Hired: Tim Murray, GM and Craig Patrick, Advisor

That Aud Smell

In the next few years, there will be spurts where we love Tim and times when we curse him.

But it will be a minimum of three years before we can objectively start to pass judgement.

Considering that by the trade deadline we will have stripped the club down to expansion levels, five years is probably more fair.

Anything we feel now is purely a gut reaction to what he's said and how he's said it, mixed with our personal optimism/pessimism meters.

You are absolutely right about change for the sake of change, except in this instance. Regier was going no place and had no chance of going any place. Making a change was the only way out of that mess. It might turn out worse, it might turn out better but a change had to be made. I find Murray as GM interesting and with Patrick and Lafontaine along with him, I think the Sabres have a good chance to be on the right track.

I like the tact Murray has taken up to this point. He came in took his time and looked around, hopefully has created a plan and will begin executing the plan leading up to the deadline. I would be far more worried if he had come in and made significant moves immediately. He would then be in a ready, fire, aim mode and that almost never ends well. The key evaluation will be in 3-4 years after two drafts and two free agency periods and some of the current crop of youngsters have possibly moved up to the NHL. Then we will know if Murray was the right guy or not. Even if Murray is in over his head the Sabres have Patrick and Lafontaine to whisper advice in his ear.

Given the triumvirate of Murray, Patrick and Lafontaine I can't think of too many, if any, scenarios where the Sabres would be better off.

Caveat up front: I'm pretty vocal as the number 1 fan of the anti-TM fan club.

Change for the sake of change does not always beget positive change. Things can go sideways or even backwards. Murray is about as exciting to me as throwing cucumbers into a salad.

Change for the sake of change does not always beget positive change. Things can go sideways or even backwards. Murray is about as exciting to me as throwing cucumbers into a salad.

this is ridiculous. What reason do you have for being anti Tm? This makes me want to smash my head against the wall

You are absolutely right about change for the sake of change, except in this instance. Regier was going no place and had no chance of going any place. Making a change was the only way out of that mess. It might turn out worse, it might turn out better but a change had to be made. I find Murray as GM interesting and with Patrick and Lafontaine along with him, I think the Sabres have a good chance to be on the right track.

I like the tact Murray has taken up to this point. He came in took his time and looked around, hopefully has created a plan and will begin executing the plan leading up to the deadline. I would be far more worried if he had come in and made significant moves immediately. He would then be in a ready, fire, aim mode and that almost never ends well. The key evaluation will be in 3-4 years after two drafts and two free agency periods and some of the current crop of youngsters have possibly moved up to the NHL. Then we will know if Murray was the right guy or not. Even if Murray is in over his head the Sabres have Patrick and Lafontaine to whisper advice in his ear.

Given the triumvirate of Murray, Patrick and Lafontaine I can't think of too many, if any, scenarios where the Sabres would be better off.

I agree. Good post.

So far, nothing. Murray has been interviewed and that's the only thing we can go by with this man. I'm starting to suspect that he's a doughier, gum chewing version of Darcy, always with the standoffish double talk. I'm not sure he has the flair to pull off the kind of trades Regier pulled off these last few years, since he himself admitted, he hasn't developed a trusted circle of trading partners yet. Darcy's problem was he could pull off amazing trades but it never amounted to anything. Remember, Murray is a rookie GM we're talking about here. I wouldn't expect too much.

Btw my prediction: Regier replaces Snow.

http://video.sabres....vid=DL|BUF|home

Your last sentence is the only one that I agree with.

Murray was hired one month ago -- exactly one month ago today based on when this thread was started. And he hasn't made any moves yet.

I love me some skepticism but there's absolutely no reason to be down on him yet. One month from today -- after the trade deadline -- we'll have some stuff to analyze. Four months after that -- after the draft -- we'll have more.

But right now all we're doing is listening super hard to his interviews to identify secret messages and meanings behind what he's saying.

TM's been talking a good player evaluation and drafting game, and saying the right things when it comes to maximizing return for UFAs. This keeps me optimistic, because these are important concepts for our historical franchise turnaround. As for big moves, it's been quiet, mostly because there hasn't been a definitive, time-critical need to make moves before the deadline when assets are projected to garner more return. Therefore:

One month performance review for Tim Murray: Cautious Optimism

We are and were the last place team in the league with a record low in pts per game, goals per game and almost every statistical category possible... there is no way to go further backwards than we are now. Hate on Murray but I would be more pissed at the guy if he had made a move immediately. He seems smart and clever, two things that don't always go together. I think he knows exactly what he can get at the deadline and he knows exactly what he wants. His patience is a good thing.

Being down on Murray because he hasn't made a significant move yet is a wholly unreasonable position. Not liking the hire is fine, but trying to spin the lack of a major move as anything other than an example of how the NHL works is absurd.

