Mr Ryan Miller....

spndnchz

That is the weird thing. The Kings keep trading their top goalies for guys, so teams needing goalies are being limited. Any ideas who might be left..\

Scrivens to Edmonton... Dubnyk to Predators... Would love to trade Miller for a top forward and a pick, but I am still not sure that is the right move for this team. If possible I think the Sabres should resign... but who knows....

Suggestion #1: Miller to Philly with retained salary for Laughton or Cousins, Meszaros, and their first. That team gets really scary with a good goalie. Probably isn't on the 10-team list. Meszaros is a cap play for the flyers.

Suggestion #2: Sign him to a big deal if he'll take it, we won't have cap issues for the next 2-3 years, and by 2019, the cap will probably be well over $100M.

Suggestion #1: Miller to Philly with retained salary for Laughton or Cousins, Meszaros, and their first. That team gets really scary with a good goalie. Probably isn't on the 10-team list. Meszaros is a cap play for the flyers.

Suggestion #2: Sign him to a big deal if he'll take it, we won't have cap issues for the next 2-3 years, and by 2019, the cap will probably be well over $100M.

I'd sign up for Suggestion #1 in a heartbeat but I don't think the market is strong enough for that.

Miller is getting later in his career and has clearly stated he wants to play for a contender. He has not signed an extension with us yet and sold his Buffalo residence last year. He has shown no indication (no media reports or quotes that I'm aware of) saying he is commited to staying. So therefore you have to trade him IMO. I would rather a good prospect but may have to take a 1st only. Going back to Suggestion #1, I'd take Scott Laughton period if that's all that was available. Other than the Flyers, Capitals and possibly Blues who else would be interested in Miller?

Trade him. Any of the following:

Ryan Miller to St. Louis for Max Gardiner (Penn State center), Dmitrij Jaskin OR Ty Rattie and a first rounder in any of the next two drafts. Or two of those prospects together.

Ryan Miller to Washington for Andre Burakovsky and a second, or Zach Sanford or Chandler Stephenson and a first.

Ryan Miller to Florida for Drew Shore or Quinton Howden and a 2nd round pick.

Edited by Tankalicious

I would only trade Miller for a top prospect and/or a first-rounder. If it's just a desultory 2nd-rounder from a good team, I'd rather keep him because I think doing so *slightly* increases the odds of re-signing him.

I think that no matter what happens in the next couple of months, he's decided to go to UFA and see what his options are. If a real contender is willing to give him a good contract, he'll probably take it -- but if not I think he's more likely to re-sign with the Sabres than to go to another non-contender.

Finally, I would like to see the Sabres re-sign him. I think it will take something like 5 years x 7.5MM and I am fine with that. I think he'll be a high-end #1 goalie for most if not all of that term and having him here will greatly facilitate the rebuild. I don't know that Enroth can't Hackett (heh), but I don't know whether he can, either, and there is certainly a reasonable likelihood that he crashes and burns. Either way, I would think that if Miller leaves the Sabres will be looking for a veteran goalie to compete with Enroth for the job next year.

I've gone back and forth on what I want for the team's future with Miller. I've landed that the only negatives to keeping him around are the potential for compromising the tank, and his age mismatch with the new core (mostly not even drafted yet). The possibility of goalie purgatory (like the Bills QB purgatory) is way worse than those drawbacks.

My best-case scenario: Trade him for assets then re-sign him in the summer (highly unlikely).

My best-case realistic scenario: Re-sign him for whatever it takes and groom someone else for as smooth a transition as possible when Miller's done.

I would only trade Miller for a top prospect and/or a first-rounder. If it's just a desultory 2nd-rounder from a good team, I'd rather keep him because I think doing so *slightly* increases the odds of re-signing him.

I think that no matter what happens in the next couple of months, he's decided to go to UFA and see what his options are. If a real contender is willing to give him a good contract, he'll probably take it -- but if not I think he's more likely to re-sign with the Sabres than to go to another non-contender.

Finally, I would like to see the Sabres re-sign him. I think it will take something like 5 years x 7.5MM and I am fine with that. I think he'll be a high-end #1 goalie for most if not all of that term and having him here will greatly facilitate the rebuild. I don't know that Enroth can't Hackett (heh), but I don't know whether he can, either, and there is certainly a reasonable likelihood that he crashes and burns. Either way, I would think that if Miller leaves the Sabres will be looking for a veteran goalie to compete with Enroth for the job next year.

Agreed on all counts. The market on Miller will most definitely heat up close to the deadline, there is no way he goes for anything less than a first/prospect.

I've gone back and forth on what I want for the team's future with Miller. I've landed that the only negatives to keeping him around are the potential for compromising the tank, and his age mismatch with the new core (mostly not even drafted yet). The possibility of goalie purgatory (like the Bills QB purgatory) is way worse than those drawbacks.

