Hired: Tim Murray, GM and Craig Patrick, Advisor

That Aud Smell

I'm liking everything I'm hearing from TM so far just like everyone else, but everyone knows the honeymoon is over at the deadline. Half the posters here are going to hate the deals that get done, and there will be extra consternation over the deals that don't get done.

I'm wondering why we haven't seen him "do" anything yet, to be honest. I like what I hear, too, but, and I know it's early, but I'd like to see "something" out of the guy other than good quotes to reporters.

I'm surprised you're only going back that far. For me everything started falling apart in 2007. Losing to the Senators in 5 games was it. The dream was dead.

Offseason 2006.

Oh, hell, who are we kidding. It started going downhill after they beat the Pens in their inaugural game.

I like Ted Nolan and the players have said they like him and he's made a huge difference in their approach to playing the game. They're feeling better about themselves, they understand their roles, blah blah blah.

But they're still losing almost all the time. I wonder how much difference Nolan has made with this team. If you project RR's record out to this point of the season, it would probably be similar or the same.

Why can't the Sabres ever get a replacement coach who completely turns the team around immediately? Are the players that flawed/mismatched for each other that a true injection of leadership has no effect in the standings?

(Note: we're still dead last.)

I'm wondering why we haven't seen him "do" anything yet, to be honest. I like what I hear, too, but, and I know it's early, but I'd like to see "something" out of the guy other than good quotes to reporters.

I think Murray hasn't got a trade he likes yet so he waits. Remembere whe. Pegula took of and we got brad boxes... Sometimes holding out is good. Not sure this is one of those times but I can be patient for another month while Tim Murray works the phones and sets things up for the deadline if need be.

Also, Tim Murray knows this year is a waste and I think will spend his time evaluating his ppl and players and then be very active around the draft and ufa.

Offseason 2006.

Oh, hell, who are we kidding. It started going downhill after they beat the Pens in their inaugural game.

I really don't want to site the offseason of 06 because I never felt any impending doom at that point. But in 2007 as they coasted to a President's trophy at the end of the season, I knew something was wrong. As soon as they knew they had the league won they took their foot off the gas. We should have blown that team up top to bottom right then and there. But that's hindsight.

I like Ted Nolan and the players have said they like him and he's made a huge difference in their approach to playing the game. They're feeling better about themselves, they understand their roles, blah blah blah.

But they're still losing almost all the time. I wonder how much difference Nolan has made with this team. If you project RR's record out to this point of the season, it would probably be similar or the same.

Why can't the Sabres ever get a replacement coach who completely turns the team around immediately? Are the players that flawed/mismatched for each other that a true injection of leadership has no effect in the standings?

It's combination of coaching and players. Nolan is not a great coach but he's not bad. However, the overall talent on this roster is not even close to NHL level.

There is next to no talent on this team. No coach in the world can tell Weber or Mcbain "don't do that" in a different voice such that Crosby or Malkin don't score.

Edited by Assquatch

Are the players that flawed/mismatched for each other that a true injection of leadership has no effect in the standings?

Definitely yes. The fuel for the tank isn't the coaching- the coach wants to win. It isn't the players' attitudes- the players are trying hard and want to win. The fuel for the tank is the quality of the roster itself. We get rid of much of your top-level talent in Vanek and Pominville (and maybe Roy at one time), and the only skilled guy we bring back is Moulson. We've taken a lot of our on-ice assets and converted them to draft assets and prospect assets.

As for Rolston vs Nolan, Carp's charts show a definite leveling out after Ted Nolan gets settled in.

Rolston's record: 4-15-1, 0.45 points per game.

Nolan's record: 11-19-7, 0.78 points per game.

There's not enough evidence to say that Nolan is a good coach, but it sure seems like he's better than Rolston. We'd have to see what Ted could do with a competitive NHL-caliber roster, and that's something we don't have. It seemed to go pretty well 18 years ago.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Because doing something requires someone else? If the biggest move so far are two role players for a 4th round pick then clearly we are in the gathering momentum phase. It just takes one move to free things up. You figure every night a GM re-evaluates his team and says to himself... perhaps I don't move that guy now. Take the Kings for example, rumors of them wanting Moulson but the Sabres ask too much, rumors for Vanek, and now they are talking about Gagner? That's a long way down IMO. Clearly they wanted more for less and the market has pushed them to consider Gagner. Do they come back up? Gagner has a few bad games and he looks like less of a value, etc.

What could they do to make the management team any better?

A wise question to help understand the initial complaint.

Definitely yes. The fuel for the tank isn't the coaching- the coach wants to win. It isn't the players' attitudes- the players are trying hard and want to win. The fuel for the tank is the quality of the roster itself. We get rid of much of your top-level talent in Vanek and Pominville (and maybe Roy at one time), and the only skilled guy we bring back is Moulson. We've taken a lot of our on-ice assets and converted them to draft assets and prospect assets.

