Mr Ryan Miller....

spndnchz

It's just ridiculous and makes no sense. It is trolling in my opinion. Miller has no shutouts he is therefore not good LOL.

That's what you're saying. I'm saying that it may very well be an indicator that his performance is in decline, as it inevitably will with age. At 34 he's no spring chicken. In my opinion, I don't think he's quite as sharp as he was 4 years ago. I also think it's possible the American Olympic coaching staff thought similarly, that he's not the goalie he was 3 or 4 seasons ago - hence he gave the overwhelming majority of starts to Quick.

That's what you're saying. I'm saying that it may very well be an indicator that his performance is in decline, as it inevitably will with age. At 34 he's no spring chicken. In my opinion, I don't think he's quite as sharp as he was 4 years ago. I also think it's possible the American Olympic coaching staff thought similarly, that he's not the goalie he was 3 or 4 seasons ago - hence he gave the overwhelming majority of starts to Quick.

Or they just thought quick was better.

Or they just thought quick was better.

Not better as much as the better choice. Most of the best scorers in the Olympic tourney play in the East, or have played East.

Crosby,MLkin, Ovie, Alfie, all know Miller better than Quick.

when you are not a Favorite, the less known keeper is often an advantage in a Tourney.

I don't think there was really a bad choice though.

Miller had six shutouts 2 years ago.

So your saying holtby who has been near the too if the league in shutouts the past couple of years has been better than miller?

What exactly do you think shutouts predict? How good a season is? How good a goalie is?

Or do you just use it to cherry pick that stat because miller hasn't had any the past couple years playing behind a god awful defense....

Most miller haters can't say any excuse this year because he's played great. All they can say is it is an olympic so it doesn't count. But here you are, disregarding every stat people use to judge goalies, and instead you find the one stat that doesn't back up your idea, and continue to bring it up in every thread.

If you look at any goalies career stats you'll notice shutouts a random each year with great variance. It's because they depend in so much. No one can argue without shutout logic because it doesn't make sense. Miller is having a great year, just stop

Edited by Numark

Not better as much as the better choice. Most of the best scorers in the Olympic tourney play in the East, or have played East.

Crosby,MLkin, Ovie, Alfie, all know Miller better than Quick.

when you are not a Favorite, the less known keeper is often an advantage in a Tourney.

I don't think there was really a bad choice though.

Yep.

It's taking every fiber of my being to be cordial in my response. You're wrong. You're wrong about this statement, about the "value" of shutouts, and about the importance of plus/minus that you tout all the time. Just stop with statistics.

Shutouts aren't valued? The league keeps them as a stat. Fans get excited when one is near. Media won't mention it out of fear of bad juju. Goalies who get a lot of shutouts get into their opponents' head. They have a reputation. They, uh, dominate. I can guarantee that agents use shutouts to try and get their clients more money; I can guarantee they'd be a part of an arbitration hearing, from either side. They have value. Come on.

As for the statement about what if Miller had seven shutouts this season? You know damned well it would be brought up left and right by his supporters.

Shutouts aren't valued? The league keeps them as a stat. Fans get excited when one is near. Media won't mention it out of fear of bad juju. Goalies who get a lot of shutouts get into their opponents' head. They have a reputation. They, uh, dominate. I can guarantee that agents use shutouts to try and get their clients more money; I can guarantee they'd be a part of an arbitration hearing, from either side. They have value. Come on.

As for the statement about what if Miller had seven shutouts this season? You know damned well it would be brought up left and right by his supporters.

The only time a shutout has tangible value is when a team wins 1-0. How many shutouts happen in that context? And my point was that if you're judging a goaltender on getting shutouts, you're doing it terribly wrong. Unless, of course, you think Chris Mason is a superstar. After all, he had 9 shutouts his rookie year. All bow before the awesomeness of Chris Mason!

To your second point, no, I don't know that. And neither do you. But if they did, I'd ridicule that argument just as I ridicule the argument that lack of shutouts is some sort of proof of Miller's demise and/or averageness.

Wawrow says he's gotta source inside: http://sports.yahoo....49542--nhl.html

A person familiar with discussions told The Associated Press that general manager Tim Murray continues to pursue offers for Miller with the intention of trading him by next week.

