Mr Ryan Miller....

spndnchz

How can you be so sure it would be guilt-free? Doesn't Murray have to be looking down the road at what a big contract like that would look like when the team might be back in contention? My other thought is that commiting Lundqvist type money, or more, to Miller means you are building the team a certain way — from the goal out. That's a critical strategic decision and not one that should be born out of, "Oh, what the hell, we need a goalie, and we have gobs of money." Making that commitment to Dom made sense; Miller isn't Hasek. He's not Lundqvist. He's not even Enroth. (Joke.)

Depending if there are deals at deadline or not, Buffalo may have the problem of getting to the cap floor next year. So spending money on a front loaded deal might (for someone) be a necessity.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, floating that language out there is telling other teams that;

If they want to sign Miller it will cost them Lundqvist money

Miller doesn't want to re-sign here

The last one is to get GM's to call Murray back, saying it may not cost so much for Miller.

That seems the most logical way to look at this.

It seems Miller's fate is still in question. Having him here long term at Lundqvist money is not something we should be honestly considering. I like Ryan Miller and I think he has been one of the best post lockout (05) goalies. For a team that is 3 years away from any kind post first round playoff experience, I think that we need to exclude him from the future. Take what you can get for him now and move on. It is a loss in all likelihood but occasionally you have to lose.

Unless the Sabres can make the playoffs and win a round there is no reason not to tank next year. It would be foolish not to tank and get a shot at either McDavid and Eichel in the draft. I find it hard to believe that Miller would want to stay with the Sabres but he may not have much choice even in FA.

From Garth - Before Tuesday night’s game, Buffalo Sabres GM Tim Murray spoke candidly and openly about Ryan Miller, Steve Ott and the NHL trade market that is forming for his pending UFAs. Suffice to say, there is a lot of demand in the market for his unrestricted players heading into the NHL trade deadline.

“I don’t know how you quantify which guy’s expressed most interest in, which player, but there’s been interest in a lot of players”.

On re-signing Ryan Miller:

“I mean, its realistic, but its not the route that we’re looking at right now. The route we’re looking at is to get value for him. To put him in a position to succeed and however you want to describe him here in all the years he’s been here, he’s been a good soldier or whatever and I think I’ve said this before, if you look at the teams that I’ve been with in the past that we have done that. Players that treat you right and have played well and hard for you over the years, you try to do what’s best for them as long as it fits with what you’re doing. By trading Ryan to a contender, a good team that that maybe only lacking in his in his position, you’ve certainly not done a disservice to him, and helped the organization in our own right. So, our goal right now I think on both sides is to pursue the proper trade”.

What's the latest on Ryan Miller's status with the Buffalo Sabres?

McKenzie: There have been reports out there that the Sabres are trying to sign Miller. My clear understanding is that the priority and the preference is still to try and get a trade for netminder Ryan Miller and virtually any other player on the roster. General manager Tim Murray is open for business, and there isn't a single untouchable on this team, maybe with the exception of Zemgus Girgensons. The New York Islanders are also conducting an auction for forward Thomas Vanek and defenceman Andrew McDonald. As many as six teams have inquired on Vanek, and there was at least one serious offer that was rejected by the Islanders. At least seven teams have inquired on McDonald but there have been no firm offers at this point.

Dreger: Some are suggesting that maybe there is a three-way deal involving the St. Louis Blues and perhaps the Minnesota Wild where Jaroslav Halak might be included. Maybe Jake Allen, I know the Buffalo Sabres would want to get him as part of package. Again, that the time of year it is and that's the type of rumour mongering that goes on creeping up to the deadline.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444669 Edited by Lanny

What's the latest on Ryan Miller's status with the Buffalo Sabres?

McKenzie: There have been reports out there that the Sabres are trying to sign Miller. My clear understanding is that the priority and the preference is still to try and get a trade for netminder Ryan Miller and virtually any other player on the roster. General manager Tim Murray is open for business, and there isn't a single untouchable on this team, maybe with the exception of Zemgus Girgensons. The New York Islanders are also conducting an auction for forward Thomas Vanek and defenceman Andrew McDonald. As many as six teams have inquired on Vanek, and there was at least one serious offer that was rejected by the Islanders. At least seven teams have inquired on McDonald but there have been no firm offers at this point.

Dreger: Some are suggesting that maybe there is a three-way deal involving the St. Louis Blues and perhaps the Minnesota Wild where Jaroslav Halak might be included. Maybe Jake Allen, I know the Buffalo Sabres would want to get him as part of package. Again, that the time of year it is and that's the type of rumour mongering that goes on creeping up to the deadline.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444669

Edited by Lanny, Today, 08:01 PM.

Looks like we won on the Vanek trade LOL

I don't think there is currently a tank plan for next year. For the record. The offseason is long. You never know what can happen.

