2013 / 2014 World Junior Championship

Derrico

Fantastic Finns strike gold!

24wrer6.gif

http://youtu.be/wdBYV00JMlM

ARX_7656_Channel%20Homepage%20Slider.JPG

Rasmus Ristolainen scored at 9:42 of overtime to lift Finland to an unforgettable 3-2 win over host Sweden in the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship on Sunday.

Captain Teuvo Teräväinen put the puck around the boards to Ristolainen, who powered down the right side, beating Swedish defenceman Robert Hägg as he cut to the net and put a backhand deke underneath sprawling netminder Oscar Dansk.

In regulation time, Saku Mäenalanen had a goal and an assist for Finland and Esa Lindell had a single. Teräväinen, who won the scoring title with 15 points, totalled three assists.

Lucas Wallmark and Christian Djoos tallied a goal and an assist apiece for Sweden.

The Cinderella Finns were hoping for a storybook ending, and they got it in spades. It is Finland’s third World Junior gold medal of all time. The previous ones came in 1987 and 1998.

The gold is Finland’s first medal since 2006’s bronze in Vancouver. That was also the last year a team other than Canada, Russia, Sweden, or the United States medalled.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24399444/gif-finland-wins-world-juniors-on-rasmus-ristolainens-golden-goal

Actually Don Cherry won't have anything new, novel or inciteful to say. Why add salt the wound from that blowhard?

actually he can incite people with his commentary, whether it is insightful or not..... :flirt:

Here it is. Rasmus winning the gold and celebrating!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8CpsNDn2s8

Thoughts:

1. That was an incredible and dramatic goal. I wasn't super high on the Risto pick (with Nichushkin there) but this makes me feel a ton better.

2. My man-crush on Filip Forsberg probably increased from that. He looks like he's dying after they lose that game (0:32). Really wish the Sabres had scooped him up when the Capitals had him on the trade market last year (Nashville got him).

3. Robert Hagg (a guy I really liked for the Sabres in the 2nd round last year) blew it and he knows it (0:45).

Zadorov was great in the tourney, Ristolainen was great. We have McCabe playing awesome in College plus you got Pysyk doing good in the NHL. Add them to Ehrhoff and Myers with McNabb... that is a very big, physical, puck movin defense that if kept together 3 years from now could be legendary.

Zadorov was great in the tourney, Ristolainen was great. We have McCabe playing awesome in College plus you got Pysyk doing good in the NHL. Add them to Ehrhoff and Myers with McNabb... that is a very big, physical, puck movin defense that if kept together 3 years from now could be legendary.

Hopefully we can find a few forwards to pair with Gus to assemble an actual team.

I wonder if appearing to hit on D-man picks will make Ehrhoff go on the market at the deadline.

I wonder if appearing to hit on D-man picks will make Ehrhoff go on the market at the deadline.

I doubt it. His contract is too long and I dont think the Sabres want to part with their only veteran defender. He is perfectly priced and fits nicely, unless it is a packaged deal you couldn't turn down I don't see them movie Ehrhoff.

While his deal is cap friendly, it would take a special situation to move him with...gulp...8 years left on his deal.

I doubt it. His contract is too long and I dont think the Sabres want to part with their only veteran defender. He is perfectly priced and fits nicely, unless it is a packaged deal you couldn't turn down I don't see them movie Ehrhoff.

Beat me to it

Just looked it up.....8 years and 22M of "real" money is left to be paid out as Terry front loaded the deal. Savings of 10M as compared to the cap hit over the remainder of the deal. If an owner values profit more than competition, it could be a sweetener.

Unlike others, I have thought that the Hoff has been playing really well and worth every penny we pay him. I hope he stays and that some of those D prospect unknowns could be turned into some offensive prospect unknowns.

Unlike others, I have thought that the Hoff has been playing really well and worth every penny we pay him. I hope he stays and that some of those D prospect unknowns could be turned into some offensive prospect unknowns.

Also a big fan of the Hoff, but his trade value intrigues me. As does the prospects of making sure we are in the McDavid sweepstakes next year. Just spitballing, but if we go to the deadline making Miller/Ott/Ehrhoff/Moulson available, the haul coming back could be a lot of fun. And also lock us in next year for that top 2 pick.

Just watched the encore showing of the gold medal game, man is international hockey just so much more exciting than the NHL, especially at the junior level.... I really like the ice size and the offensive ability that we see, no real BS trap system like we see with some teams.... I like the crease rule and the freedom for goalies to play behind the net as well.... Wake up NHL

Just watched the encore showing of the gold medal game, man is international hockey just so much more exciting than the NHL, especially at the junior level.... I really like the ice size and the offensive ability that we see, no real BS trap system like we see with some teams.... I like the crease rule and the freedom for goalies to play behind the net as well.... Wake up NHL

The trapezoid--designed to hinder one player--is the dumbest thing in the game other than the non-calls on obstruction and interference. Seriously, if you need to draw lines on the ice just because Marty Brodeur is that good at moving a puck, well, maybe the other teams need to coach their goalies on how to move a puck.

As for international hockey, every year, the WJC provides a small taste. This year, we get the real deal.

Archived