Are there any Leafs fans here?

millbank

I'm not sure that Toronto is the world's premier hockey market (Montreal might want to have a say about that), but if it is, it's only because it's the largest city in Canada. It's not because the team is historic or well-run or anything like that.

You the man 11, but come on man the Leafs are a very historic team.

You the man 11, but come on man the Leafs are a very historic team.

Oh, definitely, but that has nothing to do with why Toronto is a huge hockey market. You could shut the Leaves down, promote the Marlies to the NHL, and there would be millions of Marlies fans.

Oh, definitely, but that has nothing to do with why Toronto is a huge hockey market. You could shut the Leaves down, promote the Marlies to the NHL, and there would be millions of Marlies fans.

Exactly. Those fans have supported the laughs through some craptastic hockey teams over the years regardless of their inability to compete or team build. Lately they seem to be getting it as a franchise but its been years of bad hockey over there and the tens of millions of fans still fight for a seat paying crazy money to watch them lose so yeah they'd support the Marlies.

i do think at times when Buffalo sorts look at those who visit from north of border as is life one can choose to live in half full part of glass or half empty. I think for many of you , you look to find the negative and use it to paint the entire picture. No doubt some misbehave, but I submit the greater majority no different than any Sabre supporter rooting for their respective team. Amongst the razoonies who cross the border are also fine people with wives, sons and daughters, girlfriends, boyfriends, simply out for a special night. I know as a young person did so as a family many times , with friends, dating ect. The question posed in my mind had no right or wrong we each entitled to who we root for, this fully appreciated and respected by this poster .. :)

i do think at times when Buffalo sorts look at those who visit from north of border as is life one can choose to live in half full part of glass or half empty. I think for many of you , you look to find the negative and use it to paint the entire picture. No doubt some misbehave, but I submit the greater majority no different than any Sabre supporter rooting for their respective team. Amongst the razoonies who cross the border are also fine people with wives, sons and daughters, girlfriends, boyfriends, simply out for a special night. I know as a young person did so as a family many times , with friends, dating ect. The question posed in my mind had no right or wrong we each entitled to who we root for, this fully appreciated and respected by this poster .. :)

There's always loonies in every crowd Millbank. I don't judge the crowd because of a few loonietunes. I'm sure there were a few in the Buffalo contingent as well that given the circumstances would do something stupid. Fact of life. I'm sure the city of Buffalo is grateful for the monetary boost to the local economy every time the leafs Visit.

A huge portion of Sabres fans deal with a massive inferiority complete. It's more jealously and resentment that actual hate. It's a frustration spawned by teams like the Leafs, Flyers and Bruins ability to remain relevant despite their place in the standings. You see it when the Sabres are on a national broadcast, some fans get so indignant when the network spends time talking and have features on players who draw national interest. You also see it with all the delusional conspiracy theories that pop up from time to time. It can be entertaining at times, it ends up mostly being embarrassing.

The Leafs are an Original Six franchise with a classic uniform, which the Sabres emulated, a rich history and a fan base that can easily support a second team in Toronto and probably even a third. I have nothing but respect for Toronto as the worlds premier hockey market, and I appreciate that on any given night a large portion of fans at the F'n center are Leaf fans no matter who the Sabres are playing.

I don't think I agree with the inferiority complex angle. I still don't hate the Leafs, actually used to like them a lot when they were in the other division and always wished both teams would be good at the same time. I like the fact that they are now just across the border in the same division and a rivalry has actually started.

The inferiority complex imo still comes from the Canadian side of the border, especially from Torontonians. Have spent 25+ summers just North of Parry Sound and having canoed the French River system and above North Bay, I have to say you could always spot someone from Toronto. They were rude and very anti-american. The rest of folks outside of Toronto were always very nice and polite, but Toronto has always been of a red headed step child to Montreal and NYC and folks from Buffalo catch a bit of that resentment.

Buffalonians has as wide spread ex-pats as there are in the U.S. imo and we don't take any of this crap laying down from anyone. We can always spot each other in a crowd by accent or Sabres/Bills hats.

Though Millbank, I have to say, I really like the fact that there is a rivalry starting to percolate. I only hope both teams get and remain competitive and these discussions keep happening. They should in the very least be entertaining.

There's always loonies in every crowd Millbank. I don't judge the crowd because of a few loonietunes. I'm sure there were a few in the Buffalo contingent as well that given the circumstances would do something stupid. Fact of life. I'm sure the city of Buffalo is grateful for the monetary boost to the local economy every time the leafs Visit.

I agree, and for the record, I know a few on our side of the border lunatics that given the opportunity would return the favor without any further thought.... Nothing like booze to create instant @#$@#$holes.

Doc are you okay?

LOL, i guess working with inner city students and seeing all the problems of addiction has influenced me, sorry.

