GDT: Toronto at Buffalo 9-21-13 at 7PM and Sabres at Leafs Sunday night

spndnchz

In response to all the BS I'm reading about "the code."

5) Scott warned Kessel and dropped his gloves, and goes after him, but never actually swings. Watch the tape closely. He grabs him, then drops him immediately, expecting Leafs to jump in, which they did.

Like it or not, hockey plays all around, according to "the code."

We would disagree whether that was all according to "the code", but all Kessel had to do was to not engage. Kessel (non fighter) let Scott (fighter) get under his skin and get involved. Kessil isn't the innocent here. His stick work should merit a multi game suspension.

Last night, I was watching the NFL game. There, if you take a swing at someone, you get tossed. Free safeties hit receivers hard enough to dislodge the football and then both players get up, pat each other on the rump and go back to the huddle. No wonder it is the most popular televised sport in the USA (and why the NHL never will be...)

You seem to be snowed a bit. Perhaps you miss the weekly fines that occur in the NFL for unsafe hits, etc. There are guys out there hunting for injuries all the time. It makes little sense to punch someone in football since they have a full cage on their face. That said, it doesn't stop guys from putting their forearms in a guys throat as he tries to get himself up from the pile.

These are violent sports and there will be violence.

As for this game? I thought Devane caused more damage to Tropp at the end of the fight. It was ugly and the exact reason why they don't want players taking their helmets off during a fight. That said, it's going to happen, no matter what.

As for the response, I really didn't have a problem with Kessel using his stick to gain distance from Scott, but circling back and taking a two hander once Scott was engaged with other Leafs was completely uncalled for and should be a suspendable action.

As for Carlyle putting them on the ice? He's an idiot.

""I tried to defuse the situation by putting Kessel, Bozak, and Ashton on the ice (against Scott's line), feeling that there was no threat to something and more carrying on, but obviously I was wrong," said Carlyle."

Sorry Randy, that is ridiculous

""I tried to defuse the situation by putting Kessel, Bozak, and Ashton on the ice (against Scott's line), feeling that there was no threat to something and more carrying on, but obviously I was wrong," said Carlyle."

Sorry Randy, that is ridiculous

Translated that says "I'm sorry I hung my best players out to dry".

Leafs fans are pissed at him today.

Wow, nice article (sarcasm). Stay classy Toronto.

http://www.thestar.c...hate_kelly.html

As someone living in the GTA, I appologise for the arrogance that reaks of the T.O. media.

I tried to listen to Fan 590 today at noon to hear their perspective and it was brutal. According to their panel, the only two guys to blame are 1. Scott and 2. Rolston. They keep saying that RR brought in Scott only after the Tropp fight. They said Scott should be suspended for "stupidity".

As someone living in the GTA, I appologise for the arrogance that reaks of the T.O. media.

I'm just surprised that it was published in the Star. The Sun, I could see.

The last time Toronto won a game against the Sabres that really mattered was 1999. But they lost the other 4. So if it makes this guy feel better to treat the Sabres like some sort of annoying gnat at a picnic, so be it; I'll take the wins.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/09/23/buffalos_not_important_enough_to_hate_kelly.html

I normally don't really care about buffalo bashing but to hold high the virtues of Toronto and shamelessly pile on buffalo is just poor form.

I'm just surprised that it was published in the Star. The Sun, I could see.

The last time Toronto won a game against the Sabres that really mattered was 1999. But they lost the other 4. So if it makes this guy feel better to treat the Sabres like some sort of annoying gnat at a picnic, so be it; I'll take the wins.

Don't worry, we'll be the only ones reading his article. From his bio: "Cathal Kelly is a Toronto Star sports columnist with a focus on basketball, the NBA, Toronto Raptors, soccer, Toronto FC, the MLS and the international game. "

In other words, Cathal Kelly is a Toronto Star Sports Columnist with a focus on sports that don't matter in Toronto.

Don't worry, we'll be the only ones reading his article. From his bio: "Cathal Kelly is a Toronto Star sports columnist with a focus on basketball, the NBA, Toronto Raptors, soccer, Toronto FC, the MLS and the international game. "

In other words, Cathal Kelly is a Toronto Star Sports Columnist with a focus on sports that don't matter in Toronto.

I'm waiting for his write-up on the Bills game.

I normally don't really care about buffalo bashing but to hold high the virtues of Toronto and shamelessly pile on buffalo is just poor form.

Well, the article manages to take pot shots at Ottawa and Edmonton as well. Brilliant bit of work there. I guess every failing reporter needs to try that "hey what about me" article. What a joke that was.

I think goons going after star players is bad for the game, period. Just because we were the bullies this time as opposed to the nerdy kid who gets beat up isn't going to make me change my opinion. Maybe "the code" dictates this is necessary, whatever, that's not going to make me glorify something I don't find entertaining.

Well that's it right there. You, personally, don't find it entertaining. My wife doesn't find boxing entertaining.

I, OTOH, find it extremely entertaining; both boxing and violent hockey.

Last night, I was watching the NFL game. There, if you take a swing at someone, you get tossed. Free safeties hit receivers hard enough to dislodge the football and then both players get up, pat each other on the rump and go back to the huddle. No wonder it is the most popular televised sport in the USA (and why the NHL never will be...)

...meanwhile, I do not find large men patting each other on the ass entertaining. Nor do I find all of the penalties making a violent game "safe" entertaining.

"We value respectful and thoughtful discussion. Readers are encouraged to flag comments that fail to meet the standards outlined in our Community Code of Conduct."

Apparently they do not value good writing.

Well that's it right there. You, personally, don't find it entertaining. My wife doesn't find boxing entertaining.

I, OTOH, find it extremely entertaining; both boxing and violent hockey.

...meanwhile, I do not find large men patting each other on the ass entertaining. Nor do I find all of the penalties making a violent game "safe" entertaining.

Your conception of entertainment is obviously incorrect :P

Yes Tropp is a willingly participant. Yes he lost. The problem is Devane knew that troop was out on his feet and proceeded to hit him again and then drive his body to the ice with a forearm shiver to his head.

You see guys go out on their feet all the time but the winner lets them fall slowly to the ice, even holding them up so they don't hurt the guy as he falls.

B-I-N-G-O! Give this lady a prize. It's such a simple cause and effect I don't understand all of the gray area being introduced by the generalizing-pacifists.

What the heck was Kessel thinking when he decided to reach over towards John Scott prior to the face-off?

What the heck was Kessel thinking when he decided to two had slash John Scott's ankles from behind?

What the heck was Kessel thinking when he decided to spear John Scott when the fight was almost over?

The first slash might be explained away; however, Kessel was clearly in no danger when he decided to slash Scott a second time.

I could only imagine what was going through the minds of the Sabres youngsters.

I'm honestly not sure how much he could have done to avoid it. Tropp was clutching his jersey and shoulderpad as he fell backwards to the ice.

Tropp had clearly lost before the last punch. An experienced thug knows this. Ray et al talk about it enough. Tropp didn't need to go down...period.

Archived