As for Rolston vs Nolan, Carp's charts show a definite leveling out after Ted Nolan gets settled in.

Rolston's record: 4-15-1, 0.45 points per game.

Nolan's record: 11-19-7, 0.78 points per game.

There's not enough evidence to say that Nolan is a good coach, but it sure seems like he's better than Rolston. We'd have to see what Ted could do with a competitive NHL-caliber roster, and that's something we don't have. It seemed to go pretty well 18 years ago.

I'm not even sure there's enough evidence for the assertion Nolan is better than Rolston (I think he is, but allow me to finish!). Isn't this points sale analysis the same thing some used to show how much "better" the team was last year under Rolston than Ruff? I think we can clearly state this year that any improvement attributed to Rolston was a mirage...the same type of mirage that happened under Ruff the previous several seasons when the team had a second half surge. Looking just at the points, without knowing the coach, you'd be led to believe a second half coach was different and better...when he was just the same guy.

I think Matt Coller pointed out a few days back that Nolan's winning percentage is worse than Rolston's (counting last season). Clearly roster changes have had some impact, but I think it's an illustrative point.

Sorry numbers fans, for this one all you need is the eye test.

Under Nolan they look like a hard-working team with no talent.

Under Rolston they looked like a bunch of beer league guys who just met.

Oh, I definitely agree. Yet, the results are remarkably similar (or worse, depending on the numbers you look at). And I know we have some very results-oriented posters around here.

TM is turning into the stealth GM. Could this guy possibly have a lesser profile since the day of I'm not afraid to make big moves? Hell he can't even move his family out of Ottawa. Big moves.... Show me a move besides shuffing players between our two AHL teams.

He's had enough time to make an impact. I've got nothing, nil, bupkus

fizzle goes the dynamite

Edited by wjag

TM is turning into the stealth GM. Could this guy possibly have a lesser profile since the day of I'm not afraid to make big moves? Hell he can't even move his family out of Ottawa. Big moves.... Show me a move besides shuffing players between our two AHL teams.

He's had enough time to make an impact. I've got nothing, nil, bupkus

fizzle goes the dynamite

Zero NHL GMs made trades today. Relevant ones, at least. He's still got plenty of time.

Zero NHL GMs made trades today. Relevant ones, at least. He's still got plenty of time.

I only care about one. He has been uber quiet since he got here, And while he plays his fiddle, Buffalo burns. Show me something, anything.....

Edited by wjag

I only care about one. He has been uber quiet since he got here, And while he plays his fiddle, Buffalo burns. Show me something, anything.....

Well he had to meet everybody. He had to get to know the media. He had to get to know the team. He had to get the feel of GMs and the trade market around the league. AND he had to trade away an elite goaltender plus plus plus? Give him some time. It apparently made more sense to wait.

Am I disappointed that there have been no moves? Definitely. But they'll get done.

I loved the Murray hire, but now that the honeymoon is over it's time to sit back and wait before making any positive or negative judgement. Honestly, I'll be right there with you with a torch in hand if he lets even one valuable UFA walk for nothing.

Well he had to meet everybody. He had to get to know the media. He had to get to know the team. He had to get the feel of GMs and the trade market around the league. AND he had to trade away an elite goaltender plus plus plus? Give him some time. It apparently made more sense to wait.

Am I disappointed that there have been no moves? Definitely. But they'll get done.

I loved the Murray hire, but now that the honeymoon is over it's time to sit back and wait before making any positive or negative judgement. Honestly, I'll be right there with you with a torch in hand if he lets even one valuable UFA walk for nothing.

My torch was lit right away. I did not and still do not like the hire. It's nothing specific, call it a gut feeling. But he does not strike me as a savior.

Edited by wjag

The two things I read yesterday was that he said things would likely not happen today unless he received a significant offer and most gm's don't want to trade for a guy and then pay his salary during the break.

My torch was lit right away. I did not and still do not like the hire. It's nothing specific, call it a gut feeling. But he does not strike me as a savior.

He's not....Patty is. Patty is the one who can look at TPeg with that soothing smile and say..."It's ok Terry. Sit back and relax....just let it happen."

Murray is John Butler reincarnate. He just doesn't have Butler's "shoeshine charm".

I fully expect one of Hodgson, Myers or Foligno to be dealt, along with Miller and probably Moulson. I think Ted may lobby for Ott, and if Patty does too, they will try to sign him this month. Ott is an awesome asset to trade though before a playoffs. If Gaustad got a 1st, he should get a 1st and a real prospect.

He's gonna get his groove on, and a bunch here will not like a name or two that gets dealt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.