2013 / 2014 World Junior Championship

Derrico

The worst part about trading Ehrhoff (down the road...now the worst part is losing his awesomeness) is if he decides to retire early in the midst of those $1MM "years" at the end. We'd get violated by cap recapture--could be anywhere from $3MM for several years to $10MM if he retired just before the final year of the contract. Hopefully we'd be a contender by then, so that much dead cap space would suck.

2014 WJC Video: Mikhail Grigorenko, Russia

nikita_zadorov_mikhail_grigorenko_russia_010514.jpg

By Chapin Landvogt

For the fourth straight year, Russia earned a medal at the 2014 World Junior Championship. And, for the third time in those four years, Canada was on the losing side of that equation as Russia won the bronze medal game at this year's event, 2-1. With both countries entering the tournament with elevated expectations, playing for bronze is not something they planned on doing. But, with other countries showing improvement in their hockey programs, it may well be the new normal for these two hockey powers.

Opening the scoring in this game for Russia was Buffalo Sabres prospect, Mikhail Grigorenko. Grigorenko finished the tournament as his country's leading scorer, finishing ninth among all scorers at the 2014 WJC. In seven games, Grigorenko netted five goals and added three assists while posting a +6 rating.

The Sabres have to feel pretty good about their Russian contingent that took part in this tournament. Grigorenko did what he was expected to do at this event, namely produce some offense, while defenseman Nikita Zadorov was named one of the top defenseman for this WJC by the media.

Grigorenko met with the media following the win over Canada, with some of those comments being captured in this Hockey's Future video.

I've seen pieces on Grigo where he has been criticized for not being interested in the defensive zone.

I disagree. I've seen him being quite diligent getting back, with his head up looking for his man.

Again, where his defence lacks is in his strength on the puck carrier and his speed in getting to loose pucks.

2014 WJC Video: Rasmus Ristolainen, Finland

By Chapin Landvogt

It was a nearly identical gold medal-winning goal as the one scored two years by Mika Zibanejad, only this time, Sweden was on the receiving end. Finland defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen grabbed the puck along the boards and powered his way to the front of Sweden's net to beat Oscar Dansk for the overtime goal, giving the Finns a stunning 3-2 win in the finale of the 2014 World Junior Championship.

Ristolainen's goal gave Finland their first gold medal at this tournament since 1998, and their first medal of any type since 2006. The win was especially sweet for the Finns as they were able to accomplish the feat against their greatest hockey rival in front of a partisan, mostly Swedish crowd at Malmo Arena.

For Ristolainen, the goal capped off a strong tournament for the young defeseman. The Buffalo Sabres prospect netted three goals in seven games and was used in all situations by Finland head coach Karri Kivi. Ristolainen's efforts were recognized at tournament's end as he was named the Best Defenseman by the IIHF Directorate, as well as being named one of the two best defensemen at this WJC by the media (the other was fellow Sabres prospect, Nikita Zadorov).

Here is the Ristolainen's golden goal:

http://youtu.be/v8CpsNDn2s8

And here is Ristolainen's comments following his country's gold medal win, presented in this Hockey's Future video.

Normally I hate that ###### but I'm loving the self assurance he's got on display.

I think we hate it because it's usually someone else's guy doing that to our team. :lol:

Watching that game live, it just looked like he had decided that he was going to take over in OT. When he scored, he didn't have time enough to turn of his Bad MoFo mode by the time he threw his helmut. I didn't see joy, I saw someone saying F### Everyone!!! Me likey.

The worst part about trading Ehrhoff (down the road...now the worst part is losing his awesomeness) is if he decides to retire early in the midst of those $1MM "years" at the end. We'd get violated by cap recapture--could be anywhere from $3MM for several years to $10MM if he retired just before the final year of the contract. Hopefully we'd be a contender by then, so that much dead cap space would suck.

Good find....wasn't the least bit aware of the recapture issue. I wonder if it could be a situation like Pronger where the guy just doesn't play yet doesn't officially declare retirement as they are still getting paychecks?

Good find....wasn't the least bit aware of the recapture issue. I wonder if it could be a situation like Pronger where the guy just doesn't play yet doesn't officially declare retirement as they are still getting paychecks?

I really hope the league do something about the Pronger situation. It seems ridiculous you let someone live on LTIR, announce they won't ever play again and continue to have them not count against the cap

I know we're all still basking in the afterglow of this year's WJC, but if you look at last year's draft class, the Sabres should have a pretty strong showing in next year's tournament as well:

1st round:

Risto - Already played, could play again

Zadorov - Already played, could play again

2nd round:

Compher - Would have played this year if not for injury

Hurley - Eligible for Team USA, will be at Notre Dame next year

Bailey - Eligible for Team USA, will be in his final year of juniors next year

3rd round:

Baptiste - Got some buzz for Team Canada this year, but ultimately didn't get the invite

5th round:

Cal Petersen - G in USHL with 17-2-1 record, will be at Notre Dame next year

Possler - Would have played this year if not for injury

Florentino - Eligible for Team USA, at Providence College now

6th and 7th round:

Malone and Locke - ?????

I don't think it'd be crazy to send Risto and Zadorov to play one last time (the tournament is in Toronto/Montreal next year). Then we can hope Compher and Possler don't get derailed by injuries again. Hurley, Bailey, and Petersen could all be candidates with strong seasons and Baptiste has a shot (albeit a long shot) if he keeps getting better. Pretty good early returns on our 2013 draft class.

Archived