Mr Ryan Miller....

spndnchz

Penguins used the #1 pick to obtain their current starter before they obtained one of the greatest players ever (and have only one cup to show for it)

The Redwings won a bunch of cups with the greatest goaltender to ever play the game, Hasek, and potential HOFer in Osgood

The Blackhawks seem to be the the odd one out here that are doing it without having to have a top tier goalie

In all these cases, goaltending was not the most important factor in these teams winning the Stanley Cup. So you don't have to build from the net out. The 90s are over.

Three years ago this week, could you have imagined we'd be talking about the cap floor right now?

Taro's mention of the kids is interesting. I've said for a while I think he's handing it off to the kids eventually. (And two of the kids aren't really kids.)

Of course not, but the question (and your original question) implies the "small market mentality" meme you've been promulgating, and which has never had a shred of reality associated with it (and which I think you've recently backed off of before reasserting it in this thread).

I think everyone here, including you, already knows this, but I suppose I'll say it anyway: the reason the Sabres are looking at the cap floor has nothing to do with cheapskate tendencies. It's because, though poor GM performance, they've ended up with a terrible roster that does not include any skaters worth high salaries and, once Miller is gone, won't include any players worth high salaries.

They threw $200MM at Parise and Suter, and $30MM at Shane Doan.

They ate DR's and LR's contract extensions.

They replaced DR with 3 people, all of whom are well-known NHL quantities.

They have the biggest scouting staff in the NHL.

They bought out the previous grifter owner of the Amerks to facilitate the AHL development process.

They poured money into the arena, training facilities, etc.

The notion that they are being cheap simply can't be taken seriously.

And they would have to also be guaranteed that Miller is re-signing with them

before the Pens even had a chance at Crosby and Malkin they used a #1 overall pick to acquire their starting Goaltender, how much more can you get to building a team around someone then investing a #1 overall pick in them. The Pens have also extended his contract and given him a raise so it isn't like they have him dirt cheap. Osgood is #10 in all time wins as a goaltender, they went out and traded to acquire Hasek.

it seems to me that theres confusion in this because some feel that by building around, that the goalie has to be the only star player, where the argument is over having a top level goalie to go along with a good team. I don't know of many teams outside of the Sabres and maybe Devils (although they have examples that dispute it) that get by putting a bunch of nobodies in front of a top goalie and expect to win.

And since 2009 Fleury has been a complete failure leading to arguably the most talented team in the league to not even make the Cup finals the last four years, much less win it. Osgood has 400+ wins because he played til almost 40 and on probably one of the best strings of success any team has put together in NHL history. You can't judge a goaltender by wins, his stats were way below average, in fact his BEST save percentage in a season ranks 261st in NHL history. And that's only going back 30 years. He was consistently in the bottom half of the league every year in save percentage.

Teams that build around goaltenders haven't nexessarily been the most successful. The best goaltender can go into a funk at any time, if it happens to be in the playoffs, you're screwed.

Khabibulin

Gerber/Ward

Giguere/Bryzgalov

Fluery

Niemi

Crawford

Doesn't quite look like a Hall of Fame nomination list of goaltender there. Yet they're all got Cup rings in the last 10 years. Hell, Tampa almost got to the Finals in 2011 riding the back of a 42 year old goaltender.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

And since 2009 Fleury has been a complete failure leading to arguably the most talented team in the league to not even make the Cup finals the last four years, much less win it. Osgood has 400+ wins because he played til almost 40 and on probably one of the best strings of success any team has put together in NHL history. You can't judge a goaltender by wins, his stats were way below average, in fact his BEST save percentage in a season ranks 261st in NHL history. And that's only going back 30 years. He was consistently in the bottom half of the league every year in save percentage.

Teams that build around goaltenders haven't nexessarily been the most successful. The best goaltender can go into a funk at any time, if it happens to be in the playoffs, you're screwed.

Khabibulin

Gerber/Ward

Giguere/Bryzgalov

Fluery

Niemi

Crawford

Doesn't quite look like a Hall of Fame nomination list of goaltender there. Yet they're all got Cup rings in the last 10 years. Hell, Tampa almost got to the Finals in 2011 riding the back of a 42 year old goaltender.

Right. Stats and 'analytics" don't tell the whole story.

Schopp proposing Miller to Saint Louis for Halak, Rattie, AND a first: http://www.wgr550.co...-ideas/18481612

I think he's off his rocker. I'd be thrilled just to get Rattie and a third.

(EDIT: Yes, I realize that Halak would be coming back in the trade; he's essentially a zero in this trade though. It's Rattie and a first that would thrill me.)

