The Captain

Doohickie

A thought about having Ott as captain and Weber as asst.: If Ott isn't signed and is either traded late or in the next off season, Weber could tank. I don't want to say he's only going to do well as long as he's on the same team as Ott, but it could put a weird twist in his ability to lead if Ott vanishes.

I don't want Weber to get the C because I'm still not convinced he's more than a 3rd pairing defenseman. I don't need my captain to be the best player on the team but I do want him to be better than that.

This had occurred to me as well. I'd be fine with Webby as captain IF he's safely left healthy-scratch territory behind (which hasn't yet happened in his career) and he's playing 18 min or so per game (and as far as that goes, I kinda expect the 2nd and 3rd pairs to be roughly equal in minutes over the course of the season) -- but I'd like to feel comfortable that this is indeed the case.

You gotta be F'N kidding me? Pink shirt, ministicks, hair product, riding mower in a polo shirt while listening to Michael Buble on an Ipod as the captain? I pray this is a stab in the dark.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jonathan+toews&client=firefox-a&hs=lsb&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=9zxDUr2DAeG62AXHqoHADA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1664&bih=790&dpr=1.15

You gotta be F'N kidding me? Pink shirt, ministicks, hair product, riding mower in a polo shirt while listening to Michael Buble on an Ipod as the captain? I pray this is a stab in the dark.

How about listening live?

@michaelbuble: Got to hang with two great guys from @BuffaloSabres before tonight's show #Buffalo #MBWorldTour… http://t.co/HyZyWKU7L4

I'm going to save a classic rant until it really happens.....but if they make him captain, this is the EXACT same "BLUEPRINT that failed in 2007. Gut the team of vets, put all the pressure and expectation on young guys with "potential", and enjoy.

Spent some time thinking about this, this morning. I could get behind Weber as a captain. This team has had three "mean" captains in its history. Excluding the one who was at the end of his career (Rivet), the team made the finals each of the other two times. And as I've said before, I like Weber's brand of "mean." He may not be the most talented defenseman on the team, but I'm not so sure that Schony was, either.

This was my line of thinking, as well.

As to the bolded and underlined part of your post ...

Three "mean" captains in the teams history ... how would you classify Gare?

I'm going to save a classic rant until it really happens.....but if they make him captain, this is the EXACT same "BLUEPRINT that failed in 2007. Gut the team of vets, put all the pressure and expectation on young guys with "potential", and enjoy.

What do you expect when it's the same architect? Your post has pretty much sealed the deal for me. If I knew how to give odds, I'd give them on Hodgson getting the "C" - it makes perfect sense now that he will.

You assume all young players are exactly the same. I'd give it to someone else but a lot of teams make young guys captains and do just fine. Also ruff changed captains every year or so, making a young gun with a 6 yr deal captain is different.

I don't want CoHo as captain, either (read my posts in this thread). I'm just pointing out the stupidity, which it is, of crossing him out because of how he dressed one day.

PS: There's another team on the Great Lakes that put all the pressure and expectation on young guys with potential. They even put the "C" on one. Two Cups later...

Problem isn't that the guys are young. Problem is that the young guys aren't the right guys to wear it.

Edited by Eleven

I want to mea culpa on my previous comments about Vanek. I have not thought of him worthy of even an A while some have suggested a C.

Tonight's performance on this team makes me believe he deserves nothing less than an A and if he were to re sign prior to the start of the season give him the C.

He was a man amongst boys tonight and showed a lot of the traits needed to be Captain. He Hit. He should have scored. He was a GREAT playmaker and had a presence on the ice. A needed presence on the ice. Veteran savy experience. I am on record as saying we DON'T HAVE A CAPTAIN on this team and that scares me.

Forgive me for saying this after observing one live pre season game but that does explain where this team is at. So Vanek deserves something and if we don't at least give him an A I think his feelings are hurt and he is gone. And there in lies the rub. Should your Captain or A be that fragile that his feelings are hurt?

No. Of course not but Darcy/Ruff has painted us into this corner and we have to deal with it.

So I guess my Captaincy is the mix of Vanek, Ott and Weber. And if Vanek declines and is gone than I am putting an A on Myers or Erhoff.

Forgive my spelling errors and any negative feelings you have towards me. A new season is upon us. Lets start fresh.

My starting line is Scott, Kaleta and Girgs. Have a nice day!

Again, I don't think Vanek is the type of guy who needs a letter to feel good about himself.

I disagree. Tell me he didn't sulk somewhat when he didn't get it. More importantly in the here and now status of THIS team, tell me he doesn't sulk and basically wait it out till he's gone. I think he feels slighted and that's ok as long as he comes to play. However, I believe we do reward and recognize the people that deserve it going forward. Not the people that Lindy feels he can control.

No Lindy is a whole new ball game around here. That said I have also said I'm not interested in paying this man 9 mil per season on a new contract and if that's the case ship him out and don't worry about his feelings. But his sulky play would net us a lot less than a productive happy camper who we plan on shipping out anyway. Even if he knows it.

Again, I don't think Vanek is the type of guy who needs a letter to feel good about himself.

Maybe, maybe not, but it certainly seemed to me he wanted it when it was given to Pommer.

That said, I think people are too quick to dismiss Hodgson. Frankly we have no idea what he's like in the locker room, and Drury wasn't exactly Mr. Fire and Brimstone publicly.

Drury wasn't exactly Mr. Fire and Brimstone publicly.

i can totally see hodgson turning off a blaring stereo in the locker room, cattle calling people into the weight room after a game, and mandating bland chicken dishes on game day.

#thingsistillrememberabout20062007

#chrisdrurywasagrumpyoldman

#chrisdrurywasalsoaneffectivecaptain

My 2 cents.

Ott for the C. He may not be the most skilled, but he is a competitor and does a very good job filling his role. He has the spark that can get the team fired up (IMHO).

Vanek for the 1st A. He's too talented on the ice to not have a letter even though I don't believe he has the right personality to be the captain. I could see him running/leading a company, but not a hockey team.

Ehrhoff for the 2nd A. It needs to be a d (again IMHO) and he brings the best combination of skill and experience. If Myers had had another strong season (to go with the rookie campaign) I'd give it to him. If Weber had a bit more experience or a lock on a top 4 spot, I'd consider him as well.

I fully expect guys like Weber speaking up even though/if

they don't wear a letter.

I disagree. Tell me he didn't sulk somewhat when he didn't get it. More importantly in the here and now status of THIS team, tell me he doesn't sulk and basically wait it out till he's gone. I think he feels slighted and that's ok as long as he comes to play. However, I believe we do reward and recognize the people that deserve it going forward. Not the people that Lindy feels he can control.

No Lindy is a whole new ball game around here. That said I have also said I'm not interested in paying this man 9 mil per season on a new contract and if that's the case ship him out and don't worry about his feelings. But his sulky play would net us a lot less than a productive happy camper who we plan on shipping out anyway. Even if he knows it.

1. That's what he does. He sulks. In fact, I believe that "Vanek" might mean "sulker" in some weird German dialect deep in the Osterreich. Don't get me wrong; I love the guy, but he's Eeyore with mad skills.

2. Silly, and there's no backup for it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.