''Tim is testing the waters as hard as he can,'' the person said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because Murray declined to speak to reporters Monday.

The person said the team's first option is trading Miller, who is in the final year of his contract and eligible to become an unrestricted free agent.

###### is gonna go down.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Wawrow says he's gotta source inside: http://sports.yahoo....49542--nhl.html

###### is gonna go down.

Gibby must have been sipping the Duty Free vodkies from Sochi and felt bad for the old friend....

This is almost like the report on the Bills....do the Old Guard sources get the scoop, or will Ted and Bob Mac counter with the details 45 minutes before the trade???.....

I suppose the only shred of sort-of news is the last line, that trading Miller is the priority over signing him.

We knew TM would shop Miller around, but there were some in the organization that were saying that they would like to see Miller stay. For example, Ted Nolan in that article.

Well I think a lot of people "would like" for Miler to stay, but most, if not all, understand that's not realistic.

I move him for the first good deal that gets offered. If nothing gets offered and you're sitting at the deadline with an offer of a first rounder or even a second rounder then just take it. Don't lose him for nothing.

Brian Lawton (@brianlawton9) tweeted at 10:25pm - 24 Feb 14:

I am hearing that it is not likely that Ryan Miller will be traded by the Deadline and Sabres are turning attention towards re signing him.

Brian Lawton (@brianlawton9) tweeted at 10:28pm - 24 Feb 14:

The school of thought on Miller @BuffaloSabres is that a deal in the Lundqvist range now would allow team to trade him in a better market.

Brian Lawton (@brianlawton9) tweeted at 10:30pm - 24 Feb 14:

The goalie market is thin. @StLouisBlues r the only serious possibility for Miller trade and everyone knows it driving value down.

For those wondering, Lawton was the GM of the Lightning for two years and likely has actual connections.

Those tweets still don't make sense. I doubt there's much to it, at all. He said that they are going to resign him so they can trade him when there's a better market? Yea, Miller will totally sign on the dotted line for that.

If anybody was going to trade for miller with a huge contract then they'd sign him to it themselves.

And if Garrioch gets hell for throwing ###### at the wall, Lawton should get the same.

Edited by Tankalicious

Those tweets still don't make sense. I doubt there's much to it, at all. He said that they are going to resign him so they can trade him when there's a better market? Yea, Miller will totally sign on the dotted line for that.

If anybody was going to trade for miller with a huge contract then they'd sign him to it themselves.

And if Garrioch gets hell for throwing ###### at the wall, Lawton should get the same.

Garrioch is a proven buffoon. Couldn't Lawton mean the Sabres would move him a year or two down the line when there is a goalie market?

Garrioch is a proven buffoon. Couldn't Lawton mean the Sabres would move him a year or two down the line when there is a goalie market?

He might, but that makes still makes very little sense. Miller certainly wouldn't sign an extension prior to free agency is the Sabres pitch was that they want to give him a deal and then move him shortly.

The pitch would basically be to tell Miller that they will give him the money and term he wants since they know no other team will give it to him, and then they will move him when they find a team that actually is willing to pay him that kind of money.

It'd be a stupid move for Miller and an extremely stupid move for the Sabres. You never sign a contract with a veteran with a future trade in mind. You do that with young guys and restricted free agents.

Brian Lawton (@brianlawton9) tweeted at 10:25pm - 24 Feb 14:

I am hearing that it is not likely that Ryan Miller will be traded by the Deadline and Sabres are turning attention towards re signing him.

Brian Lawton (@brianlawton9) tweeted at 10:28pm - 24 Feb 14:

The school of thought on Miller @BuffaloSabres is that a deal in the Lundqvist range now would allow team to trade him in a better market.

Brian Lawton (@brianlawton9) tweeted at 10:30pm - 24 Feb 14:

The goalie market is thin. @StLouisBlues r the only serious possibility for Miller trade and everyone knows it driving value down.

For those wondering, Lawton was the GM of the Lightning for two years and likely has actual connections.

Not saying this dude is credible, but he also co-founded Octagon sports agency with Mike Liut, who is Ryan Miller's agent. I don't see any reason for Lawton to make anything up?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.