Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

As long as you're rooting against the Isles as well :P

The difference between whether this is a lottery top 14 pick or a 25th overall type pick is enormous. I don't care what any message board 'experts' say about how strong or weak this draft is, I'd much rather a low/mid teen pick then mid 20 pick.

Although that is very true, I wonder if the pick in near 20 or so, if Darcy/other GM would trade down with Cup Finalist/Conference Finalist and swap the NYI 1st rounder and a random 2nd rounder for their 2015 1st Rounder and their present 1st rounder. You know, stack more picks for 2015.

How about Moulson-Man with beer bottle avatar? I know...it's not the same spelling. :)

:lol:

You're a lot more creative then I am.

Resign moulson, Sign Ryan callahan as UFA during summer and you got yourself a nice 2nd line off Moulson - Hodgson - Callahan

Signing Callahan could be a hiccup into their plans of Conner McDavid.

That's the real prize right there.

If the picks pan out, then the Sabres got the best of this deal. I have no confidence that they will though. Outside of the top handful of players in each draft (give or take a few) the draft is a crap shoot. Regier has said that they are building through the draft. I take that to mean there will be very few free agents signed. We're looking at at least 3 years before contending for a playoff spot and it is 50-50 at best that we are not in the playoffs in year 4 from now. All depends on how well the sabres draft 17 & 18 year olds and how they are at 21 or 22.

@BuffaloSabres Getting questions about Vanek jerseys. @SabresStore will do complimentary nameplate exchange to Moulson through Sat.

That's nice of the Sabres to do, but I don't understand why any fan would change one of the best players in team history to what is quite possibly a few month rental. It's not like Vanek left on bad terms, I'd think wearing his jersey well into the future is acceptable on its own, and IMO much more acceptable than being stuck with a Moulson jersey.

That's nice of the Sabres to do, but I don't understand why any fan would change one of the best players in team history to what is quite possibly a few month rental. It's not like Vanek left on bad terms, I'd think wearing his jersey well into the future is acceptable on its own, and IMO much more acceptable than being stuck with a Moulson jersey.

Ding!

If the picks pan out, then the Sabres got the best of this deal. I have no confidence that they will though. Outside of the top handful of players in each draft (give or take a few) the draft is a crap shoot. Regier has said that they are building through the draft. I take that to mean there will be very few free agents signed. We're looking at at least 3 years before contending for a playoff spot and it is 50-50 at best that we are not in the playoffs in year 4 from now. All depends on how well the sabres draft 17 & 18 year olds and how they are at 21 or 22.

I've always thought the opposite. I don't think you can necessarily consider the players drafted in the deal. It's the value of the picks. A first rounder has a lot a value. That'd be like us trading Miller for a 5th rounder. At first everybody is upset, but then that player turns into one of the best players in team history. Is that a good trade? No. Say Zemgus turns out to be an absolute bust, is the Gaustad deal no longer a good one?

Also, on the idea of flipping Moulson: if he develops good chemistry with Hodgson and plays well then I say offer him somewhere near what Pominville got (5 years, $25 mill instead of $28 mill). If he takes it then you have somebody to help keep Hodgson playing at a high level, if not you deal Moulson at the deadline and hope some young guys can play with Hodgson.

I just think there needs to be a focus on making sure that there SOME immediate NHL talent to pair with Hodgson and guys like Grigorenko so they can play with confidence and improve over time.

Vanek: "I enjoyed my time there, but I didn’t want to be a part of that.”

Thanks Tommy.

Meh. People will wine about this quote, but it's nothing we didn't already know. I'm glad he came out and said it, instead of giving those that were holding out hope for him to resign some ammo to cry more.

i feel like those odds are out there, somewhere. i'd be interested in seeing them.

between pominville, leopold, regehr, and now vanek, darcy's all fired up about being loaded with second rounders. again, what are the odds that 1 or more of them "hit"?

p.s. pominville was a 2nd rounder, yeah?

Edit: To be more fair, I limited a second chart 2003-2009, since a recent 2nd round pick won't have played much

post-2405-0-00433500-1382980840_thumb.png

post-2405-0-71533600-1382981875_thumb.png

Edited by RCentered

Example #103289689723434 why people should almost never take what athletes/teams/coaches say in public at face value.

Who could really blame Vanek for his sentiments after toiling in the organization for ten years with a total rebuild coming. You could tell that he was feeling this way by reading between the lines of his wait and see public posture.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.