Are there any Leafs fans here?

millbank

Not a leafs fan but am a Detroit fan. I know I know, but it's where I was born n raised. I've come to love the Buffalo fan base far more, though. There's a lot of tinfoil hat red wings fans out there. I probably follow the Sabres more, too. I had my Zetterberg winter classic jersey on at the game last sunday (only sabres game I won't wear a sabres jersey for) and an old man grumbled at me and said "what's your other sweater, a leaf?" I told him to not be cruel. He muttered something nastier that I ignored. Not my fault they moved into the same division!

That being said, I harbor hatred for the Flyers and the Sens.

Not a leafs fan but am a Detroit fan. I know I know, but it's where I was born n raised. I've come to love the Buffalo fan base far more, though. There's a lot of tinfoil hat red wings fans out there. I probably follow the Sabres more, too. I had my Zetterberg winter classic jersey on at the game last sunday (only sabres game I won't wear a sabres jersey for) and an old man grumbled at me and said "what's your other sweater, a leaf?" I told him to not be cruel. He muttered something nastier that I ignored. Not my fault they moved into the same division!

You didn't tell me that! Me fighting an old man would have been way more entertaining than that game! :lol:

great post and thoughts. thank you.

My Leaf hatred is two-pronged:

The fact they are division rivals

And the ungodly amount of media attention the Leafs have been given in Canada for my entire life, despite the fact they have been mediocre at best for the vast majority of that time,

don't hate me, but i love the Leafs. it really started when they got Connolly. I would tune in for a few games here and there hoping he would prove all the doubters wrong and have a prolific career as a Leaf. It didn't happen, but I just started to like watching them. They already had Kessel, who is one of my favorite non-Sabres, but then got JVR (who i became big fan of after watching him dominate the sabres in the playoffs for philly). they have a lot of likeable players, even tho it sucks they lost MacArthur.

I would estimate that I've watched more Leafs games over the last 3-4 seasons than I have watched all other non-Sabres games combined. Having HNIC on NHL network definitely contributed to that though.

i think chances are, if Sabres never existed, I would have become a Leafs fan based on proximity. i could never go back and call myself a "Leafs fan" now even if the Sabres were relocated for any reason, but you have to respect their tradition, their struggles, and their overall importance to the hockey world.

You didn't tell me that! Me fighting an old man would have been way more entertaining than that game! :lol:

He probably would have beaten the crap out of you on TV :D

As Sabres fans, we often have to answer the hypothetical question of who we would root for if our team left Buffalo. I would probably choose the Leafs just because of proximity, with Montreal and Winnipeg a close second.

Luckily, it looks like I won't have to answer that question for reals for some time, so,… F### the Leafs!

I do think, though, that it is better when both franchises are good. It just makes for better hockey.

I'd probably go with a western conference team then, allthough did always like the red wings, but probably going for Nashville then. nvm wouldn't be the same.

I like the rivalry and I do like Kessel and JVR. Got to watch JVR when he played for UNH and Jon Quick was at UMass when we lived up there. I still hate the Flyers and Owawa a lot more, but I am growing in my dislike for Toronto because some of the antics of Toronto fans. They have been insufferable at the annual Bills game I go to and it doesn't seem like they are any different and Sabre games.

P.S. A friend who gets me tickets knows a couple of Buffalo police officers and he calls in Canadian license plates of those who have been drinking too much, fort DWI pullovers after Bills games. Not a bad idea to keep the Leaf fans away from games unless they decide to walk over the Peace Bridge.

Might keep the tall-boys to a minimum.

Though Lanny McDonald was one of my all time favorite players and Detroit has a place in my heart because of numerous friends who are rabid fans and Datsyuk who is God imo and ageless.

Think we have a consensus... there are few to none Leaf fans here, which differs from Ontario and Toronto area where there are many Leaf fans who also have rooting interest in Sabres. The angst very much one sided.

I live in the gta and I've never seen this....

Think we have a consensus... there are few to none Leaf fans here, which differs from Ontario and Toronto area where there are many Leaf fans who also have rooting interest in Sabres. The angst very much one sided.

A huge portion of Sabres fans deal with a massive inferiority complete. It's more jealously and resentment that actual hate. It's a frustration spawned by teams like the Leafs, Flyers and Bruins ability to remain relevant despite their place in the standings. You see it when the Sabres are on a national broadcast, some fans get so indignant when the network spends time talking and have features on players who draw national interest. You also see it with all the delusional conspiracy theories that pop up from time to time. It can be entertaining at times, it ends up mostly being embarrassing.