True fans don't drink?

IMO if they concentrate more and getting there next beer and spending more time pissing then watching the game, yes. Watching and cheering the game should be more important that getting plastered.

The Leafs have finished ahead of the Sabres just 13 times in 43 years.

In that span, they've missed the playoffs 18 times, won just one division title, and never advanced to the finals.

Anything stating the Sabres should be jealous of the Leafs is revisionist history.

The Leafs have finished ahead of the Sabres just 13 times in 43 years.

In that span, they've missed the playoffs 18 times, won just one division title, and never advanced to the finals.

Anything stating the Sabres should be jealous of the Leafs is revisionist history.

:thumbsup:

I only hate the Leafs because of their fans and Darcy Tucker. The rest of the time I feel bad for them. The only original six franchise that hasn't won a Cup since the Sabres joined the league. From a historical appreciation perspective that really sucks.

LOL, i guess working with inner city students and seeing all the problems of addiction has influenced me, sorry.

IMO if they concentrate more and getting there next beer and spending more time pissing then watching the game, yes. Watching and cheering the game should be more important that getting plastered.

So, is your first name Chet?

Is a couple of beer cans thrown on the ice after an overtime loss to their closest rival really that big a deal? I'd be pissed, too.

Is a couple of beer cans thrown on the ice after an overtime loss to their closest rival really that big a deal? I'd be pissed, too.

True, but calling those fans out for their miss behavior by the other team and their fans is only fair too. It would be kinda like the Sabres not responding to someone running Miller in a game... oops. But this is a new era.

:thumbsup:

I only hate the Leafs because of their fans and Darcy Tucker. The rest of the time I feel bad for them. The only original six franchise that hasn't won a Cup since the Sabres joined the league. From a historical appreciation perspective that really sucks.

I didn't used to hate the Leafs. I rather felt sorry for them. Same for the Red Wings back in the day too. Frankly, I find most of the Leafs fanbase rather insufferable. Millibank aside of course. Leafs fans = Yankees fans = Cowboys fans for the most part. Red Wings fans are near this status as well. The difference is, at least with the Cowboys, Red Wings, and Yankees there is a measure of team success to justify the insufferable-ness. I have no idea where Leafs fans can justify the superiority complex. They sure have earned it via their teams' success.

A lot of my Leaf fan friends like to rip on Buffalo for not having won a championship. The last time the Leafs won a championship the Sabres didn't exist, and yet these ~20 year olds feel the glory of the '67 cup in their veins.

A huge portion of Sabres fans deal with a massive inferiority complete. It's more jealously and resentment that actual hate. It's a frustration spawned by teams like the Leafs, Flyers and Bruins ability to remain relevant despite their place in the standings. You see it when the Sabres are on a national broadcast, some fans get so indignant when the network spends time talking and have features on players who draw national interest. You also see it with all the delusional conspiracy theories that pop up from time to time. It can be entertaining at times, it ends up mostly being embarrassing.

The Leafs are an Original Six franchise with a classic uniform, which the Sabres emulated, a rich history and a fan base that can easily support a second team in Toronto and probably even a third. I have nothing but respect for Toronto as the worlds premier hockey market, and I appreciate that on any given night a large portion of fans at the F'n center are Leaf fans no matter who the Sabres are playing.

You're an embarrassment to Sabres fans.

Historically in order:

Boston

Philly

Montreal

Ottawa

NY Islanders

Dallas

Carolina

Pittsburg

with an honorable mention to NY Rangers

Not many other teams twist older Sabres fans like Boston and Philly, for you younger, post Gilbert era, I'm sure Ottawa, Carolina and Dallas hold for you. But nothing, nothing beats the Bruins hands down when it comes to the longevity of hate and disdain, not only for a hockey team, but a sports town in general, when it comes to Buffalo Sports Fans.

In all due respect to the 4 female posters here....all broads are nuts. The older you get, the more you understand. Doesn't stop the hurt, and the one you end up with will be a basket case in some sense, but never take it personal.

Preach it brotha! All nuckin futs!!

At the Amerks game last n

In all due respect to the 4 female posters here....all broads are nuts. The older you get, the more you understand. Doesn't stop the hurt, and the one you end up with will be a basket case in some sense, but never take it personal.

Preach it brotha! All nuckin futs!!

At the Amerks game last night, I got beers with a bud. Wife goes to get food at different concession. Nothing was said about where of when we'd meet up again. This was 10 minutes before puck drop. I figured she'd know enough to look at the tickets, which she had in her possession, and meet us at the seats. Nope.

I get a text, "where are you".

I reply "at seats."

"Where's that"

"Look at your ticket"

"I'm not a retard"

OKAY then...

So people possibly getting beaned by the beer cans is a good thing?

Why isn't booing enough?

Archived