Completely agree.

wjag, I think you know how I feel about change for the sake of change. I'm not sure what to make of Murray yet, either.

I'm not sure anyone can argue this at this point. I do think it is a little crazy to be drawing any kind of conclusions yet. It will be a good two years before anyone really knows if this new front office was a stroke of genius or just a PR move.

I was the charter member of the anti-Pegula club. It tooks me six minutes to fall in love with the guy and seconds to start dislking him. Three years on, I feel almost totally vindicated. So keep your head up.

Based on what? His resume? Are you seriously prepared to give him 5-7 years?

I am prepared to give him a chance. I am sick and tired of everything being doom and gloom. He has a shot and I am prepared to wait 5-7yrs for a cup.

What are you basing your negativity on? Nothing that's what. Woo is the Buffalo sports fan. Enough self loathing. We suck right now. We are the worst team in entire NHL. That means we get to trade off guys and draft new faces. Kids like Zadorov and Girgensons. Players who can change the direction of this team for the better. I believe this team will be better next year. I think they will be even better the year after that.

Why do I think that? What am I basing it in? I am basing it on the faith that my team will be good enough, that one year they will reward all the sweat, tears, anger, love, and emotion I have poured into them. That finally after over 40years of them sucking for which I know of but 12, they will emerge victorious. It won't be easy and they may fail but at least now I feel as if we have a chance. That is what I am basing it on, faith that tomorrow will be better. Faith that the hockey gods have not forsaken us. Faith that when it finally happens it will be one of the greatest moments in sports history. Faith, that there is good in the world if you are but willing seek it out and fight for it. Faith that a group of kids now, will as men raise the Stanley Cup above their heads, while wearing blue n gold on their shoulder.

I am prepared to give him a chance. I am sick and tired of everything being doom and gloom. He has a shot and I am prepared to wait 5-7yrs for a cup.

What are you basing your negativity on? Nothing that's what. Woo is the Buffalo sports fan. Enough self loathing. We suck right now. We are the worst team in entire NHL. That means we get to trade off guys and draft new faces. Kids like Zadorov and Girgensons. Players who can change the direction of this team for the better. I believe this team will be better next year. I think they will be even better the year after that.

Why do I think that? What am I basing it in? I am basing it on the faith that my team will be good enough, that one year they will reward all the sweat, tears, anger, love, and emotion I have poured into them. That finally after over 40years of them sucking for which I know of but 12, they will emerge victorious. It won't be easy and they may fail but at least now I feel as if we have a chance. That is what I am basing it on, faith that tomorrow will be better. Faith that the hockey gods have not forsaken us. Faith that when it finally happens it will be one of the greatest moments in sports history. Faith, that there is good in the world if you are but willing seek it out and fight for it. Faith that a group of kids now, will as men raise the Stanley Cup above their heads, while wearing blue n gold on their shoulder.

Soooo...... religion? :P

/thread bleed

It is not doom and gloom with me. I just don't think he was the best choice. Can't I believe that?

My issue is his thin resume. I thought there were more candidates out there. He has been AGM in Ottawa during the decline from their Stanley Cup FInals year through now. They have not exactly been a model franchise during that period and they are in a rebuild mode. Someone posted somewhere today that he doesn't have rapport with the GMs like Regier did. How is that possible if you have been an AGM for 7 years?

If you want to look at a 7 year window, look at Ottawa for the last seven years.

It's just conversation folks on a message board. I certainly hope folks don't internalize this stuff.

Edited by wjag

It is not doom and gloom with me. I just don't think he was the best choice. Can't I believe that?

My issue is his thin resume. I thought there were more candidates out there. He has been AGM in Ottawa during the decline from their Stanley Cup FInals year through now. They have not exactly been a model franchise during that period and they are in a rebuild mode. Someone posted somewhere today that he doesn't have rapport with the GMs like Regier did. How is that possible if you have been an AGM for 7 years?

If you want to look at a 7 year window, look at Ottawa for the last seven years.

It's just conversation folks on a message board. I certainly hope folks don't internalize this stuff.

100% legitimate and I had the same concerns.

However, I like what I've heard from his interviews and I especially like the 3-headed approach with PLF and CP. And I like Nolan.

And it's way too early for an interim grade IMHO. Let's see where we are after the deadline.

100% legitimate and I had the same concerns.

However, I like what I've heard from his interviews and I especially like the 3-headed approach with PLF and CP. And I like Nolan.

And it's way too early for an interim grade IMHO. Let's see where we are after the deadline.

As to your second point, remember that Murray didn't hire Nolan, and that until Nolan has a contract, their interests are divergent.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.