Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

Who could really blame Vanek for his sentiments after toiling in the organization for ten years with a total rebuild coming. You could tell that he was feeling this way by reading between the lines of his wait and see public posture.

I don't blame him at all, and I hold no grudge whatsoever. I'm just pointing out how this proves that the whole "I'm open minded and want to see how things play out" was painfully transparent.

I don't really care if he said it or not, but I haven't seen that quote anywhere. I just Googled it, too.

He said it. Quoted on twitter. Not in any articles.

Also, Nick Kypreos (yes, the guy who said Darcy is on the hot seat) said this morning that Miller's no-trade list includes all Canadian teams. So that's seven of the eight. Who would be the eighth? Florida?

i feel like those odds are out there, somewhere. i'd be interested in seeing them.

between pominville, leopold, regehr, and now vanek, darcy's all fired up about being loaded with second rounders. again, what are the odds that 1 or more of them "hit"?

p.s. pominville was a 2nd rounder, yeah?

One guy's take: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/scott_cullen/?id=267960

Here's my favorite Vanek moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjUMeaddZEg

He had that second gear, but we didn't see it often. Same with the Around the World Move.

I was a little surprised to see that Moulson was one of the "local warriors." He grew up in MIssissauga and played college at Cornell.

I'm sure that went into Darcy's thinking. He may want to stick around and play with a sh&tty team for 5 years. And since he's fairly local, maybe his relatives will buy tickets. They should have great seats to choose from!!

I saw him play. Second best captain the Sabres ever had (I'd put Gare first), IMO.

Schoeny.

Beat me to it.

Resign moulson, Sign Ryan callahan as UFA during summer and you got yourself a nice 2nd line off Moulson - Hodgson - Callahan

Interesting. I like it. Callahan would be a great addition -- another Drury to teach the children well.

THIS. This is the reason I keep my seats. Nothing beats being there for goals and games like that one. Goosebumps and a tear.

And it's like that x10 in the playoffs. Which is why it's a freakin travesty that we are where we are.

He had that second gear, but we didn't see it often. Same with the Around the World Move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5qlA8QD8ds

Good call on the upper gear. He was faster with the puck than without it -- kinda like Pearl Washington, for those of us of a certain age.

That move on Dominik was my 2nd-favorite Vanek moment. The Sabres were having a surprisingly good post-lockout season, but Ottawa, which had a great, great team that year, had crushed them in their first 3 games of the year by a total score of 21-5, including one game with a 10-spot. They rolled into HSBC looking for another easy W. It was Dominik's first game in Buffalo as a Senator. He was playing extremely well and his team was confidently firing on all cylinders.

The Sabres team drew a line in the ice and locked up the Senators in a very intense battle. It was 1-1 going into the shootout. Miller stoned all 3 Ottawa attempts and Vanek beat Dominik with that move for the only goal.

That was when we knew we had something.

That game was why we care about the Sabres.

Vanek: "I enjoyed my time there, but I didn’t want to be a part of that.”

Thanks Tommy.

Example #103289689723434 why people should almost never take what athletes/teams/coaches say in public at face value.

Now there's a full article w/ the quote, etc. I have absolutely no problem with what he said. http://sports.yahoo....diacontentstory

I'm kinda ambivalent on this. On the one hand, it's a free country, and the players and owners agreed that the players would have free agency, and it's Vanek's right to leave at this point. On the other hand, some loyalty to the franchise and fan base that made him incredibly wealthy would be nice too.

Either way, it does seem pretty clear that he had no intention of staying -- but I have no problem with him being politic about it and not saying that publicly. That would've been an obnoxious move that would've handicapped DR in trading him.

Players react to the trade of Vanek: http://www.wgrz.com/...-to-Vanek-Trade

@BuffNewsVogl

Sabres were willing to make Thomas Vanek highest-paid player in NHL, source says, yet he'd rather have chance to win. http://blogs.buffalo...m-sabres.html …

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I believe this to be true. Moulson does not have a long term future in Buffalo. He will most likely be traded before the dealine. The Sabres should be able to get a 1st rounder at a minimum for him (plus another pick or player). This would make the deal essentially Vanek for two 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder and let's say a 3rd rounder. All things considered, considering Vanek's age and wages, this is a good deal for the Sabres.

I was always against the Sabres matching the Edmonton offer sheet for Vanek. I felt the Sabres would have been better served by getting the four 1st round picks from the Oilers at the time. Now that Vanek's career in Buffalo is over, I believe history will favor the view that taking the (4) 1st rounders would have been much better.

The Sabres are finally heading in the right direction as an organization. All the top teams suffered at the bottom of the league in the early stages of their rebuilding. Pittsburgh, Chicago and others all acquired their top talent when they were trolling the bottom of the league.

I can see definite signs the Sabres are acquiring the top talent they need to succeed. The young players like Pysyk, Zadorov, and Ristolainen are forming the backbone of a defense that may prosper for many years. Girgensons and Grigorenko are the beginnings of a rejuvenation up front. There are many very promising players in the organization like McCabe, JT Compher,Nick Baptiste and Connor Hurley who will be Sabres in several years.

The majority of fans at the moment are on the "Fire Darcy!" bandwagon, but not me. I think the change in the organization's philosophy over the last two years is very welcome and promising. It will take a little time, but I believe the rewards will be great in a few years. In the age of "I want it now!" this is not popular, but it is smart.

I will go with patience and intelligence over emotional overreaction anyday. Emotional overreaction lead to the Sabres re-signing Vanek at all costs the last time and I believe that didn't work too well even though it seemed like a good short term decision.

I am pretty certain my opinion will be in the minority right now, but in 4 or five years it will be vindicated again.

Having been agnostic about DR for a loooong time (which no doubt was viewed as DR apologist by some), this last turn toward blowing up a team he was in the process of building for only 2 years and bringing us 'suffering' has moved me firmly to the DR must go camp.

For a long time, I gave him a pass due to ownership constraints. But after having been one of only 30 guys in the club for 14 or so years, he hadn't determined how he'd go forward w/out constraints. 2 years into the new plan we're now on the rebuild plan.

I've no doubt this collection of players will become a good team in 2-3 years. It WILL NOT become a great one because DR does not have enough forethought nor wherewithal to get that good team to the level of a great team w/out a truckload of luck. His seemingly pathological obsession with winning every trade and holding off on trading until he is certain he will win the trade that is there will prevent that piece that could put the team over the top from ever being on the Sabres in a timely manner.

When this team won the PT only 1 asset was added at the deadline.

I also see no willingness / ability to adjust a plan without a complete directional overhaul. When CD & DB walked, Zubrus should have been retained; that 1 piece would have helped immensely with keeping the squad competitive.

He has not demonstrated any willingness ever to trade some of the team's future (w/ the occassional 2nd round pick as an exception) for its present and only trades top end assets under duress.

If believing you will be 'vindicated' in 4-5 years makes this easier to stomach, more power to you. Personally, I'd prefer a GM change and a pack of Rolaids. The relief will be a lot quicker.

Vogl just blogged that the Sabres were prepared to make Vanek the league's highest paid player, but he chose to go somewhere where he could compete for a championship.

Umm, paging PA to the nearest blue and gold courtesy phone -- we need a comprehensive meddling intervention STAT.

(Seriously - is that news not the most confusing and troubling thing you've heard in a long time? As @katebits just tweeted: Are we rebuilding or not?!)

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.