Sabres Prospect Zemgus Girgensons

carpandean

When I heard the story of how he was STILL blocking shots when his team was down by 11 goals, that's all I needed to know about the cut of this kids jib. He can't get in the locker room and assert a leadership role fast enough.

GO SABRES!!!

So are people getting ahead of themselves with Girgensons, based on a Gragnani-like sample size? People I respect are penciling him into the lineup in the top-6, and Matt Coller who I also respect has demanded he be in the lineup. I'm excited about him too, but I think we need to take a deep breath and remember a year ago he was in the USHL and spent the vast majority of the year in Rochester playing wing in sheltered minutes.

So are people getting ahead of themselves with Girgensons, based on a Gragnani-like sample size? People I respect are penciling him into the lineup in the top-6, and Matt Coller who I also respect has demanded he be in the lineup. I'm excited about him too, but I think we need to take a deep breath and remember a year ago he was in the USHL and spent the vast majority of the year in Rochester playing wing in sheltered minutes.

He is the new Foligno. By the end of preseason people will be demanding he is made captain to lead the new core. He has that exciting all round good but not excellent at anything style that folks here love. I would rather we slowed his development and had him top line centre, playing all situations for 20 minutes in the A than on the 3rd/4th line playing 12 (a.k.a. The Foligno) here.

I think Grigo was rushed because fans really want stars on this team. They want that name to rally around and they want that guy who can be your best player, play all situations and be the captain (Toews). I think we have the guys to do it, but we need to let them learn to play those roles in the AHL before the NHL. Not to mention, we have all said Grigo's biggest development hindrance is that he is not ready for the NHL but too good for the CHL. Well i imagine it will be the same with Girgs

He is the new Foligno. By the end of preseason people will be demanding he is made captain to lead the new core. He has that exciting all round good but not excellent at anything style that folks here love. I would rather we slowed his development and had him top line centre, playing all situations for 20 minutes in the A than on the 3rd/4th line playing 12 (a.k.a. The Foligno) here.

I think Grigo was rushed because fans really want stars on this team. They want that name to rally around and they want that guy who can be your best player, play all situations and be the captain (Toews). I think we have the guys to do it, but we need to let them learn to play those roles in the AHL before the NHL. Not to mention, we have all said Grigo's biggest development hindrance is that he is not ready for the NHL but too good for the CHL. Well i imagine it will be the same with Girgs

In that case, I look forward to the day when someone here has the handle "GirgensonsJock". :nana:

Yea I agree that we are ahead of ourselves with him. I agree with some other posters here that he should be playing 18-20mins a night on the Amerks top line. He should spend the entire season there playing in all situations and never once be called up to Buffalo regardless of injuries and how he progresses. Next season, unleash the beast.

Honestly I really want to see Girgensons play all season with Catenacci. Those two should be able to light it up. Larsson should be the 2nd line Center or Girgensons other winger. Let us start building chemistry now with these guys and see if they can tear up the AHL. Lots of time to let them develop. 19/20yr olds can sit in the AHL for a year or two more, learn to be pros.

Grigo was rushed because the team was bereft of centers and still is.

He just seems to have a lot of fun playing hockey. And he back checks.

Hopefully he'll front check, the NHL has been cracking down on hits from... ooooooh nevermind :)

For me personally, I knew he would always be the teams savior. It was that time when he walked over to Fort Erie without using the Peace Bridge.

I know, right?

Remember when everyone was drooling over Z. Kassian?

Now, there's a new Z.

It used to appear Kassian had that fire in his eye. I'm not sure what happened along the way. They talk about consistency and maturity n shite. It appears now that Zemgus has that same fire plus a work ethic and desire that I'm not sure I remember them saying about Zack. Man I hope he's the real deal.

It used to appear Kassian had that fire in his eye. I'm not sure what happened along the way. They talk about consistency and maturity n shite. It appears now that Zemgus has that same fire plus a work ethic and desire that I'm not sure I remember them saying about Zack. Man I hope he's the real deal.

Lindy beat him with a hockey stick and then made him dress up in high heels and stockings. Took away his manhood.

GO SABRES!!!

The NHL competition level is what happened to Kassian, and it will happen to all of our prospects, sooner or later.

I can fully understand the desire to view prospects as "NHL ready" or "prepared to play the role at the NHL level" but the truth of the matter is the compete level league wide from the AHL on through to the CHL, USHL and various other leagues both here and over seas isn't nearly as intense, quick and skilled as the NHL level.

Don't expect greatness from any of our current prospects, it'll be a huge let down, to all fans. Instead, keep your expectations tempered with the reality of transitioning to a much faster game with highly skilled and experienced players who will undoubtedly expose weaknesses in the young kids game across the board.

In short, we are in for a heavy learning curve, let's not get ahead of ourselves here......................

Edited by HopefulFuture

The NHL competition level is what happened to Kassian, and it will happen to all of our prospects, sooner or later.

I can fully understand the desire to view prospects as "NHL ready" or "prepared to play the role at the NHL level" but the truth of the matter is the compete level league wide from the AHL on through to the CHL, USHL and various other leagues both here and over seas isn't nearly as intense, quick and skilled as the NHL level.

Don't expect greatness from any of our current prospects, it'll be a huge let down, to all fans. Instead, keep your expectations tempered with the reality of transitioning to a much faster game with highly skilled and experienced players who will undoubtedly expose weaknesses in the young kids game across the board.

In short, we are in for a heavy learning curve, let's not get ahead of ourselves here......................

You're right but every teams prospects go through the same learning curve. Some of them shine. Hopefully we'll find a diamond in the rough with a few of ours.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.