Mr Ryan Miller....

spndnchz

The Devils have built around their star goalie for over a decade.

So it helps to have arguably the best ever at that position. Cool.

If the strategy is to get one of the best goaltenders of all time, and then go from there, that's going to be tough to implement. It's also not what most teams do.

Make it stop. I can't take any more swan songs for Miller. How many times has exited stage right?

It's wierd but I would like to keep Ott and Moulson and trade Miller. I just think a lot of teams don't want to give up a first and a top prospect for a guy that could be a possible rental player. This should be an interesting trade deadline to see which way Murray wants to rebuild this team. I for one at least want one more year of the tank job to at least have a shot at McDavid .

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Based on all the variables at hand , what is realistic to expect to get in return for Ryan Miller. Increasing chatter St. Louis interested, Jonas Hiller a free agent at seasons. end Ducks said to have three young goalies to step in next season. Is it possible Ducks would want to keep Miller from St. Louis thus making a credible offer for Miller thus two teams competing for Miller , Sabres getting better value. ?

Based on all the variables at hand , what is realistic to expect to get in return for Ryan Miller. Increasing chatter St. Louis interested, Jonas Hiller a free agent at seasons. end Ducks said to have three young goalies to step in next season. Is it possible Ducks would want to keep Miller from St. Louis thus making a credible offer for Miller thus two teams competing for Miller , Sabres getting better value. ?

I wouldn't even mind signing Hiller to be starter next year until whatever goalies we have are ready for nhl duty.

Make it stop. I can't take any more swan songs for Miller. How many times has exited stage right?

Seriously. We've been dealing with the "might be his last game" stuff since last trade deadline. I'm just happy that we now (appear to) have a competent hockey department who might actually get a solid return for him.

Or the Penguins, Blackhawks, and Red Wings.

Which contender is built around a star goalie?

None of those teams may have a "star" goalie...but they're not exactly recycling stop gaps in a yearly basis either (although I'm open to the argument that Pittsburgh would be better off doing so :lol: ). They all identified their guy and gave him a significant contract.

I wouldn't even mind signing Hiller to be starter next year until whatever goalies we have are ready for nhl duty.

It said Ducks at present thinking more in terms of dealing Hiller to Edmonton during next draft. Is it possible they wanting to keep Miller away from St. Louis, would do a deal with Edmonton now, with they getting back a number of young assets, from which they could use to trade for Miller. In this scenario perhaps everyone gets what they want. Sabres getting a young position player or pick plus a young goalie from Ducks. You never do know. Could be one possibility.

Seriously. We've been dealing with the "might be his last game" stuff since last trade deadline. I'm just happy that we now (appear to) have a competent hockey department who might actually get a solid return for him.

I also agree we have a solid hockey department but as much as I hated Regier he hasn't done bad with the last two major trades of Pom's and Vanek. We could potentially see two top ten picks this year or next depending on what the Islanders do. He fleeced Snow big time in that Vanek deal.

THN Blog: Ryan Miller will be traded, Sabres fans won’t be happy with the return

By: Rory Boylen on February 26, 2014

We’ve been anticipating a Ryan Miller trade for a year or more, but there was always this faint hope that maybe, possibly, perhaps he would be open to re-signing with Buffalo if the right trade wasn’t there.

But after last night’s media scrum with GM Tim Murray, those faint optimistic hopes were cut off at the knees.

“No interest? I don’t know if he has no interest,” Murray said about the possibility of an extension. Then came the dagger: “I know what I think his first choice would be. I don’t think signing here is his first choice at his age. We’re where we’re at, we’re the 30th place team. But I wouldn’t say he’s got no interest.”

According to Murray, more than two and less than 10 teams have inquired about Miller, which is the GM’s way of saying negotiations are open without actually telling us anything. Asking about Miller and tossing out some names for trade doesn’t necessarily mean a team is excitedly offering the farm for the Sabres goalie.

I totally get it a lot of teams don't want to overpay for a ufa. If I'm a GM the only way I give up a first and a solid prospect if I'm already have people good enough to fill spots and if I feel that player we are trading for will put us over the top. I feel St. Louis should pull off a trade with Buffalo. I'm not sold on Halak or Elliot and I think Miller gives them a solid shot at going far.

Fair point. Are you convinced the Sabres are going to spend that freely again? Maybe I'm just haunted by the specter of Dom and the Rigases.

Anyway, Miller seemed to end the debate with this beauty last night: “I’m going to be 34 this year and let’s be realistic,” Miller admitted after making 36 saves to steal a 3-2 win over Carolina. “There’s only a handful of guys who played effectively longer into their 30s.” He hopes he's one of them.

Overpaying on a long deal for this guy, on this team, is nuts.

I'm not implying that you don't want strong goaltending. "Build from the goal out" is kind of a euphemism for your star player being the goalie, then you button things down and try to win 2-1. Been there, don't want to do that again.

I have yet to see any evidence that the team WON'T spend freely w/ TP as owner. If he sells or passes the team on to the kids, then all bets are off.

Right now, I'm optimistic for the future and am really hoping the Isles picks gets converted by the Sabres into McDavid. If it doesn't, I am still optimistic.

Anybody mention that Kypreos said on WGR this morning that he believes there is less than a 50% chance that Miller gets moved and they're going to try and resign him then trade him later? Same info Lawton had, clearly somebody is leaking bad info on purpose.

