OT: SabreSpace Witch Hunt

nfreeman

Fo sho.

In fact, he was the guy I suspected being behind the account I described above. The timing was right, too, when it came to his being hired away from Gawker and the poster joining this board.

What was his user name?

I get the feeling that Craig doesn't quite have the ego/chutzpah to hang here as a poster. I'm sure he's smart though.

To your point about local media types, we know a few have posted here before (or tried) and were quickly shown the door because they didn't understand how forums work. I wonder how well any of them even grasp some of the discussions we have here? You'd think someone would take a chance with the wild conspiracy theory anti-Pegula stuff, right? It's not like they aren't already muckraking.

Over the years I have seen what I believe is the media/radio running with stuff on here. They are all respectful for the most part in how they do it. There may be issues where the subject is a little off the norm, and they gain confidence if they see it talked about here. Hamilton has said stuff with confidence that I firmly believes he believed himself, but opinion here gave him cover. Schopp will use things for discussion, but will almost do a 180 on how he attacks the subject to make it his own and not blatantly lift an idea. Bulldog will talk and either support or counter something directly worded from here. Gleason will use this as a temperature taker, and use his own writing style to build around the mood or a few points. It's all good in my opinion. I don't see or hear everyone, so not sure who else may use this place as a tool.

We can say stuff here that those guys probably don't want to chance saying. Not to sound like a total narcissist D-bag, but I always try to be truthful and entertaining as I present some things that many wouldn't usually think about. I would hope the media guys would enjoy my posts...sometimes they may agree or be intrigued and look into something....sometimes they may think I'm a nutbag...but I try to say the things they probably wish they could say without risking their jobs. Now as a member of a posting community.....that makes me over the top at times...but for them I hope it's a little bit of a guilty pleasure.

I know you have said in the past that we have no control over things here so we can't bring about change. I totally disagree. We know this team and the personalities involved. When I speculate that Bob McKenzie has preferred status with the Sabres because of his fluff piece on Pegula during the Penn St. scandal where he totally ignored Benson....people will scoff. But then I hear Teddy on GR joking about twitter, and he gave up the golden goose. I find Ted, and the first 3 follows are LeBrun, McKenzie, THEN the Buffalo Sabres. Sure it's a little bit of psychology and reading things, but the breadcrumbs are there. If you can identify things.....then just like the reasoning behind this thread....it makes sense for the Sabres to control the dialogue about the team....and what better way to do so than through the media? Wawrow used to do it for Quinn in my opinion. When you start to put things together, and can then say "I see you!!!"....and enough of the public catches on over time to where what seems like outlandish opinion about someone or something at first is eventually revealed as fact...well, then something may have to be done.

Many posters here have wondered how I myself can be so seemingly negative about the team for so long and still show up. It is because the truth eventually always comes out if enough people are willing to see it. A lot of stuff is opinion, but there are plenty of facts that form it. I don't think Darcy Regier is a bad person. He is a survivor first and foremost when it comes to his job though. Does he want to win a Stanley Cup? Sure...that would be nice.....but goal #1 has always been to never take a big enough chance to make a fire-worthy mistake. It's only through exposing facts over time that maybe...just maybe...if there is any logic up top....we see a change.

We WILL....outlast the oppression, and eventually see a Free State of Sabredom once again!!!

Oh sh!t....I'm out of coffee......

What was his user name?

I get the feeling that Craig doesn't quite have the ego/chutzpah to hang here as a poster. I'm sure he's smart though.

I'm gonna let that sleeping dog lie, especially now that I see V-M described him as a friend IRL.

In terms of ego/chutzpah, I never saw that as a criterion for being an active poster here.

I'm gonna let that sleeping dog lie, especially now that I see V-M described him as a friend IRL.

In terms of ego/chutzpah, I never saw that as a criterion for being an active poster here.

To expand on the last part, you have to be the kind of person who isn't afraid of voicing opinions and then defending them. Not everyone wants to do that or is comfortable doing that.

We're all comfortable because we've been here forever. But this place is quite a challenge to anyone who perhaps isn't ready for a fight.

To expand on the last part, you have to be the kind of person who isn't afraid of voicing opinions and then defending them. Not everyone wants to do that or is comfortable doing that.

We're all comfortable because we've been here forever. But this place is quite a challenge to anyone who perhaps isn't ready for a fight.

You have no basis for this nonsense. You've again pull some crazy theory out of thin are and are just trying to repeat it until it becomes "true-ish". Go away, no one will miss you. (We'll keep Josie)

All organizations of any size strategically monitor what is said about their product(s) on popular public forums. Some interject on the various outlets (several companies that I work with have people specifically assigned to monitor Internet public opinion). But, I can guarantee that those at various levels of the Sabres organization have monitored this board. Have they posted? Maybe... but monitoring Internet forums is sort of a standard marketing practice these days. And, I'd be shocked if all professional teams didn't do this.

Should be simple enough to spot : I accuse anyone defending Drew Stafford :P

TrueBlue hasn't posted in this thread yet... Weird for his high frequency of posts. Maybe one of his "classes" is in session.

