Sign Vanek

Doohickie

Why in the world would he sign with the Sabres?! They reportedly were ready to back up a Brinks truck to his house and he declined.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/28/report-sabres-were-prepared-to-make-vanek-highest-paid-player-in-nhl/

Thank god that didn't happen.

And thank god Darcy isn't around to make these ludicrous overpaying moves anymore.

###### you for reviving this thread (of which I am thoroughly ashamed.)  What was I thinking?

You know, if you delete it, it's as if it never happened.

No trace.  Nothing. Zero.  Zilch.

Just padding my post count before the inevitable delete in ... 3 ... 2 ... 1.  

What is is that the stats tell us about top scorers?  They usually 'peak' in production between 26-28 or 29 year old. After that, there is a gradual fall-off...maybe with Vanek that decline is going to be a bit quicker than usual?  Regardless, glad we didn't resign him or Miller.  No matter how good players are, you can't be signing them to big contracts when they are 28-30 years old that will take them to the age of 33-35...UNLESS they are a key piece of a CURRENT cup contender.

Minus the fact that he scores goals, what is there to like about him? I always found him the opposite of charismatic.

I'm drawn to the enigma of the grumpy streaky talented player.  Plus he was our best player for a while.  I don't hold it against Vanek because he should've been the 4th or 5th best player.  

Who do you think traded him?

Because he turned down Darcy's ludicrous offer, obviously he was traded.

Your point?

This may only have been a rumour, but if there was ever a GM in the league that would make Thomas Vanek the highest paid player in the NHL, it was Darcy Regier.

Hence : Thank god he's not around anymore to overpay grossly for his favorites, as this was Regier's MO.

Edited by Kristian

Because he turned down Darcy's ludicrous offer, obviously he was traded.

Your point?

This may only have been a rumour, but if there was ever a GM in the league that would make Thomas Vanek the highest paid player in the NHL, it was Darcy Regier.

Hence : Thank god he's not around anymore to overpay grossly for his favorites, as this was Regier's MO.

There were reports Pegula wanted Ryan Miller to retire a Sabre. We'll have to agree to disagree as to who wanted to make Vanek the highest paid player in the NHL.

There were reports Pegula wanted Ryan Miller to retire a Sabre. We'll have to agree to disagree as to who wanted to make Vanek the highest paid player in the NHL.

But we can agree that Regier was no stranger to overpaying for his own draft picks?

And even if Pegula was willing to overpay for Ryan Miller, wouldn't it be the GM's job to decide whether or not that happens? Darcy was a yes-man, if ever there was one, which is probably how he survived three different ownerships.

I have no problem with that as such, but I have a problem with any Sabres GM who can't build a proper team.

Edited by Kristian

So because Vanek been a bust it means re-signing Miller would have been? Who knows what could have been with Irbe as Miller's goaltending coach.

Vanek was always overrated by Buffalo fans, problems been that they never brought in guys that were better so he didn't have to be the top guy. He isn't a leader or a guy who is going to make others better. He is what he is, a lazy, quiet goalscorer.

I wouldn't sign that lazy player.

Definition of lazy: 

1. averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion; indolent

2. causing idleness or indolence

3. slow moving; sluggish

Prime example: Person known as Thomas Vanek

Picture of lazy:

thomas-vanek-hockey-headshot-photo.jpg

Edited by GoPre

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.