So, if we are going to field a good team next year, one that we would be in the fight for a playoff spot, why would the Sabres ever want to trade Miller? For good or bad, he's a playoff-calibre GT and would be coveted by any playoff-hungry team with a GT hole (which we would be without him).

That said, unless he's dead set on leaving via FA, if we want the Sabres to be fighting for a playoff spot, there's very little reason to trade him.

Conversely, if he's traded, I expect a full on tank next season.

Unless the Sabres can make the playoffs and win a round there is no reason not to tank next year. It would be foolish not to tank and get a shot at either McDavid and Eichel in the draft. I find it hard to believe that Miller would want to stay with the Sabres but he may not have much choice even in FA.

Agree. Additionally, Miller is having one if his best seasons stat wise and how has that translated to w's? The Sabres have to pay someone next year just to hit the cap floor. I am sure Miller wants to win now, but $$$$ talks and I am sure the Sabres could/would offer him way more then any other team. They continue to lose next year, he gets his dough, the Sabres still have their one marketable player, and draft McDavid for year after next. Add top pick this year, some FA next year (Kane?). I like it!

I guess what I was saying is that I doubt they have much of a plan about next year yet. It'll almost certainly be another year at the bottom, which I prefer anyways. I'm just saying that the moves they're making now aren't about next year, but the deep future.

So, if we are going to field a good team next year, one that we would be in the fight for a playoff spot, why would the Sabres ever want to trade Miller? For good or bad, he's a playoff-calibre GT and would be coveted by any playoff-hungry team with a GT hole (which we would be without him).

That said, unless he's dead set on leaving via FA, if we want the Sabres to be fighting for a playoff spot, there's very little reason to trade him.

Conversely, if he's traded, I expect a full on tank next season.

Don't expect full tank next year. The roster will be very different and Nolan will be in year two. The goalie while maybe not Miller doesn't mean he won't at least be capable. And whatever gained by trading him helps in other places on the team.

Don't expect full tank next year. The roster will be very different and Nolan will be in year two. The goalie while maybe not Miller doesn't mean he won't at least be capable. And whatever gained by trading him helps in other places on the team.

There's a decent chance that a lot of pieces that we acquire at the deadline won't help us next year.

We are going to be bad next year. With Ryan we could be slightly less so. We are still going to have a very young defense core, young group of forwards and we have been absolutely terrible this season. We need at least 2 top 6 forwards, 1-2 top 6 defenders depending on how you feel about certain guys and that would be to become a crappy bubble playoff team. Ryan Miller is leaving and it sucks but I hope he does well elsewhere.

How can you be so sure it would be guilt-free? Doesn't Murray have to be looking down the road at what a big contract like that would look like when the team might be back in contention? My other thought is that commiting Lundqvist type money, or more, to Miller means you are building the team a certain way — from the goal out. That's a critical strategic decision and not one that should be born out of, "Oh, what the hell, we need a goalie, and we have gobs of money." Making that commitment to Dom made sense; Miller isn't Hasek. He's not Lundqvist. He's not even Enroth. (Joke.)

Why is paying Miller Lundy-ish money necessarily 'building from the goal out?' The cap is going to continue to go up every year. Miller (or any top tier goalie) isn't going to keep a team from having 2 top quality centers. Granted it was non-salary capped, but the '80's & '90's Eulers always had solid to excellent goaltending and NOBODY ever said that team was built from the goalie out.

Why is paying Miller Lundy-ish money necessarily 'building from the goal out?' The cap is going to continue to go up every year. Miller (or any top tier goalie) isn't going to keep a team from having 2 top quality centers. Granted it was non-salary capped, but the '80's & '90's Eulers always had solid to excellent goaltending and NOBODY ever said that team was built from the goalie out.

Yeah, He's right, its been a proven fact that successful teams don't build from the goalie out. Just ask the Leafs, Islanders, Oilers, and Flyers

Fair point. Are you convinced the Sabres are going to spend that freely again? Maybe I'm just haunted by the specter of Dom and the Rigases.

Anyway, Miller seemed to end the debate with this beauty last night: “I’m going to be 34 this year and let’s be realistic,” Miller admitted after making 36 saves to steal a 3-2 win over Carolina. “There’s only a handful of guys who played effectively longer into their 30s.” He hopes he's one of them.

Overpaying on a long deal for this guy, on this team, is nuts.

Yeah, He's right, its been a proven fact that successful teams don't build from the goalie out. Just ask the Leafs, Islanders, Oilers, and Flyers

I'm not implying that you don't want strong goaltending. "Build from the goal out" is kind of a euphemism for your star player being the goalie, then you button things down and try to win 2-1. Been there, don't want to do that again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.