Almost every post is trying to influence the reader in some way. Sometimes it's influencing the reader to think harder, sometimes its narrative-driven. Anybody with organizational ties would be outed like the cable guy and Donner the Hut. We're just too special as d4rk put it :lol:

Psssh. Really? Man, that's what Internet Muscles are for. I think there are all kinds among the regulars here -- people who, IRL, are life of the party, introverted and quiet, champion of the debate team, mostly unable to formulate a single coherent thought through the spoken word, legitimately truculent, mostly effete, and so on.

As a newbie, I speak mostly in OT or game day threads. Otherwise I lurk. I read everything, but I definitely don't have the figurative balls to get into long discussions over opinions I'm not iron set on. (nor do I in real life, normally, unless d4rk is being a butt haha ) I plan on lurking until I really feel like I could hash it out for awhile. I've never been a pro at internet semantics. There are people who are, and they come in here guns a blazin', and if their manners suck, the door is there.

If I were a media person, I'd lurk. No sense in really posting much. Use the threads/comments as a nice crowdsourcing basin. Make some mental notes. But yeah, usually nothing groundbreaking to add, just a lurker:

I watch you all

Psssh. Really? Man, that's what Internet Muscles are for. I think there are all kinds among the regulars here -- people who, IRL, are life of the party, introverted and quiet, champion of the debate team, mostly unable to formulate a single coherent thought through the spoken word, legitimately truculent, mostly effete, and so on.

I've often wondered if there are any females here posting as male. I can understand why someone would be hesitant to admit they are a lady given the locker room atmosphere at times, but between all the puck bunnies in the area and the amount of just down to earth female sports fans in Buffalo...you would think that more than a half dozen or so would have the backbone to post.

But the thread that binds is a lack of fear when it comes to voicing opinions and then defending those opinions. There are many people who have come in here believing they can do that, only to find out it's not the case, often times because the knowledge of the collective overwhelms the knowledge of the individual.

As a newbie, I speak mostly in OT or game day threads. Otherwise I lurk. I read everything, but I definitely don't have the figurative balls to get into long discussions over opinions I'm not iron set on. (nor do I in real life, normally, unless d4rk is being a butt haha ) I plan on lurking until I really feel like I could hash it out for awhile. I've never been a pro at internet semantics. There are people who are, and they come in here guns a blazin', and if their manners suck, the door is there.

If I were a media person, I'd lurk. No sense in really posting much. Use the threads/comments as a nice crowdsourcing basin. Make some mental notes. But yeah, usually nothing groundbreaking to add, just a lurker:

I watch you all

:blush:

TrueBlue hasn't posted in this thread yet... Weird for his high frequency of posts. Maybe one of his "classes" is in session.

Almost every post is trying to influence the reader in some way. Sometimes it's influencing the reader to think harder, sometimes its narrative-driven. Anybody with organizational ties would be outed like the cable guy and Donner the Hut. We're just too special as d4rk put it :lol:

You'd think they would be outed but that is not always the case. I used to be a very active member on a college hockey board. I knew of several people with ties to teams or even player representatives (family advisors) who posted on that board yet no one was any the wiser. Those people were never called out. The only one's who did get accused of being a part of the team or family never actually were. If someone wants to keep their true connections quiet, they can do so very easily.

I've often wondered if there are any females here posting as male. I can understand why someone would be hesitant to admit they are a lady given the locker room atmosphere at times, but between all the puck bunnies in the area and the amount of just down to earth female sports fans in Buffalo...you would think that more than a half dozen or so would have the backbone to post.

Wouldn't shock me, personally. I don't wanna go all feministy social justice route here, but I definitely think twice about a lot of things I say on any social media dealing with sports because of my gender. You really wouldn't believe the vitriol hurled at us ladies here and there for having boobs and liking sports beyond "ohmygawd he's so cute". That doesn't seem to be the case here, which is refreshing. I didn't know what to expect. I wouldn't have found this forum without dating d4rk however, so... make of that what you will.

Maybe... but monitoring Internet forums is sort of a standard marketing practice these days. And, I'd be shocked if all professional teams didn't do this.

Yeah, it's been that way for a looooooooonnnnng time, now. This isn't new or revelatory. Every popular, and even not-so-popular message board/forum/blog-with-comments sites have been infiltrated by those seeking to shape views and opinions. Politics, news, entertainment, products, and, of course, sports all get the same treatment.

I've mentioned this in the past; there are companies whose sole function is to monitor and post to websites. Internet memes and trends are, in many cases, generated by this kind of activity.

It works so well, even the AP and Yahoo have become overt in their application of this kind of internet/opinion/viewpoint manipulation. A scan of the news services will reveal, daily, attempts at shaping narratives regardless of facts and reason. It's disgusting.

If someone wants to keep their true connections quiet, they can do so very easily.

Maybe. The sophisticated ones will mask their real IPs in some manner and do other things to hide who they are. The less-than-sophisticated will leave lots of clues if one is willing to look. I'm not going to go into detail on those, because I don't want to give the "enemy" any advantages.

Wouldn't shock me, personally. I don't wanna go all feministy social justice route here, but I definitely think twice about a lot of things I say on any social media dealing with sports because of my gender. You really wouldn't believe the vitriol hurled at us ladies here and there for having boobs and liking sports beyond "ohmygawd he's so cute". That doesn't seem to be the case here, which is refreshing. I didn't know what to expect. I wouldn't have found this forum without dating d4rk however, so... make of that what you will.

You guys better invite us to the wedding, that's all. Assuming, that is, that y'all are into the marriage thing.

Archived