GDT: Toronto at Buffalo 9-21-13 at 7PM and Sabres at Leafs Sunday night

spndnchz

OK, so this is where it gets complicated. The folks over at Hockeyfights are saying that Kessel was interviewed post game. Kessel said that Scott skated up and told him that he was going to jump him. Scott told Kessel before the faceoff that he was going to jump him. I'm sure Scott expected Kessel to turtle. Well, he didn't. He went into lumberjack mode. Not sure I can blame him.

Also in the interview, Scott allegedly was talking some serious smack to the Toronto bench while Tropp was being tended to by the medical staff. Toronto coach put his finnesse line out there hoping to diffuse the situation, figuring if he didn't give Scott a target that tempers would die down.

I guess the whole damned thing backfired.

In case you guys haven't noticed, the Leafs have become the new Bruins.

Scott and Cody are going to have their hands full in November.

I hope Weber, Foligno, Kaleta and Ott are ready to help because somebody is going after Hodgson or Vanek or Ennis.

OK, so this is where it gets complicated. The folks over at Hockeyfights are saying that Kessel was interviewed post game. Kessel said that Scott skated up and told him that he was going to jump him. Scott told Kessel before the faceoff that he was going to jump him. I'm sure Scott expected Kessel to turtle. Well, he didn't. He went into lumberjack mode. Not sure I can blame him.

Also in the interview, Scott allegedly was talking some serious smack to the Toronto bench while Tropp was being tended to by the medical staff. Toronto coach put his finnesse line out there hoping to diffuse the situation, figuring if he didn't give Scott a target that tempers would die down.

I guess the whole damned thing backfired.

If Bissonette came out against Hodgson and did that, I'd hope Cody carved his eyeball out.

In case you guys haven't noticed, the Leafs have become the new Bruins.

Scott and Cody are going to have their hands full in November.

I hope Weber, Foligno, Kaleta and Ott are ready to help because somebody is going after Hodgson or Vanek or Ennis.

Yeah, I don't care for where this went, and where it may go. Tropp is already hurt. I don't care to see another player, Sabre or Leaf, get hurt.

If Bissonette came out against Hodgson and did that, I'd hope Cody carved his eyeball out.

I'll agree to some extent. Especially for Kessel's first swing of the stick while he was retreating from Scott. But while Scott was tied up by 3 other guys Kessel circles back with another 2 hander AND gave him a spear while he was tied up with the ref and Devane (not Devane but don't remember the name now). Those last two are uncalled for and suspension worthy IMO. But I can see where I'd cheer if it was Hodgson doing it against Orr.

Didn't think Kessel had that kind of aggression in him.

It seems this division is loading up on tough guys. Montreal added this offseason as well.

It is tough to see. At .15 seconds Devane seems to throw a short left, can't tell if it lands, then at .16 seconds Tropp is going down and Devane throws a punch and can't tell if that one lands either. I still can't tell if Tropp is out while he is on his way down or if the forearm shiver and him hitting the ice simultaneously is what does the damage. It is tough to tell.

It looked to me and I could be wrong but it really looked like DeVane used Tropps momentum in going down to push his head into the ice. The force of the back of his head hitting the ice is what'll keep him out.

Yeah, I don't care for where this went, and where it may go. Tropp is already hurt. I don't care to see another player, Sabre or Leaf, get hurt.

I'll agree to some extent. Especially for Kessel's first swing of the stick while he was retreating from Scott. But while Scott was tied up by 3 other guys Kessel circles back with another 2 hander AND gave him a spear while he was tied up with the ref and Devane (not Devane but don't remember the name now). Those last two are uncalled for and suspension worthy IMO. But I can see where I'd cheer if it was Hodgson doing it against Orr.

Didn't think Kessel had that kind of aggression in him.

If Rolston ever has Hodgson on the ice against Orr he should be fired for malpractice....

This donnybrook did make the regular season games a hell of a lot more interesting.

Why was Kessel still standing after all that? Dude should've been on his back with his teeth strewn all over the ice.

Because Brian Flynn/ was the one able to square up with him (Scott was under a dog pile of Leafs and a linesman who was trying to make sure Kessel would live until tomorrow). Flynn acquitted himself poorly.

After watching that video Kessel needs to be suspend u just can't two hand someone like that and than spear someone using your stick as a weapon. Should be interesting to see. League needs to make an example of Kessell. Total ###### move by Phil.

Spoiler Alert: They won't. Max suspension will be the rest of the preseason.

The NHL does not care about player safety and certainly isn't going to punish Toronto's star player for swinging his stick at a goon who plays for Buffalo.

Maybe I'm asking for too much ,.... but to me it looks like Buffalo got the short end of every one of those simultaneous fights.... that sucks.

