The Captain

Doohickie

Agreed with wjag and 11. While Vanek is clearly our most talented player and I appreciate that he cares enough to get frustrated with himself when he's not producing, I don't think he'd make a good captain. You can't rally the troops when you're too busy making Vanek-face and beating yourself up.

i agree with not giving the C to Vanek

Most people always want to give it to the most skilled player all the time and think that just because he is the most skilled he should be the leader, but vanek has never struck me as a Leader type. I'm not saying that as a bad thing though, there are just some who are not leaders out there. i can't picture him as a take charge of the room and rally the troops kind of guy. He comes accross more as the quiet, gets the job done on his own type guy.

Now, I also don't think it really matters who the captain is, and believe that putting a C on any player isn't going to change how the team plays on the ice. You don't need a C or and A on your jersey to speak up and rally the guys to win, and if you do, theres something wrong.

C - Ott - I like what wjag said above. A team should be channeled through its captain. Ott has a natural energy to him and reminds me of a Briere, go-tema-go kinda guy in interviews. I have to believe that same attitude comes out in the locker room too.

A - Vanek - Veteran team leader at this point. However, due to language barrier or just plain personality differences I don't think he expresses himself well. Again, I think this probably translates to the locker room as well.

A - Weber - He's really come into his own with the Sabres organization and is a great example to younger Sabres regarding teammate protection (ie facewashing people like Carcillo when they get in Miller's crease).

While I think the anti-Vanek sentiments have merit, I also think they are more about the 26-year-old Thomas Vanek than today's.

I think he is ready to take this step.

I agree. I also think he wants it. At least it seemed that way back when Ruff gave it to Pommer. Whether that makes him a good leader or not I don't know, but it wouldn't be reluctant leadership. Didn't Ott also say something last year to the effect of Vanek being the team leader?

I agree. I also think he wants it. At least it seemed that way back when Ruff gave it to Pommer. Whether that makes him a good leader or not I don't know, but it wouldn't be reluctant leadership. Didn't Ott also say something last year to the effect of Vanek being the team leader?

I think he is. And I think Ott would throw himself in front of a bus for Thomas.

I think it should be Vanek. I also think we are going to see a different Vanek this year. It was no secret that Ruff rode him hard (that doesn't sound good) and they didn't get along, and I really think that hampered his play. I'm hoping Vanek plays even better under Rolston because I think Rolston will treat him better.

C = Weber

A = Ott

A = Ehrhoff

Spent some time thinking about this, this morning. I could get behind Weber as a captain. This team has had three "mean" captains in its history. Excluding the one who was at the end of his career (Rivet), the team made the finals each of the other two times. And as I've said before, I like Weber's brand of "mean." He may not be the most talented defenseman on the team, but I'm not so sure that Schony was, either.

I am ambivalent about Vanek getting the C, for the reasons stated above. If the season goes as I expect it will, it will be awkward when the time comes to move your captain at the trade deadline for a second consecutive year.

A lot of talk about Ott and Weber, and I agree that both should be in the mix for letters. A question, though: Is their personal relationship (they're practically brothers) a factor that weighs against placing too much on their shoulders (upper chests)?

I am ambivalent about Vanek getting the C, for the reasons stated above. If the season goes as I expect it will, it will be awkward when the time comes to move your captain at the trade deadline for a second consecutive year.

A lot of talk about Ott and Weber, and I agree that both should be in the mix for letters. A question, though: Is their personal relationship (they're practically brothers) a factor that weighs against placing too much on their shoulders (upper chests)?

Why?

Lets make it their room now. I just cant get around the idea of Vanek wearing a C. Ott to a lesser extent because he's always on the edge but I could live with him way before Vanek. Outside of Weber or Ott there isn't anyone on this team that qualifies at this point to me.

Why?

Mind your manners, sonny boy -- it's rude to respond to a question with a question. :P

Maybe I need to lay a little foundation: Is there a way in which Ott as captain and Weber with an "A" would consolidate too much ... what, power? (not sure that's what it is) ... or maybe it's better stated as favor (maybe that's it) in two players who are so closely connected off the ice? Such that, if you're a guy in that room that doesn't relate well to Ott or Weber, then maybe you're not as incorporated into the team culture as you otherwise might be?

I know, I know. It's already starting to sounds like pop psychology as applied to a middle-school-aged hockey team.

There are a goodly number of non-North American players on the team and in its future. One of the older ones will get a letter, I suspect.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Mind your manners, sonny boy -- it's rude to respond to a question with a question. :P

Maybe I need to lay a little foundation: Is there a way in which Ott as captain and Weber with an "A" would consolidate too much ... what, power? (not sure that's what it is) ... or maybe it's better stated as favor (maybe that's it) in two players who are so closely connected off the ice? Such that, if you're a guy in that room that doesn't relate well to Ott or Weber, then maybe you're not as incorporated into the team culture as you otherwise might be?

I know, I know. It's already starting to sounds like pop psychology as applied to a middle-school-aged hockey team.

There are a goodly number of non-North American players on the team and in its future. One of the older ones will get a letter, I suspect.

See that answers the why :P

Anywho, I understand what you are thinking but if they are good leaders they will be fair across the board. Not sure if they could be but I would hope that they would try and include everyone and build a team as opposed to being buddy buddy with some guys and not caring about others.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.