Fair point. Are you convinced the Sabres are going to spend that freely again? Maybe I'm just haunted by the specter of Dom and the Rigases.

I have yet to see any evidence that the team WON'T spend freely w/ TP as owner. If he sells or passes the team on to the kids, then all bets are off.

Right now, I'm optimistic for the future and am really hoping the Isles picks gets converted by the Sabres into McDavid. If it doesn't, I am still optimistic.

I don't see how anyone who isn't blinded by WNY fear and loathing of the wealthy could harbor any doubts about TP's willingness to spend. He's probably spent more since owning the team than all previous Sabres owners combined.

I'm not sold on Minny at all. I think Miller makes them better but not better than Chicago, San Jose, Anaheim or Los Angeles.

All that matters is if Minnesota's management thinks Miller makes them better. I think with Backstrom hurting and Harding in doubt because of his MS issues, Minnesota is the place he has the best chance of landing.

I am on the side of those saying we aren't going to get much for Miller WHEN he's moved (I think they move him regardless of return).

The only way I believe that we get Rattie or Allen is probably if we can find a third team that's willing to give St. Louis something for Halak or Elliot. If we can do that then I see us getting something like Allen and a conditional 2nd for Miller.

With Minnesota I think we'll be looking at a prospect like Mario Lucia, Zack Phillips or Erik Haula and a 2nd.

Washington would be something like Chandler Stephenson or Riley Barber and a pick.

I don't see how anyone who isn't blinded by WNY fear and loathing of the wealthy could harbor any doubts about TP's willingness to spend. He's probably spent more since owning the team than all previous Sabres owners combined.

Three years ago this week, could you have imagined we'd be talking about the cap floor right now?

Taro's mention of the kids is interesting. I've said for a while I think he's handing it off to the kids eventually. (And two of the kids aren't really kids.)

Or the Penguins, Blackhawks, and Red Wings.

Which contender is built around a star goalie?

Penguins used the #1 pick to obtain their current starter before they obtained one of the greatest players ever (and have only one cup to show for it)

The Redwings won a bunch of cups with the greatest goaltender to ever play the game, Hasek, and potential HOFer in Osgood

The Blackhawks seem to be the the odd one out here that are doing it without having to have a top tier goalie

I am on the side of those saying we aren't going to get much for Miller WHEN he's moved (I think they move him regardless of return).

The only way I believe that we get Rattie or Allen is probably if we can find a third team that's willing to give St. Louis something for Halak or Elliot. If we can do that then I see us getting something like Allen and a conditional 2nd for Miller.

With Minnesota I think we'll be looking at a prospect like Mario Lucia, Zack Phillips or Erik Haula and a 2nd.

Washington would be something like Chandler Stephenson or Riley Barber and a pick.

I can't see the Blues agreeing to move Allen unless they have an extension signed on the dotted line by Miller.

They are not going to move their current starter, and their #1 of the future in order to get a few months rental of Miller.

I think its highly unlikely the Blues make a move thats going to cost them Allen, and they don't acquire Miller without moving Halak or Elliot in a deal

I'm not sold on Minny at all. I think Miller makes them better but not better than Chicago, San Jose, Anaheim or Los Angeles.

I agree, I think it makes them significantly better, but I don't think it raises them the top of the pact over Chicago or Anaheim like acquiring Miller would do for the Blues

Penguins used the #1 pick to obtain their current starter before they obtained one of the greatest players ever (and have only one cup to show for it)

The Redwings won a bunch of cups with the greatest goaltender to ever play the game, Hasek, and potential HOFer in Osgood

The Blackhawks seem to be the the odd one out here that are doing it without having to have a top tier goalie

That still doesn't negate the fact that those teams aren't built around a goaltender. Osgood was just there, consistent and good enough to win. The Pens certainly aren't built around Fleury whether they used a 1st round pick on him or not.

I can't see the Blues agreeing to move Allen unless they have an extension signed on the dotted line by Miller.

They are not going to move their current starter, and their #1 of the future in order to get a few months rental of Miller.

I think its highly unlikely the Blues make a move thats going to cost them Allen, and they don't acquire Miller without moving Halak or Elliot in a deal

Which is what I just said... There isn't a great chance that we get Allen. If we do it's because we got a third team to give them value for their current starter.

Edited by Tankalicious

Which is what I just said... There isn't a great chance that we get Allen. If we do it's because we got a third team to give them value for their current starter.

And they would have to also be guaranteed that Miller is re-signing with them

That still doesn't negate the fact that those teams aren't built around a goaltender. Osgood was just there, consistent and good enough to win. The Pens certainly aren't built around Fleury whether they used a 1st round pick on him or not.

before the Pens even had a chance at Crosby and Malkin they used a #1 overall pick to acquire their starting Goaltender, how much more can you get to building a team around someone then investing a #1 overall pick in them. The Pens have also extended his contract and given him a raise so it isn't like they have him dirt cheap. Osgood is #10 in all time wins as a goaltender, they went out and traded to acquire Hasek.

it seems to me that theres confusion in this because some feel that by building around, that the goalie has to be the only star player, where the argument is over having a top level goalie to go along with a good team. I don't know of many teams outside of the Sabres and maybe Devils (although they have examples that dispute it) that get by putting a bunch of nobodies in front of a top goalie and expect to win.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.