Sabres waive Corey Tropp

Hoss

TBN: Tropp thankful for time in Buffalo, eager to show Sabres they made a mistake

"I was a little disappointed with what transpired," Tropp told The Buffalo News by phone. "It was an honor to be a Sabre. One of my greatest memories is my first game I ever played at home. It was real excitement.

"They were great to me and gave me an opportunity to get my first NHL games and help me grow as a person on and off the ice. I’m just very thankful for all the help they’ve given me while I was here."

"I was just trying to have the mind-set of wherever I end up or wherever I go I wanted to make sure I prove to them that it’s a mistake," Tropp told The News. "I’m a passionate player, and I think that shows in my play. It was definitely tough getting the news yesterday, but it’s exciting to have a good opportunity in front of me.

"At the end of the day, I’ve got to go out and hopefully make Buffalo regret making that move."

Probably about as many, if not more, than D'Agostini will for the rest of his career. Which is all that matters. The impact they'll have for the rest of their careers.

Nope. All that matters is which one brings more value to the team. Injury prone hard worker that projects out to 4th (possibly 3rd) liner or meh vet that could get the kids on this team to buy into TN's program. TN's comfortable with him. Tropp brings no intangibles at this moment. D'Agostini might bring some. TN apparently thinks so.

Tropp is easily replaceable by the time this team is any good. The same could be said for D'Agostini.

I hope Tropp spends the rest of his career convincing the Sabres they made a mistake. I sincerely mean that.

But that has little to do with the NOW of the matter, which is the Sabres have plenty of Corry Tropps already. Whether he came back too soon from his knee injury or not, he was a -8 in the nine games he played. Given the nature of the regime change, the need to make evaluations faster than before, the nature of the players in the pipeline, and Nolan's propensity for a certain kind of player, it's no surprise he would have wanted D'Agostini when he had the chance.

There's no need to pretend that Tropp was going to be a cornerstone of any rebuild moving forward.

GO SABRES!!!

Nope. All that matters is which one brings more value to the team. Injury prone hard worker that projects out to 4th (possibly 3rd) liner or meh vet that could get the kids on this team to buy into TN's program. TN's comfortable with him. Tropp brings no intangibles at this moment. D'Agostini might bring some. TN apparently thinks so.

Tropp is easily replaceable by the time this team is any good. The same could be said for D'Agostini.

You agreed with my while disagreeing with me. That's what I'm saying. The impact and "value" is the same exact thing...

You see the possibility of a terribly mediocre player having any remote impact on kids for the remainder of this season to be more important than the possibility of a young player who continues working hard and gets healthy before turning into a legitimate bottom six player who makes the team harder to play against. (See, I can make it sound like we know exactly what either player will do for their teams, too).

I don't buy this whole "D'Agostini could be a teacher and get kids to buy into Nolan's system." This is D'Agostini's first day in the system, and he'll have to learn it and then buy into it right along with everybody else. And we have NO idea what kind of "teacher" he is. He's played on a lot of bad teams. Teacher may not be on his resume.

You agreed with my while disagreeing with me. That's what I'm saying. The impact and "value" is the same exact thing...

You see the possibility of a terribly mediocre player having any remote impact on kids for the remainder of this season to be more important than the possibility of a young player who continues working hard and gets healthy before turning into a legitimate bottom six player who makes the team harder to play against. (See, I can make it sound like we know exactly what either player will do for their teams, too).

I don't buy this whole "D'Agostini could be a teacher and get kids to buy into Nolan's system." This is D'Agostini's first day in the system, and he'll have to learn it and then buy into it right along with everybody else. And we have NO idea what kind of "teacher" he is. He's played on a lot of bad teams. Teacher may not be on his resume.

Why don't we just dispense with "teacher" or any other label and just go with "Nolan's preference" at the moment? That's really all this is about. And as head coach, that's his prerogative. Like it or not.

GO SABRES!!!

We're the worst team in the league by far... If we swap marginal player for marginal player, I don't think it matters too much. Tropp wasn't very good this year (-8 in 9 games) and clearly Teddy doesn't trust him.

BTW - I'd like to think that guys like Tropp and D'Agostini are just place holders until Armia is ready to play in Buffalo.

yeaaa, when he dresses for Buffalo, D'agostini will have played for 4 teams since January. sounds like a real locker room guy. a savvy veteran even!

....no, i'll take tropp 10/10 times. not saying he'll be a superstar or anything but like I said in my last post, the dude gave it his all and got a couple of tough breaks with pretty serious injuries. tearing an ACL one year and breaking your jaw in a fight isn't really being "injury prone." this move is BS to Tropp, the only good part being that he'll go play for a better team. but it's still a stupid, unfair, bush league move by the Sabres imo.

on a side note i'm surprised at some of the posters here defending the move... some of the same people who absolutely lost it when Tim Kennedy, a much more useless player at a time when we had little need for a player like him, was bought out. and the same people who made a big deal about Pominville not being honored in his return to Buffalo... but now that it's Pat and Ted Nolan calling the shots, every move is a great move!

We're the worst team in the league by far... If we swap marginal player for marginal player, I don't think it matters too much. Tropp wasn't very good this year (-8 in 9 games) and clearly Teddy doesn't trust him.

BTW - I'd like to think that guys like Tropp and D'Agostino are just place holders until Armia is ready to play in Buffalo.

