth (for picks, prospect, whatever)

6. Pray it all fits (probably won't).

imagine something like:

Vanek - Hodgson - Callahan

Moulson - O'Reilly - Girgensons

Ennis - Ott - Bennett/Reinhart/Rookie/Grigorenko

Foligno - Konopka - D'Agostini

Myers - Ehrhoff

Weber - McNabb

Pysyk - someone

Zadorov, Ristolainen factor in if they're ready.

Miller

Enroth

wait did i put too much thought into this ... :cry:

Hey if u trade enroth, then he can't possibly be one of our choices for GT ;) ... I don't know if Colorado makrs that trade and idk if we overpay for Mr Callahan.

I am just really curious to see what Mr Schrute has in mind for next season, are we really gonna tank or try and turn it around super quick

Hey if u trade enroth, then he can't possibly be one of our choices for GT ;) ... I don't know if Colorado makrs that trade and idk if we overpay for Mr Callahan.

I am just really curious to see what Mr Schrute has in mind for next season, are we really gonna tank or try and turn it around super quick

I stopped watching most of the games this year. I can't go on a two-year moratorium. If they ice this kind of team next year, I'm canceling my Center Ice. I paid for crap hockey this year; I won't do it two years in a row. I can always watch the Caps here for free.

Edited by wjag

I have a fairly used dollar bill that says Vanek ends up in Vancouver for Booth (salary dump), a #1 and a couple of prospects at the deadline.

I think that makes sense for one last run, but the Canucks have put it out there that they won't be buyers in the rental market this year.

Their best players in the 21- to 28-year-old window are Chris Tanev and Zack Kassian, and they need to rebuild their base of young talent, not rob from it.

I have a fairly used dollar bill that says Vanek ends up in Vancouver for Booth (salary dump), a #1 and a couple of prospects at the deadline.

I could see Ken Holland making a move on Vanek. Detroit needs scoring - and have the grislier vet-types built for the playoffs.

Vanek makes a lot of sense for Detroit.

Vanek isn't coming back end of story. I still think he replaces Heatley at the end of the season. Buffalo actually has a better chance at Heatley since Murray and Danny were both with Ottawa. Not that I want Heatley but Murray is going to make some sort of moves or the fans are gonna be pissed if it's the same squad like this season. I'm all for one more. $hit year if we have a solid shot at McDavid. But that's just me. A player like McDavid doesn't come around that often.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Bring him back. He would be an asset.

Why in the world would he sign with the Sabres?! They reportedly were ready to back up a Brinks truck to his house and he declined.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/28/report-sabres-were-prepared-to-make-vanek-highest-paid-player-in-nhl/

He made faces and stuff. Ridiculous!

Gas?

Vanek isn't coming back end of story. I still think he replaces Heatley at the end of the season. Buffalo actually has a better chance at Heatley since Murray and Danny were both with Ottawa. Not that I want Heatley but Murray is going to make some sort of moves or the fans are gonna be pissed if it's the same squad like this season. I'm all for one more. $hit year if we have a solid shot at McDavid. But that's just me. A player like McDavid doesn't come around that often.

+1...elite, franchise changer. There's no guarantee that the Sabres would be picking first overall but, man, would he look good in a Buffalo sweater. :wub:

Why in the world would he sign with the Sabres?! They reportedly were ready to back up a Brinks truck to his house and he declined.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/28/report-sabres-were-prepared-to-make-vanek-highest-paid-player-in-nhl/

Gas?

+1...elite, franchise changer. There's no guarantee that the Sabres would be picking first overall but, man, would he look good in a Buffalo sweater. :wub:

McDavid would make all this suffering worth while.

Have you seen how bad this team is? They do not have the talent to flip a switch and suddenly be competitive. Nolan does not want a youth movement and would rather they develop in juniors or AHL. So do not expect an influx of youthful talent next year. Veteran free agents are not banging down doors to come to hockey heaven. Acquisitions include D'Agostini, Konopka, and Omark, which is the only signing out of the three that I actually like. To rule out a legitimate chance to finish dead last again next year is more preposterous than someone holding out hope for McDavid.

Edited by SabresFanInRochester

• 1 year later...

Vanek's stock continues to plummet:

http://www.startribune.com/souhan-vanek-s-vanishing-act-a-glaring-flaw-for-wild/302862471/

Once Vanek missed a shot or two and the game became a grind, he disappeared. In an effort sport like hockey, you are never more visible than when you disappear.

Vanek repeatedly carried the puck across the blue line, then stopped, ignoring open ice and his teammates, sometimes turning toward the boards and holding the puck, as if needing to catch his breath. Or because he actually needed to catch his breath.

Sometimes, when the puck was in the defensive zone, he hung out by the far blue line, like a lazy pickup basketball player hoping for a long outlet pass and a free layup. It’s a wonder he expended enough energy to tie his skates, although he may have had someone do that for him.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/07/everyones-ripping-vanek-again/

Vanek has no goals in nine playoff games — obviously not the production the Wild were hoping for when they signed him to a three-year, $19.5 million contract.

“Scoring goals is a big part of winning games and he’s a game breaker,” said GM Chuck Fletcher after convincing the former Gophers star to come home.

Tonight, with the Wild facing elimination, Vanek, the “game breaker,” will skate on the third line with Kyle Brodziak and Nino Niederreiter.

“I’d like to see that line be effective below the top of the circles,” coach Mike Yeo said, per NHL.com. “It’s not a team that has given us a lot of free ice from the top of the circles out, so how we play below the top of the circles, how we get down low, how we move our feet down there, is going to be important.”

Michael Russo @Russostrib

Vanek has stood still inside the blue line half-dozen times after saying 10 times yesterday they need to play their game & get pucks deep

Dave Lozo @DaveLozo

If you told me Thomas Vanek was throwing games with offsides like that, I couldn’t fight you on it. I just couldn’t.

Chad Graff @ChadGraff

#mnwild coach Mike Yeo mentioned he wanted two guys with good, "work ethics" to play with Thomas Vanek.

Holy mackerel I am glad he left TP's money on the table. 

Does anyone still think he's a franchise player?  Or for that matter a player you'd want on the Sabres?

http://www.startribune.com/souhan-vanek-s-vanishing-act-a-glaring-flaw-for-wild/302862471/

Does anyone still think he's a franchise player?  Or for that matter a player you'd want on the Sabres?

To me Vanek is the epitome of a skilled forward who absolutely can't create his own offense. I want nothing to do with him. 

To me Vanek is the epitome of a skilled forward who absolutely can't create his own offense. I want nothing to do with him. 

I'm not disagreeing with you, but there's something to be said for a player that can feed off other good players. Like good centers. Buffalo has a fwe of those in the pipeline, right?

you for reviving this thread (of which I am thoroughly ashamed.)  What was I thinking?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.