OT: SabreSpace Witch Hunt

nfreeman

Well, here's an interesting article showing that sports organizations do indeed visit and post on fan message boards in an attempt to spin things their way:http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-terps-big-ten-1107-20131106,0,2282119.story

The University of Maryland anticipated most fans would initially react "emotionally and negatively" to last year's decision to join the Big Ten Conference. So the school sought to influence the debate with a plan to lobby media pundits and plant positive comments into fan message boards.

Lee Zeidman, the corporate communications consultant who helped Maryland draft letters and talking points, said Wednesday that it is "standard operating procedure" in the business world to weigh in directly on message boards. "There are special PR agencies who work in the digital space who bombard blogs and newspaper sites where no one puts their name," Zeidman said.

I guess I'm posting this because I'm curious as to whether this goes on here. I'm not prepared to accuse any of the DR defenders directly yet, but be forewarned: the angry mob is watching you.

In all seriousness, there was a dude who showed up briefly a few years ago to passionately defend one of the cable companies and, when asked whether he was doing so professionally, would not give a straight answer. So I think it's happened -- but I'm not sure I've seen any posts here that seem like Sabres PR "#blueprint" spin.

Keep an eye out for the 5th column.

Well, here's an interesting article showing that sports organizations do indeed visit and post on fan message boards in an attempt to spin things their way:http://www.baltimore...0,2282119.story

[/background][/left][/color]

I guess I'm posting this because I'm curious as to whether this goes on here. I'm not prepared to accuse any of the DR defenders directly yet, but be forewarned: the angry mob is watching you.

In all seriousness, there was a dude who showed up briefly a few years ago to passionately defend one of the cable companies and, when asked whether he was doing so professionally, would not give a straight answer. So I think it's happened -- but I'm not sure I've seen any posts here that seem like Sabres PR "#blueprint" spin.

Funny you bring this up as on Colbert at the beginning of the week he talked about how Fox News has done a similar thing going out into public forums and message boards, comment sections as well and actively and aggressively championing the network. I would guess other networks do the same thing.

Well, here's an interesting article showing that sports organizations do indeed visit and post on fan message boards in an attempt to spin things their way:http://www.baltimore...0,2282119.story

I am positive there are members of the Sabres organization who post here frequently, and also on TwoBillsDrive. Are they instructed to by the Sabres, I would bet they are not. Mainly do it because they are fans as well and like to talk about their team and employer. I think over the years I have seen people that appear to be very close to both organizations posting in both positive and negative lights.

I have no doubt that Sabres reps, and possibly even reps from other teams, visit this forum.

Their level of interaction with the regulars is up for discussion though. We know this forum is a little bit...uh...special when it comes to how we treat newcomers, especially those who come crashing in with huge posts and strong opinions on things. If there were a Sabres rep here, trying to push a positive agenda on us, I'd imagine they'd have to keep their tone somewhat relaxed in order to avoid being completely run out of town right away.

Basically what I'm saying is this forum is Thunderdome and there's no way a Sabres rep is winning any battles around here. :P

I have no doubt that Sabres reps, and possibly even reps from other teams, visit this forum.

Their level of interaction with the regulars is up for discussion though. We know this forum is a little bit...uh...special when it comes to how we treat newcomers, especially those who come crashing in with huge posts and strong opinions on things. If there were a Sabres rep here, trying to push a positive agenda on us, I'd imagine they'd have to keep their tone somewhat relaxed in order to avoid being completely run out of town right away.

Basically what I'm saying is this forum is Thunderdome and there's no way a Sabres rep is winning any battles around here. :P

Oh crap they know! :unsure: :bag:

Swamp designed the new third jerseys right? :P

I can't wait until they hit the ice and blow your mind at how cool they look,… what's that, Ted? Hold on a minute, I'm SabreSpacin'. What do you want me to tell'em about the 2 Russian kids sittin' again?…

I absolutely think it goes on here. I also think it's pretty dumb, unless their only job is to correct misinformation. As we all know, changing someone's opinion on a message board is an exercise in futility.

I think you should rethink this theory of yours. :)

Ya don't say?

I'm not sure how many outright employees post here, but you can tell when there is a "special relationship" between a poster and members of the organization, or the organization itself many times. I guess an employee or PR guy can pose as something else, and not be over the top obvious in their defense of the team...but there aren't many that can pull that off for very long in this climate. Eventually, if you have a good memory and are observant enough, you can figure things out.

Usually when someone makes good points, and an "intelligent" poster resorts to personal insults and trying to discredit someone....that's a good clue. I really learned that on the Bills political board. People usually need to "protect" something by doing so. A job, or a friend in a job, or perks....but sometime it is just a passionate fan trying to protect their denial....which I can forgive.

I told the story before about posting on a financial message board of a company and I organized a shareholder pow-wow before I went to an annual meeting where I was going to confront management. As I was signing in at the desk, the CEO smiled and called me by my board handle as he outstretched his hand. It was actually a good icebreaker as we were both laughing. Didn't stop us from filing a hostile proxy and getting on the board.....but I learned back then how hands on things can be.

