Sabres waive Corey Tropp

Hoss

Fine with me.

He tries hard, but came back early from a blown knee, has multiple concussions, and was a marginal player before these issues. I think it's more a case of long term damaged goods versus potential offensive production.

I actually doubt he gets claimed.

My guess is Patty isn't too crazy about players with a concussion history, and with good reason.

If he got a raw deal...it was from the Sabres medical staff. One of the craziest things I have seen was them rushing Roy back for a desperation 1st round playoff game when the guy obviously was nowhere near being ready to play. Everyone claimed Tropp was "well ahead of schedule" last year with his knee...then he had to abort. He hasn't looked nearly the same player to me this year as he did in the past. His heart was willing....

The same medical staff who let Connolly sit for entire season, before someone came up with the brilliant idea : "Hey, why not crack his neck once or twice, maybe that's the problem?".

Let's put a legit NHL top line together before we start worrying about whether or not Tropp should be here or not. They can do whatever the heck they want this year and I won't flinch.

I agree. This year is wasted it's just about putting a little respect back into the organization by putting forth a solid effort on the ice. I'm not expecting much next year as well. And to be honest with you I would much rather lose the lottery this year and win it next year. The big prize is McDavid in 2015.

What! I still have him as top 6 (and coincidentally he currently is on default NHL14 roster). He looked great when they called him up the first time in 2012. Then the lock out, then the dominant 1st game in stocked AHL last year until injury. Then long slow rehab, then 4th line with John Scott. ugh. Toughness, speed, finishing skill, work ethic. The decision to fight that Maple Leaf wasn't too bright, so maybe that's the problem, smarts. Regardless, bad move I say.

I would have waived Flynn first

Most definitely. Or Scott.

I would have waived Flynn first

Wouldn't be shocked to see that soon. I think Teddy and Patty are doing triage right now. Giving a once over on the marginal guys, and for talent, heart, or age reasons....will be shuffling and auditioning.

The reason you will see Stafford, Myers, Ennis and Lieno get some time is that they have shown the ability to be top half NHL players in talent in the past. It's worth it to try some hugs and kicks in the ass before a final decision is made. Plus the new GM will want a say I'm sure.

Looks good to me. Kid is a constant injury risk with the style of game he plays.

That's been my impression as well. I wish him luck, but, if we want the Sabres to win a Cup, we have to go along with the "difficult" decisions.

According to your signature you don't care if we lose every game for a couple of more years. Why would waiving an average player bother you? I don't think we'll be yelling, I wish Tropp was still here anytime soon.

Correct. What's worse, waiving Tropp, or tanking for several seasons? Hmmm. If we want the Sabres to win a Cup, we have to go along with the "difficult" decisions. I think waiving Tropp isn't too hard to accept versus several seasons of "suffering".

Wouldn't be shocked to see that soon. I think Teddy and Patty are doing triage right now. Giving a once over on the marginal guys, and for talent, heart, or age reasons....will be shuffling and auditioning.

The reason you will see Stafford, Myers, Ennis and Lieno get some time is that they have shown the ability to be top half NHL players in talent in the past. It's worth it to try some hugs and kicks in the ass before a final decision is made. Plus the new GM will want a say I'm sure.

Nolan has all but gushed about Flynn's effort and intelligence in some pressers, and I would bet (if I were a betting man) others will/would be waived before Flynn is.

Part of the problem with the previous GM was that he held on to players too long hoping that they would either "come of age" or "make a comeback". Potential means nothing - it's the on-ice performance that counts. Nolan is looking for results. Sure, Tropp may have (and may still) work his way back to his previous "potential" but right now you've got a fan base that expects a hard-working team that wins occasionally. I too am not sure D'Agostini is any improvment over Tropp, but we'll see...

Kevin Porter? Maybe you are messing with me but Flynn has played in every game this season. Ugh!

Kevin Porter should have known at the home opener he wouldn't be here long. He was introduced as Kyle Porter on the scoreboard. That person should be let go by the way. They did it again recently with someone else but I can't recall who. That just strikes me as incompetent employees in a position that should know the proper spelling etc 100% of the time. It's not that hard is it considering the resources that person would have available to them?

And it's not in a good way. It's not one of those surprises where you're like "they're clearing out the old garbage" and bringing in some fresh faces." Unfortunately, it's a young player who could've had a future in this league. They'll be lucky if he isn't claimed.

Oh stop it already. There was nothing special about Tropp. Just another bottom sixer is all.

I agree. Flynn isn't that bad of a player especially for not being drafted.

Flynn reminds me a bit of Clarke McArthur. Let's see if he can pot 20 or so once the elite talent is brought in and the chemistry begins to gel among the linemates.

bogus move if he gets claimed. the guy plays hard, does exactly what he's asked to do and more (remember when he destroyed Rinaldo?). he worked his ass off for pretty much a year and a half to come back from two devastating injuries, then it takes all of 9 games for Buffalo to decide he's not good enough? it's unfair to Tropp and i feel bad for him. i think he'll be a regular in the NHL someday if injuries don't derail his career further.

if no one claims him then no biggie.. i can live with him in rochester as I know he'll earn a call-up in the future.

Archived