The Sabres have a many place holders. These guys are interchangeable 4th line players.

yeaaa, when he dresses for Buffalo, D'agostini will have played for 4 teams since January. sounds like a real locker room guy. a savvy veteran even!

....no, i'll take tropp 10/10 times. not saying he'll be a superstar or anything but like I said in my last post, the dude gave it his all and got a couple of tough breaks with pretty serious injuries. tearing an ACL one year and breaking your jaw in a fight isn't really being "injury prone." this move is BS to Tropp, the only good part being that he'll go play for a better team. but it's still a stupid, unfair, bush league move by the Sabres imo.

on a side note i'm surprised at some of the posters here defending the move... some of the same people who absolutely lost it when Tim Kennedy, a much more useless player at a time when we had little need for a player like him, was bought out. and the same people who made a big deal about Pominville not being honored in his return to Buffalo... but now that it's Pat and Ted Nolan calling the shots, every move is a great move!

I do not care how many tough breaks Tropp has had, he is not an NHL player right now, even on the 4th line. He has been bad. Maybe he can recover his game in Rochester. I wish him luck, but he does not belong in the NHL right now. He will not be the last Sabre to suffer this fate in the next month or two.

I do not care how many tough breaks Tropp has had, he is not an NHL player right now, even on the 4th line. He has been bad. Maybe he can recover his game in Rochester. I wish him luck, but he does not belong in the NHL right now. He will not be the last Sabre to suffer this fate in the next month or two.

He's played 9 games this season -- there's players on this team who have played far worse for far longer, but you're gonna tell me Tropp is the problem. Ok. If he's been bad, bench him until he can take that stupid full shield off. You really think D'Agostini is going to be any better? There's more to being a "veteran leader" (or whatever bogus spin they put on this) than just being a veteran.. lol.

No, I don't agree with you. By the time this team is any good, Tropp is easily replaceable and D'Agostini is gone. You looking at the future value of what they do is immaterial. This move was about the present and bringing in a player that TN is comfortable with. Period.

I expect the Sabres thought he'd clear waivers. Too bad he didn't, but good for him. If Columbus decides to send him down, the Sabres can get him back. If they don't send him down, he gets to continue to live the dream.

They're tinkering right now, but they don't have a GM in place yet. When they get 1, then we'll see some moves that are geared toward more than this year alone.

He's played 9 games this season -- there's players on this team who have played far worse for far longer, but you're gonna tell me Tropp is the problem. Ok. If he's been bad, bench him until he can take that stupid full shield off. You really think D'Agostini is going to be any better? There's more to being a "veteran leader" (or whatever bogus spin they put on this) than just being a veteran.. lol.

This move was about bringing in a guy that TN is comfortable with.

Nothing more. It wasn't about Tropp, other than they thought he could clear through to Ra-cha-cha.

Why don't we just dispense with "teacher" or any other label and just go with "Nolan's preference" at the moment? That's really all this is about. And as head coach, that's his prerogative. Like it or not.

GO SABRES!!!

Why dispense with "Teacher"? He worked with Ted and was a teacher at one of Teds schools, he knows Ted and what Ted wants, its not like this is someone who has never had ties to Nolan in the past

They waived an easily replaceable player who at best looked like they would be a decent 4th liner, MAYBE a mediocre 3rd line player if he develops and brought in a decent 4th liner, maybe at best a mediocre 3rd line veteran with ties to Nolan and teaching. The idea is to get someone here who is familiar with how Nolan works

Its a "who cares" move, theres plenty of Corey Tropps available out there every year, its not like they cut Grigs or Girgs to bring in D'Agostini.

Why dispense with "Teacher"? He worked with Ted and was a teacher at one of Teds schools, he knows Ted and what Ted wants, its not like this is someone who has never had ties to Nolan in the past

They waived an easily replaceable player who at best looked like they would be a decent 4th liner, MAYBE a mediocre 3rd line player if he develops and brought in a decent 4th liner, maybe at best a mediocre 3rd line veteran with ties to Nolan and teaching. The idea is to get someone here who is familiar with how Nolan works

Its a "who cares" move, theres plenty of Corey Tropps available out there every year, its not like they cut Grigs or Girgs to bring in D'Agostini.

It's not even benching Satan for Ed Ronan.

I'm not arguing the merits of the move one way or the other. We agree, we have a dozen Cory Tropps already. My point is we don't have to spend any time trying to figure out what role D'Agostini will play or not when the bottom line is that Ted Nolan prefers him over Tropp. Simple as that.

GO SABRES!!!

No, I don't agree with you. By the time this team is any good, Tropp is easily replaceable and D'Agostini is gone. You looking at the future value of what they do is immaterial. This move was about the present and bringing in a player that TN is comfortable with. Period.

The part that you pointed out that you disagreed with was actually the part I meant you agreed with. You said "nope" when talking about what I said about their value for the rest of their careers... And then went on to use a different word for value.

You agree with that. We just disagree on where the value is.

And since when are we making decisions about the now? This team is done.

And you can't argue that he was brought in as a teacher, but then say it's about now. That'd also be a move about the future.

Can we stop saying that this is a guy he's comfortable with? We have no idea what the relationship is. We're basing that off D'Agostini being at a camp a while back. That could've just been a case of convenience and availability.

Read some of the posts here. He won't get a shot in Rochester. He's off to Columbus. He got claimed early on in the waiver order, and I'm sure multiple other teams would've made a claim.

Archived