Sabres waive Corey Tropp

Hoss

Well now there's a genuine surprise.

And it's not in a good way. It's not one of those surprises where you're like "they're clearing out the old garbage" and bringing in some fresh faces." Unfortunately, it's a young player who could've had a future in this league. They'll be lucky if he isn't claimed.

Don't like it, but on a team this bad anyone is fair game, especially depth guys like Tropp.

If you're talking trades and older guys then definitely. But just letting young players walk so you can claim a one-year stop gap makes no sense.

There is a pall hanging over this franchise. That lockerroom has got to be very unsettled.

I'm thinking it might be some stuff that happened in the locker room. It's not like he didn't give 100% effort.

If you're talking trades and older guys then definitely. But just letting young players walk so you can claim a one-year stop gap makes no sense.

I can agree with this but I don't see much upside in Troop either.

My issue with this is:

The new regime does it and it's "nobody is off limits" and that he wasn't very good.

The old regime does this and it's "Tropp is one of the few guys who gives effort every night and D'Agostini is a worse Drew Stafford."

Fine with me.

He tries hard, but came back early from a blown knee, has multiple concussions, and was a marginal player before these issues. I think it's more a case of long term damaged goods versus potential offensive production.

I actually doubt he gets claimed.

I'm not gonna lose sleep if another team picks him up. Big deal he isn't a player that's gonna do anything big anyways.

I'm not gonna lose sleep if another team picks him up. Big deal he isn't a player that's gonna do anything big anyways.

He looked like a potential 3rd line grinder who could chip in 12-15 goals over time....but he looks toasted to me.

I appreciate his effort and you hate to see it not work out....but yeah, might as well keep auditioning guys.

Renaud Lavoie@LavoieRenaud2m

Waivers: Corey Tropp (BUF)

What a terrible move. D'Agostini brought in so we can waive a player that might actually have a future with this team. If he gets claimed this team will regret it.

According to your signature you don't care if we lose every game for a couple of more years. Why would waiving an average player bother you? I don't think we'll be yelling, I wish Tropp was still here anytime soon.

I figured this was a way to get him down to the farm and let him work his way back from there. Personally, I think he got a raw deal being stuck on the fourth line with the likes of John Scott. Most likely not in the ling term plans anyways.

I think we might see a few more of these types of moves before too long. Nolan's going to judge whether players are the right for the high-effort roster, especially players in positions that are low skill and extra intensity. He'll happily slaughter the sheep.

I admire Corey Tropp's efforts, but there's nothing so special about his game, especially lately, as to keep him. If no one else wants him, he gets to go to the A and keep working on his game.

I figured this was a way to get him down to the farm and let him work his way back from there. Personally, I think he got a raw deal being stuck on the fourth line with the likes of John Scott. Most likely not in the ling term plans anyways.

If he got a raw deal...it was from the Sabres medical staff. One of the craziest things I have seen was them rushing Roy back for a desperation 1st round playoff game when the guy obviously was nowhere near being ready to play. Everyone claimed Tropp was "well ahead of schedule" last year with his knee...then he had to abort. He hasn't looked nearly the same player to me this year as he did in the past. His heart was willing....

He looked like a potential 3rd line grinder who could chip in 12-15 goals over time....but he looks toasted to me.

I appreciate his effort and you hate to see it not work out....but yeah, might as well keep auditioning guys.

Couldn't agree more. Before the knee injury and concussion, I would have been slightly annoyed. Now he's a shell of who he use to be and that wasn't all that great to begin with.

Love the kid but he's not going to be missed.

Archived