2013 / 2014 World Junior Championship

Derrico

In the third they were playing his line every second shift.

Didn't watch the game, but was listening to it from the other room. Heard the word 'Grigorenko' far more often than any other in the 3rd. Not sure how that happens if he's floating as badly as he's made out to float; maybe his linemates were all over the Swedes and continually feeding him the puck? :unsure:

Didn't watch the game, but was listening to it from the other room. Heard the word 'Grigorenko' far more often than any other in the 3rd. Not sure how that happens if he's floating as badly as he's made out to float; maybe his linemates were all over the Swedes and continually feeding him the puck? :unsure:

From the games I saw, Grigs had a good tourney.

He seems less timid against players at this level. I think it has a lot to do with his strength.

This is the first time in more than 30 years that Canada hasn't earned a medal. I assume they've declared a state of emergency up north by now.

Yeah, it's actually the first time in more then 30 years they went back to back tourneys without a medal!

Someone needs to get Don Cherry in front of camera immediately. His comments on this are going to be epic.

Actually Don Cherry won't have anything new, novel or inciteful to say. Why add salt the wound from that blowhard?

They lost the Bronze Medal game to Russia just last year.

Yup. I read the TSN headline too fast. It's really hard to imagine Canada missing out on anything two years in a row.

Actually Don Cherry won't have anything new, novel or inciteful to say. Why add salt the wound from that blowhard?

Because I like watching him freak out about this stuff.

Russians do it again

AR4_1221_Channel%20Homepage%20Slider.JPG

First-period goals from Mikhail Grigorenko and Eduard Gimatov and a 30-save performance by Andrei Vasilevski led Russia to a 2-1 win over Canada for bronze.

Russia remains a perfect 6-0 in bronze-medal games at the U20 while, for the first time since Hockey Canada introduced the Program of Excellence in 1982, Canada goes home without a medal for the second straight year.

"I wanted to win gold and the whole team did," said goalie Zachary Fucale. "This is unacceptable for us. You have to be at your best every night, and we weren't, and it cost us the tournament."

It's also the second straight year that the teams faced each other for third place, Russia winning both. "We beat them again, so it's a good time right now," said Grigorenko. "It's a tough game to prepare for, but once it starts you just play hockey and want to win the game."

"We came here to win gold, so I don't know if we were 100 per cent ready for today's game," said Bogdan Yakimov. "It wasn't our best game of the tournament, that's for sure, but we tried our best. Everyone is exhausted right now."

Although Canada had the better of the play in the first period, it was the Russians who headed to the dressing room after 20 minutes up 2-0. The lead was achieved through a little bit of luck.

Russia opened the scoring at 3:35 with a power-play goal. Grigorenko fired a hard pass from the sideboards to the front of the goal, but the puck hit defenceman Matt Dumba’s skate and went in past a surprised Zachary Fucale.

"It was a little bit lucky," Grigorenko admitted, "but I was trying to make a pass to Buchnevich and there were a lot of guys in front."

Risto wins Gold for Finland with an OT Goal! What a move to win it. Reminds me of Pominville's OT shortie against the Sens.

Ristolainen was an absolute beast in this game, especially in overtime! I hope he gives as much effort to the sabres as he has to his home country!! Shades of what we have to look forward too.

Archived