GDT: Toronto at Buffalo 9-21-13 at 7PM and Sabres at Leafs Sunday night

spndnchz

I see a lot of chatter as to whether Scott's response was needed.

To me, it turns on whether or not the guy who dropped Tropp (sorry, I don't know his name) instigated (not in the 2-minute minor sense) the scrap. If a guy above Tropp's weight class made the fight happen, then I understand the feeling that the Leafs needed to answer for it. There's the argument that Tropp, in any event, could've avoided engagement, hugged it out, and there is some validity to that. But I also have some respect for Tropp, as a marginal NHLer working to make a developmental roster as a 4th liner, taking the view that he doesn't have the luxury of "letting that cup pass".

Bottom line: If in the heat of battle, the team saw one of theirs (a light heavyweight) go down in a fight started by a bruising heavyweight, then I don't know how the team is supposed to respond other than they way in which they did.

Agreed 100%.

I love this old time hockey. It is why I watch. I see way too many games by too many players playing it safe. It's boring. This felt personal.

Why not have every team at least considering that we might respond completely disproportionately to any physical aggression? Where is the disadvantage? They might try and beat up our one star, who gets beat up every year anyway?

Exactly. Every team playing against Buffalo should be worried about things going nuclear. The NHL has never protected or responded for Buffalo.

Why not have every team at least considering that we might respond completely disproportionately to any physical aggression? Where is the disadvantage? They might try and beat up our one star, who gets beat up every year anyway?

I think goons going after star players is bad for the game, period. Just because we were the bullies this time as opposed to the nerdy kid who gets beat up isn't going to make me change my opinion. Maybe "the code" dictates this is necessary, whatever, that's not going to make me glorify something I don't find entertaining.

I think goons going after star players is bad for the game, period. Just because we were the bullies this time as opposed to the nerdy kid who gets beat up isn't going to make me change my opinion. Maybe "the code" dictates this is necessary, whatever, that's not going to make me glorify something I don't find entertaining.

Until the NHL decides that they don't want it this way, then you're going to have to get used to it.

The Sabres get the same treatment every other team gets.

Exactly my point. Everyone screams "the NHL should do something!" without asking the Sabres to be the ones to answer the bell. The NHL isn't going to do anything moral with respect to fighting and thuggery. They love it.

I'll say it again, this is the game. If you don't like it go watch another sport.

Last night, I was watching the NFL game. There, if you take a swing at someone, you get tossed. Free safeties hit receivers hard enough to dislodge the football and then both players get up, pat each other on the rump and go back to the huddle. No wonder it is the most popular televised sport in the USA (and why the NHL never will be...)

Until the NHL decides that they don't want it this way, then you're going to have to get used to it.

Exactly my point. Everyone screams "the NHL should do something!" without asking the Sabres to be the ones to answer the bell. The NHL isn't going to do anything moral with respect to fighting and thuggery. They love it.

We're in agreement that the NHL is a joke and doesn't want to change this, and as a result you have to protect your own. I just disagree that last night was thuggery which called for thuggery in response.

We're in agreement that the NHL is a joke and doesn't want to change this, and as a result you have to protect your own. I just disagree that last night was thuggery which called for thuggery in response.

But this wasn't a clean check that was responded to with a fight. This was a heavyweight goon going after a middleweight non-goon in response to the middleweight's team scoring 2 quick goals. That was an act of thuggery by the Leafs.

Last night, I was watching the NFL game. There, if you take a swing at someone, you get tossed. Free safeties hit receivers hard enough to dislodge the football and then both players get up, pat each other on the rump and go back to the huddle. No wonder it is the most popular televised sport in the USA (and why the NHL never will be...)

I completely agree with you. I want fighting banned and retributive actions severely punished. But the NHL will never do that.

Because there was nothing to respond to and having your best player against the other team's worst is a smart matchup? Tropp lost a fight he willingly participated in. Why in the hell does that necessitate our goon going after their best player?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKYQx3W-H8g&feature=share&list=UUxplsYwPGQVKyiopBAdCMYA

Yes Tropp is a willingly participant. Yes he lost. The problem is Devane knew that troop was out on his feet and proceeded to hit him again and then drive his body to the ice with a forearm shiver to his head.

You see guys go out on their feet all the time but the winner lets them fall slowly to the ice, even holding them up so they don't hurt the guy as he falls.

Like this:

http://youtu.be/KoBXfD2oHRg

But this wasn't a clean check that was responded to with a fight. This was a heavyweight goon going after a middleweight non-goon in response to the middleweight's team scoring 2 quick goals. That was an act of thuggery by the Leafs.

Both parties agreed to fight. Devane didn't clock Tropp out of nowhere, or decide to drive his head through the glass from behind. A heavyweight fighting a middleweight is not by default an act of thuggery.

Both parties agreed to fight. Devane didn't clock Tropp out of nowhere, or decide to drive his head through the glass from behind. A heavyweight fighting a middleweight is not by default an act of thuggery.

I don't agree. A heavyweight goon is not supposed to pursue and instigate a fight with a middleweight non-goon. Acceptance of the invitation by the middleweight does not "cleanse" the thuggery.

It's good to be back.

Good to see ya, homie!

In response to all the BS I'm reading about "the code."

1) the Sabres had just scored two quick ones. Devane was on the ice to start something. That is Caryle's MO.

2) Tropp, god love his grit, should have never answered the bell there.

3) Devane had clearly won the fight. Instead of letting up, he appeared to finish off a helpless opponent by driving his head into the ice. Hard to tell if it was deliberate or not, but you can see why the Sabres would be concerned.

4) Rolston's response was to send out Scott to start something. Carlyle, in his own words, sent out Kessel in the hopes of stopping the retribution from happening.

5) Scott warned Kessel and dropped his gloves, and goes after him, but never actually swings. Watch the tape closely. He grabs him, then drops him immediately, expecting Leafs to jump in, which they did.

Like it or not, hockey plays all around, according to "the code."

Should be noted, that Scott was on the ice for the Tropp fight. It's not like Rolston just called his number after the Tropp fight and asked to start havoc.

Archived