2013 / 2014 World Junior Championship

Derrico

2014 WJC Video: Mikhail Grigorenko, Russia

RUS-F-Mikhail-Grigorenko_1.jpg

Team Russia took advantage of some penalty problems enndured by the USA to pull out a 5-3 win in their quarterfinal match at the 2014 World Junior Championship. The win sends the Russians on to the semi-finals where they'll meet the winner of the Sweden-Slovakia contest.

Heading into the playoff round, Russia's leading scorer was Mikhail Grigorenko, a prospect of the Buffalo Sabres. So, it was fitting that the big center would open the scoring for Russia in this game, putting in a rebound on the doorstep of USA goaltender Jon Gillies to make the score 1-0.

After the quarterfinal win, Grigorenko now shares the team scoring lead with two other players at seven points apiece. He has scored four goals and chipped in three assists while sporting a +6 rating for the tournament.

Grigorenko met with the media following the win over Team USA, with his comments being captured in this Hockey's Future video.

News: WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP DAY 7

By Kris Baker - SabresProspects.com

Nikita Zadorov blasted home a pair of power play strikes Thursday to thrust Russia to a 5-3 quarterfinal victory over the United States at the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship in Malmo, Sweden. Mikhail Grigorenko also scored for Russia, who ended USA’s quest to defend the gold medal earned at the 2013 event in Russia.

USA/RUSSIA GAME SUMMARY

http://youtu.be/5pkORo384N0

Grigorenko opened the scoring at 6:17 of the first period when he was in the right place at the right time to bat a loose puck past USA goalie Jon Gillies (CGY). The marker gives Grigorenko seven points (4+3) through five tourney games.

The Americans would claw back with goals from Stefan Matteau (NJD), Ryan Hartman (CHI) and Nic Kerdiles (ANA) to capture a 3-2 lead at the first intermission. Pavel Buchnevich (NYR) replied with the other Russian marker.

Play tightened up in the middle frame until penalty trouble plagued the Americans, allowing Zadorov to step into two one-timers just 1:01 apart to quickly put Russia in front 4-3 at the end of two periods. The goals, which both came with Russia holding a two-man advantage, were all that Russia needed as they held off the USA attack the rest of the way before getting a Buchnevich empty-net tally late to advance to the semifinal round.

Zadorov’s second two-goal game of the tournament gives him four marks in five games, placing him in the tournament lead among all defenders.

In other quarterfinal action, Rasmus Ristolainen returned from his two-game absence due to illness, recording three shots on goal and an even rating as Finland overcame a two-goal deficit to claim a 5-3 win over the Czech Republic. Saku Maenalanen (NSH) scored twice while Teuvo Teravainen (CHI) connected for two helpers to keep the Finns in medal contention.

FINLAND/CZECH REPUBLIC GAME SUMMARY

http://youtu.be/ocq4zC0zTRc

Grigorenko and Zadorov doing well.

But if we get another top 10 pick in 2014, they should have a look at Barbashev, everytime i watch the russians play and i asked myself who made that play ? it was him.

Just like seeing the kid play, battles for pucks to.

But if we get another top 10 pick in 2014, they should have a look at Barbashev, everytime i watch the russians play and i asked myself who made that play ? it was him.

He is Rangers property. 3rd round last year, not a hot prospect.

you're right. somehow I got this profile. http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/pavel-buchnevich/

Names looked too similar. OOPS!

My bad, pulled the wrong report. Kid sounds like a good prospect!

Semifinals: Sweden vs. Russia; Canada vs. Finland

The semifinal round of the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship will take the spotlight Saturday when Sweden plays Russia and Canada battles Finland at Malmo Arena in Malmo, Sweden.

The survivors will meet in the gold-medal game slated for Sunday at 1 p.m. ET (NHLN-US). The bronze-medal game is scheduled for 9 a.m. ET on Sunday.

Canada is making its 16th consecutive appearance in the tournament semifinals. Sweden is making its eighth straight semifinal-round appearance, and this will mark the fourth straight for Russia. Finland failed to advance to the medal round at the 2013 WJC, and this is only the second time in eight years the country will have a chance to play for a medal.

A new champion is guaranteed Sunday since Russia beat the United States, the defending gold medalist, 5-3 in the quarterfinal round Thursday. In other quarterfinal action Sweden defeated Slovakia 6-0; Canada defeated Switzerland 4-1; and Finland defeated Czech Republic 5-3.

Here is a closer look at the semifinal matchups Saturday:

Russia vs Sweden at 9 AM EST and Canada vs Finland at 1 PM EST - Both on NHL Network

Sweden looking good.

High sticking penalty on Sweden with 5 seconds left in the second. Russia will have 3:55 powerplay to start the third. Nice.

Russia actually looks much better, but Dansk is saving Sweden's butts. The 4 min Russian PP at the start of the 3rd is big.

Russia actually looks much better, but Dansk is saving Sweden's butts. The 4 min Russian PP at the start of the 3rd is big.

Zadorov is all over the place as well. One minute he's back on D, the next he's leading the charge into the zone. For his size he's got a real nose for offense.

I thought it was too harsh of a judgment.

Ferraro has a way of overstating things. He made a statement about Grigs and Big Z earlier saying something to the effect that they had better learn coverage/defence if and when they get back to Buffalo. On a simple broken play.

Grigorenko simply loafs too much. He doesn't have a burst to the open puck. His skating looks very subpar in relation to the others in the game. Skating you fix, but the kid needs to want to win battles and so far i dont see it. Z on the other hand really seems to sense where the play is going and jumps in. You can't teach that.

Archived