I'm absolutely positive if I was out at a bar and introduced myself as "Ghost of DD" to pretty much anyone at GR, or Bucky/Harrington, or Teddy....I'd probably get a smile, and then I'd buy them a drink. I'm not sure Darcy reads any of this....he probably would think I'm the antichrist. I'd buy him a Fuzzy Navel though.

Can't say I've seen anything obvious here but I am sure they pay attention to what the opinions are on the various frums.

Absolutely. You can tell Ted Black reads the opinions and even changes his approach week to week on how he talks. This place is like a free political focus group for him. You can tell just how he will switch out different terms, or hammer home a conciliatory talking point a few times to throw the fans a bone when the heat is up. He wasn't doing that a few years ago though.....he'd be right along with a few disparaging remarks like "Negativity Bubble", and making fun of Brian Burke.....he knew the tone and mood of the fans and felt he could get away with it. Now he talks as if he is at a wake as not to make people angry if he is "cheery" as they tank, or even consciously/subconsciously for a bit of pity.

I will also bet you dollars to donuts he told Darcy to make sure he dropped a few "not to insult the fans"...and "I know the fans hurt"....in his last presser. I've known Darcy for 17 years. When he pulls stuff like that, it's like the kid buttering up the parent...and the parent knows he's about to ask to stay out late.

Ya don't say?

I'm not sure how many outright employees post here, but you can tell when there is a "special relationship" between a poster and members of the organization, or the organization itself many times. I guess an employee or PR guy can pose as something else, and not be over the top obvious in their defense of the team...but there aren't many that can pull that off for very long in this climate. Eventually, if you have a good memory and are observant enough, you can figure things out.

Usually when someone makes good points, and an "intelligent" poster resorts to personal insults and trying to discredit someone....that's a good clue. I really learned that on the Bills political board. People usually need to "protect" something by doing so. A job, or a friend in a job, or perks....but sometime it is just a passionate fan trying to protect their denial....which I can forgive.

I told the story before about posting on a financial message board of a company and I organized a shareholder pow-wow before I went to an annual meeting where I was going to confront management. As I was signing in at the desk, the CEO smiled and called me by my board handle as he outstretched his hand. It was actually a good icebreaker as we were both laughing. Didn't stop us from filing a hostile proxy and getting on the board.....but I learned back then how hands on things can be.

I'm absolutely positive if I was out at a bar and introduced myself as "Ghost of DD" to pretty much anyone at GR, or Bucky/Harrington, or Teddy....I'd probably get a smile, and then I'd buy them a drink. I'm not sure Darcy reads any of this....he probably would think I'm the antichrist. I'd buy him a Fuzzy Navel though.

To your point about local media types, we know a few have posted here before (or tried) and were quickly shown the door because they didn't understand how forums work. I wonder how well any of them even grasp some of the discussions we have here? You'd think someone would take a chance with the wild conspiracy theory anti-Pegula stuff, right? It's not like they aren't already muckraking.

Can't say I've seen anything obvious here but I am sure they pay attention to what the opinions are on the various frums.

That's how I see it, too. I actually would imagine that the organization discourages--if not outright forbids--employees from posting here.

Absolutely. You can tell Ted Black reads the opinions and even changes his approach week to week on how he talks. This place is like a free political focus group for him. You can tell just how he will switch out different terms, or hammer home a conciliatory talking point a few times to throw the fans a bone when the heat is up. He wasn't doing that a few years ago though.....he'd be right along with a few disparaging remarks like "Negativity Bubble", and making fun of Brian Burke.....he knew the tone and mood of the fans and felt he could get away with it. Now he talks as if he is at a wake as not to make people angry if he is "cheery" as they tank, or even consciously/subconsciously for a bit of pity.

I will also bet you dollars to donuts he told Darcy to make sure he dropped a few "not to insult the fans"...and "I know the fans hurt"....in his last presser. I've known Darcy for 17 years. When he pulls stuff like that, it's like the kid buttering up the parent...and the parent knows he's about to ask to stay out late.

Wonder if Rational Loss Theory helped to lead the Sabres management to Tank Nation and the idea that they needed to bottom out because the simply lacked the high end talent to win... That was a huge topic on this board this past year and obviously this year.

If they do read occasionally it wouldn't be surprising. This is probably the best analysis and discussion about the team outside of the actual meetings DR and company have with eachother. Hell we even have advance stats here. I actually am fairly certain that a group of posters from here could run the team as Gm better than what is currently going on. I will not say who because we don't need the egos boasted but I think 5-10 on here could make an effective GM Board.

There was a very well-spoken, considered new poster who showed up here a few months ago, whose voice seemed ... well, I had my suspicions. He hasn't posted in a dog's age, but his profile shows that he's been lurking.

On further review, he's a buddy of Vanek-Man's, so there goes that theory.

I think. :huh:

EDIT: If anyone does post here on behalf of the franchise, I suspect they're a member of (intern at) an outside PR firm, not someone in-house.

There is no better example than Amerks6 (or was it Amerks8?). I miss Taro's interactions with him.

6. But yeah, those were epic...

I'd be really surprised if there not at least one intern/low-level PR hack that is tasked with reading this board on a daily basis.

Archived