2013 / 2014 World Junior Championship

Derrico

There has been some news lately on Sabres and other prospects that will play for their respective countries and I have not yet seen a thread for this big Christmas / New Years tourney. This year it's in Sweden.

Here's a link to the Offical Page with schedule. http://www.worldjunior2014.com/

Some surprising news out of the Canadian camp this year: 2013 7th overall pick Darnell Nurse and 12th overall pick Max Domi have not been invited to the 25 player tryout camp.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/darnell-nurse-max-domi-lead-team-canada-surprise-211256654.html

I'm thinking Grigs to the Russian U-20 team for the WJC when they activate McCormick from I-R: Sabres could send Mikhail Grigorenko to play with Russians or back to junior

The Sabres are “discussing all possibilities” to find 19-year-old prospect Mikhail Grigorenko playing time, interim coach Ted Nolan said Tuesday.

That means the Sabres could loan the center, a healthy scratch the last two games, to Russia for the world junior championship later this month if he’s invited. He could also get sent back to the junior Quebec Remparts.

2014 Preliminary National Junior Roster Announced

USA Hockey today unveiled its 26-player preliminary roster for the 2014 U.S. National Junior Team that will participate in the International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship Dec. 26, 2013-Jan. 5, 2014, in Malmo, Sweden.

2014 Training Camp Roster

J.T. Compher is on the roster as expected.

Should we be concerned that Hurley and Bailey aren't on the list and at least a dozen lower picks are?

Hurley is very very young. He just turned 18 in September and is still in HS so for him absolutely not. He won't be on our radar for at least another 3 years. As for Bailey you need to look at the positions and skills the guys bring who were selected. Bailey is a top 2 winger at that level but if they have 2 top 2 wingers already they like, Bailey doesn't make the cut. I would say for him I am a little concerned but not overally.

Should we be concerned that Hurley and Bailey aren't on the list and at least a dozen lower picks are?

As Liger said Hurley is still very young. I think everyone was aware that when we took Bailey he was a bit of a project. Kid was maybe a little overhyped due to his local connections. Bailey could end up being a second line winger someday but it will take a few years in the O and then A before that happens.

I'm thinking Grigs to the Russian U-20 team for the WJC when they activate McCormick from I-R: Sabres could send Mikhail Grigorenko to play with Russians or back to junior

I love the idea of sending Grigs to this tourney for a couple of weeks. Let him play with the best kids in the world his age for a bit.

Keep an eye on Eichel, as he may very well be the guy we end up with after tanking next season.

Here is a Jack Eichel write-up

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/08/03/nhl-prospect-jack-eichel-seeks-career-development/j42tOPcHO6KKELKMe1JboJ/story.html

Note that his was written by a Boston guy who at one point says "Eichel’s opportunities could prevent him from experiencing a similar outcome" which he is being derogatory towards Tyler Seguin making him sound like a bust or something.

"In retrospect, Seguin’s physical gifts disguised his shortcomings. During his three years in Boston, Seguin’s hockey sense and toughness trailed his speed and shot. In youth hockey and junior, Seguin didn’t need to develop either attribute. The NHL is a punishing proving ground to learn those qualities. Now, Seguin is an ex-Bruin."

For the record:

@SabresPR

The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team will loan forward Mikhail Grigorenko to the Russian men's national junior ice hockey team.

lol gotta love how Sabres PR is about 12 hours behind the rest of the world. Either way it will be good for Nikita and Mikhael to go to Russia and kick some @ss later on in the Sweden.

Archived