Yeah...how does Kessel break Flynn's nose? And the only think Kessel did wrong was the first 2 hand slash against Scott...but Scott jumped him. The "spear" was the bottom of the stick lengthwise into his padding. If that deserves a suspension....Lindy deserves 18 months in Attica for Luke Adam.

Maybe I'm asking for too much ,.... but to me it looks like Buffalo got the short end of every one of those simultaneous fights.... that sucks.

Ya, ever since Rob Ray we've had several guys who like to/will fight but very few who actually can.

Sure glade one of my mini-pak games includes Nov 15 against T.O.

You're all a bunch of whiners. First everyone is mad that the Sabres wont put up a fight. And now that they're putting up a fight you don't like it?

Yeh that's kinda what I was thinking while typing my post earlier. I would kind of hope that if a full line brawl breaks out that at least one of our guys does some damage. Maybe that's asking too much though lol.

You're all a bunch of whiners. First everyone is mad that the Sabres wont put up a fight. And now that they're putting up a fight you don't like it?

Well they said there would be suffering. On the scoreboard plus the fight. It's going to be a long season. Might as well keep all the youngsters down in Rochester even Larsson this way this team can finish at the bottom. Grigs doesn't look any better than last season.

Well they said there would be suffering. On the scoreboard plus the fight. It's going to be a long season. Might as well keep all the youngsters down in Rochester even Larsson this way this team can finish at the bottom. Grigs doesn't look any better than last season. But hey season ticket sales are up. I think with Kevin Devine running the scouting department they seem to be headed in the right direction but this squad needs to beef up on guys with skill up front.

Some things I noticed last night:

* McBain has more skill and energy than I thought he would. He also made some piss-poor decisions out there. He was just like our Canes fan visitor described him.

* I love Cody McCormick. He looks back to where he was when he first arrived here, playing tough and killing penalties. He and Kaleta might be among the leagues better fourth-line combos.

* I saw more from Grigs last night than most of you seemed to. I guess I'm saying he's still not ready, but I do see more than last year. He's got hands and some sense in the offensive zone. Very weak on the boards however, and I am surprised how laboured his skating seemed. He desperately needs to be in the AHL.

* Girgensons and Risto got smacked around quite a bit. Both were on their ###### a lot. Girgensons was meh; I expected a little more skill and a little more fury. Risto was quite good though. Had the poise I look for in my Dmen.

* Pysyk deserved the love I was giving him pre-game, and I told my daughter she could marry Foligno.

* Sulzer is going to have a hard time making this team.

I'm not going to put much stock into a preseason game, but overall I liked our effort. We skated hard, played with structure and made life easy for Enroth. So far, Rolston seems to be doing a good job.

Good post. I was particularly impressed with Pysyk. Quick feet, a cool head and good decisions.

i'm torn on the whole situation kind of. first and foremost i don't get what scott was so peeved about to begin with -- i didn't watch the game but from the video it looks like Tropp was more than willing to fight, so it's not like he wanted revenge for a cheap shot or anything. but at the same time i guess when your team mate goes down injured in a fight and your job is to be "the enforcer", i can somewhat understand it.

secondly, i don't really blame kessel for hacking at scott and running away. it was actually hilarious to watch lol. but, there's no way that can't be a suspension to me... especially after taking at least 2 hacks and a little spear later on. and again i don't blame kessel, i would have done the same thing, but you have to think he'll take some flak for that one, kind of like when Semin had his little slap fight a few years ago... the "manlier", "hockey player" thing to do would have been just to turtle up and wait for the backup that was inevitably coming anyway. don't run away.. not a diss on kessel, he's one of my fav players outside of Buffalo, but what do you guys think? wasn't that kind of a b*tch move?

that was awesome to see Miller drop the gloves in a pre-season game. i would definitely be reading too much into it to say that it's a sign of him wanting to stay or anything like that, but whens the last time we saw that out of Miller? well fighting obviously never, but I mean, for Miller to engage in a fist fight , in a pre-season game no less, shows to me that he cares. so with all the talk that miller wants out ASAP, can't wait to leave buffalo, etc... it was refreshing to see him drop the gloves for his team mates, even if it wasn't necessary or anything more than a side show. or maybe he just wanted to leave us with one last fun memory

My only issue is that they are losing the fights

Gotta start somewhere. We've been screaming for this team to have a pulse. They've got one now.

Scott going after Kessel was a bush league move, of that there is no doubt. But that doesn't absolve Kessel of his response, for which he should (but won't) be suspended.

I'd love to take some sort of moral high ground on this but I just don't care. Our star players have never been exempt from anything so why should any other team's players be left alone?

Archived