My best-case scenario: Trade him for assets then re-sign him in the summer (highly unlikely).

My best-case realistic scenario: Re-sign him for whatever it takes and groom someone else for as smooth a transition as possible when Miller's done.

Luckily the goalie position isn't half as important as the QB position. Your chances aren't changed much between a good and great goaltender. Just need a guy that can stay cool during the postseason and then the right system/players in front of him.

Luckily the goalie position isn't half as important as the QB position. Your chances aren't changed much between a good and great goaltender. Just need a guy that can stay cool during the postseason and then the right system/players in front of him.

I don't want to come out on the other side of this years-long tank "effort" to become the Flyers.

I think He'll be looking for term, slightly more than $. He'll turn 34 this summer, and I think someone will be willing to give him a 6 or 7 year deal that will take him until he's 39 or 40. He doesn't play a physically demanding style, so his longevity may be quite good. how would you feel about a 7yr $7.2M-$7.5M contract?

I think He'll be looking for term, slightly more than $. He'll turn 34 this summer, and I think someone will be willing to give him a 6 or 7 year deal that will take him until he's 39 or 40. He doesn't play a physically demanding style, so his longevity may be quite good. how would you feel about a 7yr $7.2M-$7.5M contract?

I think that if he were demanding 7 years, I would pass.

A 5-year extension would end just before he turns 39 -- i.e. he would be 38 during his last season and then turn 39 that summer. Lundqvist's extension ends just after Lundy turns 39 -- i.e. he turns 39 in March of that season. So a 5-year deal is the closest comparable to Lundy's in terms of age.

I suppose if it took a 6-year term to get Miller signed, I would do it, but at that point you have to be prudent and plan on Miller going downhill during at least the last year of the deal, and likely 2 years. 7 years is too much.

Miller has to be traded.

Bringing him back next year for a full season with Nolan stops the tank.

I can't go into next season planning on a tank. Life is too short.

We have to live. We have to look forward to the games and enjoy them.

We can't just write off another year in the hope that some 18-year-old (who will probably the 4th or 5th pick in the draft) will someday lead us to the promised land.

Give me Nolan, Miller, Callahan, another couple of good forwards they find somewhere this summer and continued development from Myers and the rest of the D and I'll look forward to the playoffs next year.

I can't go into next season planning on a tank. Life is too short.

We have to live. We have to look forward to the games and enjoy them.

We can't just write off another year in the hope that some 18-year-old (who will probably the 4th or 5th pick in the draft) will someday lead us to the promised land.

Give me Nolan, Miller, Callahan, another couple of good forwards they find somewhere this summer and continued development from Myers and the rest of the D and I'll look forward to the playoffs next year.

You know I was almost there. But then it hit me that the Sabres are almost competitive with a line-up of Matt D'Agostinis.

And if Miller stays, we make a few judicious acquisitions and a few of our kids come on, we could challenge for a playoff spot with our most talented forward being Cody Hodgson.

And we will fool ourselves into climbing back on to the almost good enough Darcy Regier cycle.

I want a cup. We need more elite talent. And we aren't going to get it picking 11.

Let's make this suffering worth something.

Edited by dudacek

It seems both player and team the most desired route is to find agreement in contract extension , rather than go to free agency. Hockey does not have the mad money that baseball has for instance. Got to think by now team would be aware of what Miller intent would be regarding free agency and it not in either player or team to make this public knowledge. New general manager has stated he expects team after two more drafts it reasonable to expect a substantially improved team, he not of the mind of a five year re build of some such thing. 5 yrs @ $7.5 would seem the figure he going to expect and get, particularly if he has success in Olympics. A Olympic hero obviously a large marketing feature for any team. This the crap shoot for Miller, success he writes his own ticket failure and the negatives will come. Providing his person does work in the room, great goalies do not grow on trees, it would seem reasonable to ascertain if he want to sign or no and get the process moving at the most beneficial time for team.

You know I was almost there. But then it hit me that the Sabres are almost competitive with a line-up of Matt D'Agostinis.

And if Miller stays, we make a few judicious acquisitions and a few of our kids come on, we could challenge for a playoff spot with our most talented forward being Cody Hodgson.

And we will fool ourselves into climbing back on to the almost good enough Darcy Regier cycle.

I want a cup. We need more elite talent. And we aren't going to get it picking 11.

Let's make this suffering worth something.

The suffering brought an end to the DR regime and the beginning of the PLF/TN/CP/TM era. Hopefully that will be the real payoff.

They can put a contender together without another year like this one.

And, FWIW, it sounds like they want to keep Miller.

Not afraid of going into the corners, no matter who he's posting against. Posts big in big threads.

He's got soft, even gentle, hands but sharp elbows. You'd better count your teeth after running into him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.