The Leafs are an Original Six franchise with a classic uniform, which the Sabres emulated, a rich history and a fan base that can easily support a second team in Toronto and probably even a third. I have nothing but respect for Toronto as the worlds premier hockey market, and I appreciate that on any given night a large portion of fans at the F'n center are Leaf fans no matter who the Sabres are playing.

Interesting question. I am a Sabres fan first, but I do cheer for and follow the Leafs. I think it's parts growing up on the boarder, watching Hockey Night in Canada as a boy, and discovering the beauty that is Ontario, Canada, as I grew up. I "holiday" in Bancroft, canoe in Algonquin, fish in Dokis - I've been as far north as New Liskeard. Bancroft was also my honeymoon. I love the uniforms and the crest. Rivalry, yes. I loved the Sabres win last night, but I like the Leafs.

Aside: I live in Tampa but manage offices between Tampa and Naples. I see many Ontario license plates, sweaters, sweatshirts, tee shirts, etc. I have fun bellowing "Go, Leafs, Go" in malls, parking lots and restaurants when I see an Ontario family. I've met some nice people and have had fun.

A huge portion of Sabres fans deal with a massive inferiority complete. It's more jealously and resentment that actual hate. It's a frustration spawned by teams like the Leafs, Flyers and Bruins ability to remain relevant despite their place in the standings. You see it when the Sabres are on a national broadcast, some fans get so indignant when the network spends time talking and have features on players who draw national interest. You also see it with all the delusional conspiracy theories that pop up from time to time. It can be entertaining at times, it ends up mostly being embarrassing.

The Leafs are an Original Six franchise with a classic uniform, which the Sabres emulated, a rich history and a fan base that can easily support a second team in Toronto and probably even a third. I have nothing but respect for Toronto as the worlds premier hockey market, and I appreciate that on any given night a large portion of fans at the F'n center are Leaf fans no matter who the Sabres are playing.

I'm not sure that Toronto is the world's premier hockey market (Montreal might want to have a say about that), but if it is, it's only because it's the largest city in Canada. It's not because the team is historic or well-run or anything like that.

They were all Coors Light cans....

The Trial of Ian McDermott. Aud, you up, boo?

I think you nailed it. The hate is one-sided. I seriously doubt the Sabres make the top five in a Leafs fan's list of top rivals.

Beyond Leafs fans coming to Buffalo and cheering, and Sabres fans trying to respond, what else does this rivalry have? There isn't much history. Only one playoff meeting. It's mostly a little brother jumping up and down and trying to get the big brother's attention.

Philadelphia should clearly be our biggest rival. Boston a close second. I had hopes for Carolina. I like Taro's thought about the Isles. But I'm sure that feeling is contained to us older fans. Maybe the Sabres and Islanders should get together and try and cultivate the hate. We could be their Rangers lite.

The Leafs are an Original Six franchise with a classic uniform, which the Sabres emulated,

Interesting. Tell me more about how the Sabres emulated the Leaf's uniform. I genuinely have never heard this and am curious about this,

The Trial of Ian McDermott. Aud, you up, boo?

I think you nailed it. The hate is one-sided. I seriously doubt the Sabres make the top five in a Leafs fan's list of top rivals.

Beyond Leafs fans coming to Buffalo and cheering, and Sabres fans trying to respond, what else does this rivalry have? There isn't much history. Only one playoff meeting. It's mostly a little brother jumping up and down and trying to get the big brother's attention.

Philadelphia should clearly be our biggest rival. Boston a close second. I had hopes for Carolina. I like Taro's thought about the Isles. But I'm sure that feeling is contained to us older fans. Maybe the Sabres and Islanders should get together and try and cultivate the hate. We could be their Rangers lite.

I'm not sure about that. The Leafs fans I've met down here have no love for the Sabres. And in turn, I can't think of any of the Sabres fans who I know that "hate" the Leafs, not like the Bruins or Philly. Even the Penguins and Ottawa are ahead of them.

Jealousy of the Leafs? for real? You are going to base your opinion on jealousy of a team that has done nothing for longer than the Sabres have done nothing?

Archived