Edited by Eleven

Schopp proposing Miller to Saint Louis for Halak, Rattie, AND a first: http://www.wgr550.co...-ideas/18481612

(EDIT: Yes, I realize that Halak would be coming back in the trade; he's essentially a zero in this trade though. It's Rattie and a first that would thrill me.)

I would think Buffalo that the deal would involve Buffalo including additional parts to make that deal happen and have to allow the Blues time to work on an extension).

I wouldn't call Halak a zero in this trade, he would be a big piece (if re-signed) and is not a bad goalie. It would give the Sabres an experienced younger #1 goalie for now while they rebuild that can be upgraded later if/when one of the prospects in the system reaches their expected potential

This morning Bucky was saying the Sabres interest is in getting Allen from the Blues, but I believe that they could only get him if a 3rd team (the Wild?) was involved and took Halak (or Elliot)

That's one of the bogus rumors that one of the anonymous twitter accounts said a month or so ago. Glad to see the media falls in that category of twitter rumor mongers.

Also: I think Halak IS a bad goalie. He'll be exposed when he leaves St. Louis.

That's one of the bogus rumors that one of the anonymous twitter accounts said a month or so ago. Glad to see the media falls in that category of twitter rumor mongers.

Also: I think Halak IS a bad goalie. He'll be exposed when he leaves St. Louis.

He was no worse than Carey Price was in Montreal when he was shipped out of there. I don't think he's any worse than Carey Price is now.

Sportsnet radio throwing a surprise team Pittsburgh in the Miller mix and then almost saying no way at the same time because of Shero and Bylsma the two guys who didn't use him in the Olympics.

That would be really interesting to see Miller with them AND have Crosby as a teammate!

I would think Buffalo that the deal would involve Buffalo including additional parts to make that deal happen and have to allow the Blues time to work on an extension).

I wouldn't call Halak a zero in this trade, he would be a big piece (if re-signed) and is not a bad goalie. It would give the Sabres an experienced younger #1 goalie for now while they rebuild that can be upgraded later if/when one of the prospects in the system reaches their expected potential

This morning Bucky was saying the Sabres interest is in getting Allen from the Blues, but I believe that they could only get him if a 3rd team (the Wild?) was involved and took Halak (or Elliot)

Halak's contract ends this season & Schopp didn't mention any extra parts. I just think the whole thing is a little far fetched, but hey, I'd love it if it happened.

Sportsnet radio throwing a surprise team Pittsburgh in the Miller mix and then almost saying no way at the same time because of Shero and Bylsma the two guys who didn't use him in the Olympics.

That would be really interesting to see Miller with them AND have Crosby as a teammate!

Not sure how they make that work cap wise. Vokoun maybe?

They didn't play him because they didn't want him to get hurt. duh

They didn't play him because they didn't want him to get hurt. duh

True dat. BUT don't forget that they ALSO wanted to help Syd and Geno get to the championship game. NO other way to explain keeping Quick & Oshie in the shootout for, what, 37 consecutive attempts. They screwed up w/ Geno but got Syd his birthright reward. /tinfoil cap

:lol:

I wish they would post transcripts of those interviews for the hearing impaired, and, in my case, the patience impaired. I just can't sit through nine minutes of that when I know I could read it in two.

I wish they would post transcripts of those interviews for the hearing impaired, and, in my case, the patience impaired. I just can't sit through nine minutes of that when I know I could read it in two.

No kidding. I *hate* the laziness of just posting a video. I can't watch a video at work, and you're right I could scan through the text in a minute or two.

NHL.com must have heard you: http://www.nhl.com/i...st.htm?id=26629

Maybe the NHL read the transcript of his post.

Edited by MattPie

I watched and am glad I did. My beef is the usual you can't hear what the question was on half of them. If you're a fan you should watch that video. Miller is at ease. His guard is down. He is still thinking but this is a really cool q and a with him. What he says about the city the people and what it means to play in a place where the people are fans and the players are noticed and not invisible. Not every player gets that.

It's the second last one you'll see from him my friend. I encourage you have the patience to watch it. You will be pleased with the reflection of Ryan Miller. I'm very glad that I invested the nine minutes and change which is NOTHING compared to how much I have invested over the years. And I for one am GLAD he will play his final game tomorrow. I will be there one last time to witness him and hopefully rise out of my seat screaming MILLERRRRR!!!! I thought the last game last year was the swan song but I'm positive this is. Watch the video.

Thanks for the memories Ryan, I guess my jersey with your name and number will get creatively framed now. Go win a cup dude.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.